+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self-Employed Application - Question on relationship status

jaxopa

Dec 31, 2020
I submitted an application for Canada PR under the self-employment stream. I have been in a relationship for 1.5 years, but it has been long distance as I cannot bring her to Wales under my current visa, and cannot be out of the country for a long period of time. We have lived together for 5 months during the 1.5 years and I have been traveling back and forth from Wales to Serbia to see her.

I submitted my application without including her as the form said that you have to have been living together continuously for at least one year, which we haven't.

So, just wanted to run a few Qs:

1) Did I miss something, should I have added her?
2) Can I add her later? (the application wait time is long so before it is submitted that it's likely we could have been living together for one year)

Thank you, this forum has been immensely helpful.

mamasvoice

Star Member
Sep 14, 2020
Category........
BUSINESS
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-22-2020
I think if you get married later on you could then include her in the application as your spouse.
Agree. The best option, really, is to get married.

However, you can also add her later even if you didn't get married, as a common-law spouse.

comerunning19

Sep 12, 2019
Canada
Agree. The best option, really, is to get married.

However, you can also add her later even if you didn't get married, as a common-law spouse.
His concern is that they have not been physically living together to ensure the common-law status
anyway there will be a way to deal with this... keep all the conversation/ call records for now...

mamasvoice

Star Member
Sep 14, 2020
Category........
BUSINESS
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-22-2020
His concern is that they have not been physically living together to ensure the common-law status
anyway there will be a way to deal with this... keep all the conversation/ call records for now...
That's right. Hopefully, they will reach a point where they can live together together physically. And after 12 months, he will be able to add her as his spouse.

jaxopa

Dec 31, 2020
That's right. Hopefully, they will reach a point where they can live together together physically. And after 12 months, he will be able to add her as his spouse.
Thanks for the follow-up comments, much appreciated. Ye, depending on how fast/slow my application moves, I believe that I will be a position to add her within the next 12 months, as we'll meet the common in-law criteria. Also, I have loads of proof like both our names on an annual rental contract, which I hope will also come in handy.

Btw, when I do add her, do you know if the application timeline will be reset?

mamasvoice

Star Member
Sep 14, 2020
Category........
BUSINESS
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-22-2020
Thanks for the follow-up comments, much appreciated. Ye, depending on how fast/slow my application moves, I believe that I will be a position to add her within the next 12 months, as we'll meet the common in-law criteria. Also, I have loads of proof like both our names on an annual rental contract, which I hope will also come in handy.

Btw, when I do add her, do you know if the application timeline will be reset?
Hmmm. Not sure about this, but I think it won't. Your application process only begins when you receive your AOR and any changes to be added from your end will not affect your timeline.

Can anybody confirm this?