+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self employed category - Athletes

katvyce

Dec 17, 2011
Hi!

My husband & I would both be eligible to apply under the skilled workers category if got job offers. But I can see there is an option to apply under the self employed section if you are a 'world class athlete'.

My husband is an ice climber and competes in the Ice World Cup (organised by UIAA). Last year he placed around 15 in the world, this year it should be much higher. Ice climbing should be included in the winter olympics for the first time in 2014.

Q1: Does this count as being eligible under the athlete category? Or is there someone we can contact to check this?
Q2: Assuming this is eligible, is it likely that this would get a faster result than finding a job and going the skilled worker route?

Answers would be greatly appreciated!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

katvyce said:
Hi!

My husband & I would both be eligible to apply under the skilled workers category if got job offers. But I can see there is an option to apply under the self employed section if you are a 'world class athlete'.

My husband is an ice climber and competes in the Ice World Cup (organised by UIAA). Last year he placed around 15 in the world, this year it should be much higher. Ice climbing should be included in the winter olympics for the first time in 2014.

Q1: Does this count as being eligible under the athlete category? Or is there someone we can contact to check this?
Q2: Assuming this is eligible, is it likely that this would get a faster result than finding a job and going the skilled worker route?

Answers would be greatly appreciated!
1. Extremely unlikely.
2. No, self employed processing times range between 20 and 81 months. see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/self-fed.asp Very few qualify.

Stellia

May 4, 2012
Hello

I arrived on a tourist visa, I am a professional sporstmen biatlone.Mne in 22 years. I spoke with President Biathlon Federation of Calgary. He said that he accepts me. I can train in Calgary. He said that he would write a letter to file an immigration program. Say I have a chance to get a resident, if the president of the Federation of Biathlon agreed? Can I apply for immigration? and ends in July, has a tourist visa I need to prolong it? or can I just apply for immigration?

Regards

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You need to prolong your tourist visa. Applying for immigration does not give you the right to remain in Canada.

Stellia

May 4, 2012
scylla said:
You need to prolong your tourist visa. Applying for immigration does not give you the right to remain in Canada.
Hello

Say I have a chance to stay in Canada? If I am applying for immigration in self employed. If I write a letter to the president of the federation I have a chance to immigrate?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sorry - I don't know.

ihabkal

Oct 8, 2010
everyone wants to apply as self employed well good luck with that. there are hundreds of applicants in some visa offices and they only let in a handfull every year, you have better chance of immigrating in any other category.