+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self Employed (Author, Writer)

Discussion in 'Business Immigration' started by annaanna, Jul 22, 2014.

  1. Hello,

    I'm new to this forum. Hi everyone :). I just started researching immigration to Canada under the self employed category. I recently opened my own company which focuses a lot on copywriting and content writing for blogs, websites, brochures, etc. I have also published a few books and I am just now starting to generate income from my activities. However, I have been writing for over 10 years. I just never pursued it actively before now. My work is very location independent and I run it on my own from home and can work anywhere as long as I have a laptop and internet connection. I also have all the funds required to settle in Canada but my company is less than a year old. Would that count against me if I apply under the self-employed category for Authors and Writers now? Or should I just wait for about a year before applying? Thanks in advance for your answers :)
  2. My understanding is that it takes a lot of money and even more time to choose this pathway to Canada.

    As an independent artist myself, I wish you all the best in this endeavor.

    The good news, is that if you do come to Canada to visit, you wouldn't need a work permit, since you work remotely for clients outside on Canada (and so long as you are not remunerated in CDN dollars from an individual, or company in Canada). :)

    Good luck!
  3. I immigrated under the self employment category and I only had a little over the required the settlement funds. I do believe they look for a certain number of years of self employment experience though, so you might want to look into that a little more.

    However as Ponga mentioned, you could still visit from time to time as a tourist to Canada.. When I traveled to Canada to visit family and friends prior to immigrating, the customs officials sometimes asked how I was able to make time to visit (and/or what my employment situation was), and I was always honest about how I was a self employed freelancer (with clients in the States, not in Canada). You might want to bring copies of your business license, client contracts, and bank statement too, just in case they request you prove your employment status and ability to support yourself while visiting, and demonstrate that you fully intend to return home after your visit.
  4. Hi,

    When residing in Canada, remember to check whether you will have any tax implications in Canada from your earned income. If yes, ensure to comply with all tax requirements in order to avoid any penalties and interest.

    Madan CA

Share This Page