+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self employed category as a religious singer

Sep 22, 2019
Hi, I am a religious singer (sikh religion) with 20+ plus years of experience. I am planning to apply under the self employed category. I have a few questions before I apply
  • How much time does it take to get the file number? Anyone who applied recently, how much time did it take for the file number to arrive?
  • If i apply from inside canada, can i apply for work permit once i get the file number?
Any help or information from the anyone who has applied in the past will be greatly appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, I am a religious singer (sikh religion) with 20+ plus years of experience. I am planning to apply under the self employed category. I have a few questions before I apply
  • How much time does it take to get the file number? Anyone who applied recently, how much time did it take for the file number to arrive?
  • If i apply from inside canada, can i apply for work permit once i get the file number?
Any help or information from the anyone who has applied in the past will be greatly appreciated.
1) It takes a few months to get a file number.
2) No - you will not qualify for a work permit.

Sep 22, 2019
1) It takes a few months to get a file number.
2) No - you will not qualify for a work permit.
1) Is few months 2 months or 6 months?
2) Why wont i qualify for the open work permit? As per the link here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=177&top=17, point 4 states that "You are eligible for open WP if you have applied for permanent residence in Canada".

I wanted to clarify that if I apply for PR from inside canada, wont I be eligible to apply for open work permit once my file/application number comes?

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) Is few months 2 months or 6 months?
2) Why wont i qualify for the open work permit? As per the link here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=177&top=17, point 4 states that "You are eligible for open WP if you have applied for permanent residence in Canada".

I wanted to clarify that if I apply for PR from inside canada, wont I be eligible to apply for open work permit once my file/application number comes?
1) I don't know.
2) The link you've quoted only provides the high level requirements - you need to read the detailed requirements. The reference to having applied for PR from in Canada refers to individuals who have applied for PR through the spousal sponsorship stream in family class - it does not apply to you. There are a number of conditions you have to meet as an economic immigration applicant to qualify for a work permit while you wait. One of those is that you must already hold a valid Canadian work permit.

Sep 22, 2019
1) I don't know.
2) The link you've quoted only provides the high level requirements - you need to read the detailed requirements. The reference to having applied for PR from in Canada refers to individuals who have applied for PR through the spousal sponsorship stream in family class - it does not apply to you. There are a number of conditions you have to meet as an economic immigration applicant to qualify for a work permit while you wait. One of those is that you must already hold a valid Canadian work permit.
In reference to holding a valid Canadian WP, i already have one (i have the religious work permit) which is set to expire in nov2019.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
In reference to holding a valid Canadian WP, i already have one (i have the religious work permit) which is set to expire in nov2019.
It's still a no if you apply through the Self Employed immigration stream. Individuals applying through this immigration stream do not qualify for a bridging open work permit.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/provincial-nominees-permanent-resident-applicants/bridging-open-work-permits.html

You'll only qualify if you apply for PR through Express Entry.