+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self-employed Proof

javierlok

Jul 20, 2018
Hi everyone,

I was the owner of a small restaurant business in 2009 and closed it down in 2013. So I don't have invoices from my suppliers with me anymore and everything was done through cash (no credit card transaction). My question is how can I proof to the CIC that I had my business back then? I have my patent, balance sheet issued by the Minister of Finance, but no bank statement. Can I ask my suppliers to make a letter to list what I bought from them before? But they will not able to issue the invoices back in 2009 because everything was thrown out. Their invoice was based on hand written papers and you paid cash upfront. Can anyone help me out? I don't want to make any misrepresentation to CIC.

larack

Star Member
Aug 3, 2017
Hi everyone,

I was the owner of a small restaurant business in 2009 and closed it down in 2013. So I don't have invoices from my suppliers with me anymore and everything was done through cash (no credit card transaction). My question is how can I proof to the CIC that I had my business back then? I have my patent, balance sheet issued by the Minister of Finance, but no bank statement. Can I ask my suppliers to make a letter to list what I bought from them before? But they will not able to issue the invoices back in 2009 because everything was thrown out. Their invoice was based on hand written papers and you paid cash upfront. Can anyone help me out? I don't want to make any misrepresentation to CIC.
Which NOC does this fall under? Are you claiming points for this business experience? If you are not claiming points, you can mention this experience under "Personal History" and there is no need to provide any documentation. If this is eligible for points and if you are trying to claim, then you need to provide documentation. If this is a registered business under your name, there should be some registration documents right?

javierlok

Jul 20, 2018
Which NOC does this fall under? Are you claiming points for this business experience? If you are not claiming points, you can mention this experience under "Personal History" and there is no need to provide any documentation. If this is eligible for points and if you are trying to claim, then you need to provide documentation. If this is a registered business under your name, there should be some registration documents right?

NOC 0631 Manager for restaurant and bar. I couldn't find "owner for restaurant". I am trying to claim points. Here is my situation, my business was opened on Jan 1st, 2009 and closed down on Dec. 31, 2013. However I was physically from Jan 1st, 2009 till Dec. 16, 2009 ( was the date I arrived in Canada for study purpose). I know this is not a one year period to claim foreign experience but I am not sure if the CIC officer will be lenient with my case. My business had a registration paper which we call it, Patent. My patent is black and white I am not sure if they will convince to the CIC officer. Also I have my balance sheet (include tax file in it) issued by the Minister of Finance and Commerce. Last thing, I do not have invoices from my suppliers and all transaction was done in cash. No bank statement because I will go to the bank deposit a bulk of money and wirthdraw whenever we need. Good things, I can get a reference letter from at least 2 suppliers that can say my business was established (of course that is not proof because anyone can make up that letter that will be a common sense for the CIC officer). I really want to get that one year foreign work experience that will boost my point enough to get ITA. Any recommendations, thoughts, advices, suggestions are welcome!

Raz0r

Jul 9, 2017
NOC 0631 Manager for restaurant and bar. I couldn't find "owner for restaurant". I am trying to claim points. Here is my situation, my business was opened on Jan 1st, 2009 and closed down on Dec. 31, 2013. However I was physically from Jan 1st, 2009 till Dec. 16, 2009 ( was the date I arrived in Canada for study purpose). I know this is not a one year period to claim foreign experience but I am not sure if the CIC officer will be lenient with my case. My business had a registration paper which we call it, Patent. My patent is black and white I am not sure if they will convince to the CIC officer. Also I have my balance sheet (include tax file in it) issued by the Minister of Finance and Commerce. Last thing, I do not have invoices from my suppliers and all transaction was done in cash. No bank statement because I will go to the bank deposit a bulk of money and wirthdraw whenever we need. Good things, I can get a reference letter from at least 2 suppliers that can say my business was established (of course that is not proof because anyone can make up that letter that will be a common sense for the CIC officer). I really want to get that one year foreign work experience that will boost my point enough to get ITA. Any recommendations, thoughts, advices, suggestions are welcome!
If you have the related NOC and can prove that you had received payments for your business, you are good to go. What is your CRS score breakdown? Have you calculated yet??

javierlok

Jul 20, 2018
If you have the related NOC and can prove that you had received payments for your business, you are good to go. What is your CRS score breakdown? Have you calculated yet??

I think it is not possible for me because I didn't get a degree or diploma. In their CRS tool calculator mentions "..skilled work experience" which means that if you graduated and established your business can count as foreign work experience and thus you can get points from it. I won't be able to prove the payments because everything is thrown out. Only got patent and balance sheet, that is all.

Raz0r

Jul 9, 2017
I think it is not possible for me because I didn't get a degree or diploma. In their CRS tool calculator mentions "..skilled work experience" which means that if you graduated and established your business can count as foreign work experience and thus you can get points from it. I won't be able to prove the payments because everything is thrown out. Only got patent and balance sheet, that is all.
Oh ok. Then best bet would be to visit a Consultant and see if you have the eligibility for the EE program or not. Good luck.