+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self-Employed Application 2020

tanyaviola

Sep 28, 2020
I’m now worried — I got my temporary number in January 2021, but have had absolutely no word since. And people here receiving permanent numbers….. is anyone still waiting for a permanent number?
Still waiting for a permanent number.I’ve only seen 1 or 2 ppl on this forum get their permanent number. Would love to see who has gotten a permanent number (and/or anything else following that) who applied in 2020.

We are considering applying elsewhere as it sounds like it could still be another couple of years, which is terrible. Honestly, Canada should not be accepting new applications when they are so backlogged!

Reactions: dsgn

canadawill

Star Member
Jun 5, 2021
Still waiting for a permanent number.I’ve only seen 1 or 2 ppl on this forum get their permanent number. Would love to see who has gotten a permanent number (and/or anything else following that) who applied in 2020.

We are considering applying elsewhere as it sounds like it could still be another couple of years, which is terrible. Honestly, Canada should not be accepting new applications when they are so backlogged!
ok. Good to know I’m not alone. To be honest it seems a con (I know it’s not) to take so much money then go quiet with some arbitrary date.

maybe there’s another pathway. But I can’t get points via work visa because I’d have to give up my business to get a job.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
ok. Good to know I’m not alone. To be honest it seems a con (I know it’s not) to take so much money then go quiet with some arbitrary date.

maybe there’s another pathway. But I can’t get points via work visa because I’d have to give up my business to get a job.
Why can’t you apply for EE if eligible? You can count self employment if you own a business. No need to give up your business.

harpreetbhatti

Star Member
Oct 27, 2017
In my opinion you should apply canada visitor visa they definitely give you the visa because you already have permanent residency on process

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Being self employed in Canada doesn't count towards points for work experience in Canada, apparently.
Not sure where you read that unless you are self employed AND living in Canada. Because self employment doesn’t count for CEC, but for FSW and PNPs it does. See document requirements for EE-FSW, it shows how to submit proof of NOC for self employed workers. Many people on this forum are self employed and contract workers.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html
  • if the applicant is self-employed, articles of incorporation or other evidence of business ownership, evidence of self-employment income and documentation from third-party individuals indicating the service provided along with payment details (self-declared main duties or affidavits are not acceptable proof of self-employed work experience).

canadawill

Star Member
Jun 5, 2021
Not sure where you read that unless you are self employed AND living in Canada. Because self employment doesn’t count for CEC, but for FSW and PNPs it does. See document requirements for EE-FSW, it shows how to submit proof of NOC for self employed workers. Many people on this forum are self employed and contract workers.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html
  • if the applicant is self-employed, articles of incorporation or other evidence of business ownership, evidence of self-employment income and documentation from third-party individuals indicating the service provided along with payment details (self-declared main duties or affidavits are not acceptable proof of self-employed work experience).
You get points towards experience. But I believe you don't get the extra points for Canadian work experience. That's what I was told at least by an immigration consultant in Canada?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You get points towards experience. But I believe you don't get the extra points for Canadian work experience. That's what I was told at least by an immigration consultant in Canada?
Correct, as said above. You get points for foreign experience but not towards Canadian experience - CEC. How many years of Canadian experience do you have and when? What NOC? Canadian experience only counts within the last 3 years.

canadawill

Star Member
Jun 5, 2021
Correct, as said above. You get points for foreign experience but not towards Canadian experience - CEC. How many years of Canadian experience do you have and when? What NOC? Canadian experience only counts within the last 3 years.
I have 0 points for CEC which is my point -- I am self employed. I can't ditch my company to get a job in Canada on the work visa. So I can't get the CEC point bonus. Without it, I'm about 430 points so not really enough.

tanyaviola

Sep 28, 2020
I have 0 points for CEC which is my point -- I am self employed. I can't ditch my company to get a job in Canada on the work visa. So I can't get the CEC point bonus. Without it, I'm about 430 points so not really enough.
Same. We only get to about 470 or so points because we have zero experience or education IN Canada.And, of course, no job offer….so that’s more points lost. Also, we didn’t get our degrees “qualified” so we’d have to pay for those and also wait to get them. EE is also not currently drawing from FSW so we would never get an ITA. Plus, pretty sure private music teachers are not in any shortage lists so we are unlikely to get a Provincial nomination.

We are considering Portugal. Not sure why Canada can’t get its act together.

canadawill

Star Member
Jun 5, 2021
Same. We only get to about 470 or so points because we have zero experience or education IN Canada.And, of course, no job offer….so that’s more points lost. Also, we didn’t get our degrees “qualified” so we’d have to pay for those and also wait to get them. EE is also not currently drawing from FSW so we would never get an ITA. Plus, pretty sure private music teachers are not in any shortage lists so we are unlikely to get a Provincial nomination.

470 points should be more than enough to get an invite, surely? I don't think you need a job offer for express entry (residency).

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

470 is not a bad score and would have gotten an ITA last year before draws were paused. Depending on age and country, you could be eligible for an IEC working holiday visa. You come to Canada on an open work permit. However, you would still need ECA for degrees.

tanyaviola

Sep 28, 2020
470 points should be more than enough to get an invite, surely? I don't think you need a job offer for express entry (residency).
Maybe it was 370. Can’t remember now. Whatever it was, it was well below what every said I’d need as a minimum. You don’t need a job offer but it gives you more points.