+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self-Employed as freelance consultant... possible?

Jun 11, 2013
Hello,

here's my doubt:

have I got any chance to move into Canada by self-employment program to work as a freelance IT consultant?

Yes, I know that profession is not in the list, but still it is the only field I have experience in.

I'm an European master-graduated in software engineering guy who has some years experience in the ICT sector having worked for a big company in my country. I like the idea to lighten up a bit 'workload (I'm economically hedged) and still have the possibility to settle in the True North :)

They told me part-time is not allowed for Temporary Working Permits (is that correct?) so... may this be an alternative?

Thanks for your attencion anyways!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's not entirely clear if you are looking to move to Canada temporarily or permanently.

If you want to come to Canada on a temporary work permit (i.e. on a temporary basis) - then you'll need to be hired by a specific company. You can't get a work permit by virtue of being a freelancer. The company that hires you will need to give you a full time job offer and also obtain an approved Labour Market Opinion. As part of the LMO process, they will have to advertise the job and prove there were no suitable Canadians to hire for the role. If the LMO is approved, you can then apply for a closed work permit that will be tied to that specific employer.

Depending on your age and location, you might also qualify for the working holiday visa program (IEC) - which gives you an open work permit for a year.

If you are actually looking to immigrate to Canada (move permanently), then you'll have to read through the various programs available to determine if you qualify to apply based on your education, profession and other criteria. You can find this information here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/apply.asp

Jun 11, 2013
Thanks for your answer!

I don't want to forge ahead.

Yes. The basic idea is to move permanently. I saw your Country and I really liked it, but I think I'll do things gradually :)

The problem is I don't really need to work since I've got wide economic coverage, and still I really like the idea to come and breathe that Canadian air without having to worry about anything, but apparently there's no way to do that without finding a full time job, that is even fair enough I think...