+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self Employed Application & Type 1 Diabetes

typeaimages

Star Member
Apr 1, 2020
I've read most of the posts regarding Medical Admissibility and Type 1 Diabetes, but I have some additional questions that hopefully some folks can help me out with.
Given the ever changing policies under the Business Immigration, has anyone successfully immigrated under this stream with a Type 1 Diabetes diagnoses (well-controlled, on insulin and a CGM - Continuous Glucose Monitor....so not needing test strips). My 9 year old daughter is a diabetic. Our lawyer has cautiously said they don't believe it will be an issue, but I haven't been able to find anyone who has Type 1 and successfully immigrated in the past few years.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
Medical inadmissibility has nothing to do with "the ever changing policies under the Business Immigration", but be that as it may the only possible grounds for medical inadmissibility in your case is Excessive Demand, which is defined as follows:
Excessive demand on health or social services
We may refuse your application if we believe that your health condition might cause an excessive demand on health or social services. This decision is based on the results of your immigration medical exam.
Your condition is considered to cause an excessive demand if:
  • the health or social services needed to treat your health condition would negatively affect wait times for services in Canada, or
  • the services needed to treat and manage your health condition would likely cost more than the excessive demand cost threshold
Excessive demand cost threshold
2019 cost threshold (under the temporary public policy)
$102,585 over 5 years (or $20,517 per year)
Calculation of the excessive demand cost threshold

This is an amount that we use to decide if the cost of your condition places an excessive demand on Canada’s health and social services.
In June 2018, the Government of Canada announced changes to the excessive demand policy. Under the new policy, the cost threshold amount is increased. The new amount is now three times the Canadian average cost for health and social services. We’ll update this amount every year, based on the latest Canadian average.

What is the cost of your daughter's medications and/or equipment such as continuous glucose monitor.? And keep in mind that this calculation will be based on the most expensive option available. So, in order to force a realistic assessment of the costs of treatment, you should include a summary of your current costs and, if you find that costs may reach or exceed the excessive demand threshold, you should also create a mitigation plan.

Mitigation plan
If we believe your health condition might cause excessive demand on Canada’s health or social services, we may invite you to send us a mitigation plan. You’ll only be invited to do this if it applies to your specific situation.

Learn how to prepare a mitigation plan for excessive demand.

marcoch54

Jan 11, 2020
What is the cost of your daughter's medications and/or equipment such as continuous glucose monitor.? And keep in mind that this calculation will be based on the most expensive option availa snaptube word to pdf vidmate ble. So, in order to force a realistic assessment of the costs of treatment, you should include a summary of your current costs and, if you find that costs may reach or exceed the excessive demand threshold, you should also create a mitigation plan.

Last edited:

kmsbytes

Star Member
Apr 22, 2018
Category........
Other
Any updates on same yet. As per my searches, it appears Type1 itself if in good control is good. I am wondering how long it takes for MEP for Type1 cases. IF that like even for good control cases, it goes for 2-3 level approvals and takes 4-5 months just for MEP or MEP happens just like normal applications if its in control? Anyone T1 please share your MEP pass deadlines preferably with hba1c level just to get rough idea about whats the norm for guys like us. Thanks

typeaimages

Star Member
Apr 1, 2020
No big updates here. Our application is in but we are now in a waiting game, especially with COVID delays.
All I've heard is that Type 1 isn't a huge deterrent as long as it's well controlled, so we are working on getting our daughter's A1C down.