+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self-Employed Application 2020

ParuMani

Star Member
Feb 23, 2020
There’s absolutely nothing convenient about this process, haha! Driving hours in opposite directions, once for language tests, once for FBI fingerprints, once for biometrics, and once for medical exams. All at a high price. But it will be worth it
2 hours is 120 to 140 miles... I have driven from Columbus ohio to Atlanta in 12 hours which is 1200 miles to takeup a new contract job.. So you have to take it and carry on with life.. once you get the visa you will forget the pain of the hardships

hoverboard

May 4, 2020
Long-time lurker on these forums, but I finally sent off my application today.

It's been delayed since April this year, as the courier services stopped running and my police clearance certificate was delayed as well. I didn't use a lawyer, but tried to be as thorough as possible.

And now we wait, wish me luck :)

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
What is the difference between “Business income” and “Employment income”? I think that’s on the form 6A.
Business income is income you earn from your profession, while employment income is wages or salaries you get from an employer. How many years experience do you have? Document up to 5 years.

tanyaviola

Sep 28, 2020
Business income is income you earn from your profession, while employment income is wages or salaries you get from an employer. How many years experience do you have? Document up to 5 years.
We are self-employed. So.....that's our profession. I see, so that would be our yearly salary we make from our self-employed business (Business income). So working as an adjunct teacher somewhere in the past 5 years, that would go under Employment income. Got it. Thank you!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
We are self-employed. So.....that's our profession. I see, so that would be our yearly salary we make from our self-employed business (Business income). So working as an adjunct teacher somewhere in the past 5 years, that would go under Employment income. Got it. Thank you!
[/QUOTE

What do you mean by “we.” Who is the principal applicant? You document the main applicant’s business and employer income not the spouse unless there are specific sections for spousal income (Schedule 6a?). In the selection criteria, under adaptability all that is asked is about the spouse’s education. Their work experience & skills are not given points. Net worth is looked at jointly to show you have the funds to settle, support your spouse & be self employed in Canada.

tanyaviola

Sep 28, 2020
My husband is the main applicant but we will include both of our incomes (we will separate them also so they can see specifically what we each make). They ask for assets and funds from BOTH so I also assume they'll want to know what our income would be together since we'll be living together obviously and therefore paying for bills together. The forms DO ask for work experience (occupation history) and education for both of us so obviously it means something to them (Background Declaration form). In our cover letter we will explain how our self-employment works for us so they'll better understand as they are likely not familiar with our line of work. In form 6A, we will list his income (and mine, but in separate lines so it's clear).

ParuMani

Star Member
Feb 23, 2020
My husband is the main applicant but we will include both of our incomes (we will separate them also so they can see specifically what we each make). They ask for assets and funds from BOTH so I also assume they'll want to know what our income would be together since we'll be living together obviously and therefore paying for bills together. The forms DO ask for work experience (occupation history) and education for both of us so obviously it means something to them (Background Declaration form). In our cover letter we will explain how our self-employment works for us so they'll better understand as they are likely not familiar with our line of work. In form 6A, we will list his income (and mine, but in separate lines so it's clear).
Assets .. yes both of you,,, but income from your business is the only detail that they want.. how much do you get out of your business.. They don't care if this income is sufficient for you to live a normal life.. they are interested only in your self employment business and its details

tanyaviola

Sep 28, 2020
Assets .. yes both of you,,, but income from your business is the only detail that they want.. how much do you get out of your business.. They don't care if this income is sufficient for you to live a normal life.. they are interested only in your self employment business and its details
Yes. We are in the same business so they’ll be getting the full income from it.

UserNameChris

Sep 21, 2020
Could you guys please post your timelines. Has anybody received their AOR's I've been waiting since march 10th and nothing. Is anybody here in the same situation with AR from March/February. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: MinhAnh

sweelinck

Star Member
Aug 2, 2020
Poland
Category........
BUSINESS
Dear all,
I just sent my application, for the Self-employed program!
UPS is just processing the parcel, it should be in Sydney by tomorrow.
Very excited. I'll keep you posted about future updates.
Stay in touch.

ParuMani

Star Member
Feb 23, 2020
Could you guys please post your timelines. Has anybody received their AOR's I've been waiting since march 10th and nothing. Is anybody here in the same situation with AR from March/February. Thanks in advance.
Self Employed Application..
Application Received in Sydney NS on 14th Feb 2020
Application Number/UCI received on 19th

typeaimages

Star Member
Apr 1, 2020
I decided to sign up for the IELTS despite likely having enough points for the Self Employed Stream. Figured it couldn't hurt.

Anyone here take the IELTS and how did you find it difficulty-wise being a native English speaker? I'm going to study as much as I can, but are there any good sources out there for practice tests, etc?

sweelinck

Star Member
Aug 2, 2020
Poland
Category........
BUSINESS
I decided to sign up for the IELTS despite likely having enough points for the Self Employed Stream. Figured it couldn't hurt.

Anyone here take the IELTS and how did you find it difficulty-wise being a native English speaker? I'm going to study as much as I can, but are there any good sources out there for practice tests, etc?
I did the test, it can be tricky, but there are several practicing tools online. I got a good score, even if the interview was not so pleasant, since the interviewer was wearing a mask because of COVID-19!
Good luck