+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self Employed Musician as Foreign Work Experience

Mar 3, 2021
Hi,

So I am starting to get my paperwork in order to apply and have hit somewhat of a dead end when trying to find out information on this topic. Before the pandemic I spent the past 10 years working as a self employed musician in my home country. I spent one of those years also working a part time job, so it is my understanding that I can't include that particular year in my foreign work experience?

I currently have invoices relating to all my years work, however I am unsure as to what else will be needed along side this information? Some articles and posts suggest needing a letter of confirmation from each person I worked for, which for some of my work may be unattainable as I spent time regularly working with an artist who is now deceased. I also spent several years regularly teaching at a particular school as a third party contractor, which again, I can't find too much information about.

I only plan on using this as my foreign work experience as I will have a years worth of work in Canada in a skilled job by the time I apply.

I'm hoping someone could shed some light on this situation or point me in the direction of a good source of information.

Thanks in advance

Paula Reis

May 23, 2021
Hi! Me and my husband are in the same boat. he is a professional musician for 10 years, he has the proof of jobs and albuns he has worked in.
However, he is not graduated in university, just his experience, festivals and concerts would tell his profession.
Do you think graduation is mandatory? I read some articles saying a degree was needed but they also mentioned a musician as a teacher, not as a self employed artist.
Please let me know if you found more details or had already submitted your form and got some clarification form them.
Thanks a lot.
Cheers,