+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self-Employed Application 2020

typeaimages

Star Member
Apr 1, 2020
I'll start!

I have JUST started my process. I have been a self-employed wedding, commercial, and event photographer in the States for 12 years. We put out retainer down with an immigration lawyer (w/ Campbell & Cohen) last week and sent her a bunch of preliminary information so she could tell us if we are good candidates or not.

At this point, I am the primary applicant. My points are roughly 93. I'm hoping we are given the green light to apply for real very soon. I know I'm gonna have to summon my patience with the process, especially with the virus situation.

Anyone else here initially applied in 2020 or planning to?

fasoola7321

Star Member
Oct 24, 2018
I submitted for self employed (author) on Feb 2020, and completed biometrics on March 13 2020. Just waiting now. Timeline end is estimated to be Nov 2021. Question, I also submitted my medical which expires Oct 2020...should I send an webform inquiry letting them know to note this so I hopefully won't have to repeat medical due to costs?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I submitted for self employed (author) on Feb 2020, and completed biometrics on March 13 2020. Just waiting now. Timeline end is estimated to be Nov 2021. Question, I also submitted my medical which expires Oct 2020...should I send an webform inquiry letting them know to note this so I hopefully won't have to repeat medical due to costs?
1. Medical is only valid for 1 year, so you will probably have to do a new medical.

comerunning19

Sep 12, 2019
Canada
I would like to share with you the admitted number under Economic - Federal Business class in 2018, and the target admittance in 2020-22 as announced by IRCC for your information.

The quota for Business class is the least among all immigration categories, so if you haven't yet submitted your application, you may wish to reconsider or discuss the possibility of applying through another stream with your consultant/ lawyer... but if you have, best of luck. :)

Table 3: Permanent Residents Admitted in 2018 by Destination and Immigration Category
Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/annual-report-parliament-immigration-2019.html#s11

Immigration Category: EconomicNLPENSNBQCONMBSKABBCYTNTNUNot StatedTotal
Federal economic – BusinessFootnote3622361503101484932550757
Footnote 36: Includes admissions in the Self-Employed Persons Program, Start-up Visa Program and Immigrant Investor Venture Capital Program.

Summary of adjustments to levels targets in 2020 and 2021
Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/supplementary-immigration-levels-2020.html

Immigrant Category
EconomicTargetLow RangeHigh RangeTargetLow RangeHigh RangeTargetLow RangeHigh Range
Federal BusinessFootnote27505001,4007505001,5007505001,500
Footnote 2: Includes the Start-up Visa Program and the Self-employed Program.

typeaimages

Star Member
Apr 1, 2020
I would like to share with you the admitted number under Economic - Federal Business class in 2018, and the target admittance in 2020-22 as announced by IRCC for your information.

The quota for Business class is the least among all immigration categories, so if you haven't yet submitted your application, you may wish to reconsider or discuss the possibility of applying through another stream with your consultant/ lawyer... but if you have, best of luck. :)

Table 3: Permanent Residents Admitted in 2018 by Destination and Immigration Category
Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/annual-report-parliament-immigration-2019.html#s11

Immigration Category: EconomicNLPENSNBQCONMBSKABBCYTNTNUNot StatedTotal
Federal economic – BusinessFootnote3622361503101484932550757
Footnote 36: Includes admissions in the Self-Employed Persons Program, Start-up Visa Program and Immigrant Investor Venture Capital Program.

Summary of adjustments to levels targets in 2020 and 2021
Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/supplementary-immigration-levels-2020.html

Immigrant Category
EconomicTargetLow RangeHigh RangeTargetLow RangeHigh RangeTargetLow RangeHigh Range
Federal BusinessFootnote27505001,4007505001,5007505001,500
Footnote 2: Includes the Start-up Visa Program and the Self-employed Program.
Dang....that's....discouraging :(

typeaimages

Star Member
Apr 1, 2020
So can someone please explain to me (like I'm 5) the difference between the federal self-employed stream and going after the PNP nomination from, say, PEI under the business/immigration stream? They seem to invite quite a few more people monthly through the PNP nomination stream for business owners/operators.

Why would that not be a better choice for someone to pursue?

ParuMani

Star Member
Feb 23, 2020
You did your medicals already. Was it upfront ..? don't you need a letter from IRCC to do your medicals

ParuMani

Star Member
Feb 23, 2020
Self Employed Application..
Application Received in Sydney NS on 14th Feb 2020
Application Number/UCI received on 19th
Additional document request received on 19th
Additional documents received by IRCC on 25th March 2020.

Mayakassem

Star Member
Oct 10, 2018
Category........
BUSINESS
So can someone please explain to me (like I'm 5) the difference between the federal self-employed stream and going after the PNP nomination from, say, PEI under the business/immigration stream? They seem to invite quite a few more people monthly through the PNP nomination stream for business owners/operators.

Why would that not be a better choice for someone to pursue?
In comparison to other streams of business immigration where applicants are required to invest a sum of their own funds, eligible applicants are instead only asked to proof the expeeience within their industry as well as evidence supporting their claims to being successfully self employed.
Application received in SYDNEY 25th March 2020 and still waiting AOR.

Reactions: Moshe Strugano

typeaimages

Star Member
Apr 1, 2020
In comparison to other streams of business immigration where applicants are required to invest a sum of their own funds, eligible applicants are instead only asked to proof the expeeience within their industry as well as evidence supporting their claims to being successfully self employed.
Application received in SYDNEY 25th March 2020 and still waiting AOR.
THANK YOU! This is very helpful.

typeaimages

Star Member
Apr 1, 2020
How did you choose which province you wanted to target if you did their stream? I was very interested in PEI but I'm thinking the size and lack of job opportunities for my husband may be a deterrent. Do you have to make that decision before you apply, or with this stream does it not matter?

Mayakassem

Star Member
Oct 10, 2018
Category........
BUSINESS
I did my researches and check the pros and cons for thre provinces in my mind taking into consideration many factors such as business success, weather , schools and universities.....
And after I accomolished a business plan mentioning where I want to launch my business in specific.
But as I know that even if you apply for a certain province as soon as you take your PR you can settle in the province that you like.
Best of luck dear:)

Reactions: typeaimages

guruvin.singh

Apr 17, 2020
Hi, I am currently in Canada and have management experience of over 13 years. I was working as GM in my last job in Dubai on profit sharing basis. Running the business as working partner on profit sharing basis. Prior to that i have owned business in India with 100% ownership. Please guide me to proceed further for Business immigration process. I am interested in investing/owing new/existing business in Canada.