+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self-Employed Application 2020

canadawill

Star Member
Jun 5, 2021
Has anyone managed to successfully update an in progress application? My career has come on a long way since I applied in 2020 and I'd like them to have the up to date information.

Ansionuk

Feb 11, 2022
Has anyone managed to successfully update an in progress application? My career has come on a long way since I applied in 2020 and I'd like them to have the up to date information.
Just send them a webform with the documents attached, that is if you have received your AOR and have your file number at hand.
Otherwise, wait for the AOR first. To be honest, you don't need to contact them unless you are reporting changes of your address, phone number, email, marital status, birth or death of someone. IRCC will request you to submit updated background info form, police certificate, and other files they need to finalize your application, and you will get a notice in your online account and an email.

canadawill

Star Member
Jun 5, 2021
Just send them a webform with the documents attached, that is if you have received your AOR and have your file number at hand.
Otherwise, wait for the AOR first. To be honest, you don't need to contact them unless you are reporting changes of your address, phone number, email, marital status, birth or death of someone. IRCC will request you to submit updated background info form, police certificate, and other files they need to finalize your application, and you will get a notice in your online account and an email.
Thanks. I worry I didn't submit enough evidence to be of 'cultural value' in my application in 2020, hence wishing to update it. I hope I can update before they make a decision as I am concerned I will be rejected.

Ansionuk

Feb 11, 2022
Thanks. I worry I didn't submit enough evidence to be of 'cultural value' in my application in 2020, hence wishing to update it. I hope I can update before they make a decision as I am concerned I will be rejected.
Don't worry too much. As long as you pass the experience test, all further rejections need to go through some process and they need to as least give you 1-2 chances to provide additional documents to clear their doubt. for the significant contribution part, I believe before any rejections IRCC is required to sent you a procedural fairness letter or ask you for an interview, which would be the last chance for you, to prove you meet the requirement.

However, if you are really worried, sent them whatever you want once you get your AOR and immediately after submitting biometrics. you will have plenty of time and chances to do this.

BY THE WAY, which month did you send your application and have you got your AOR yet?

canadawill

Star Member
Jun 5, 2021
Don't worry too much. As long as you pass the experience test, all further rejections need to go through some process and they need to as least give you 1-2 chances to provide additional documents to clear their doubt. for the significant contribution part, I believe before any rejections IRCC is required to sent you a procedural fairness letter or ask you for an interview, which would be the last chance for you, to prove you meet the requirement.

However, if you are really worried, sent them whatever you want once you get your AOR and immediately after submitting biometrics. you will have plenty of time and chances to do this.

BY THE WAY, which month did you send your application and have you got your AOR yet?
That's really interesting insight, thank you -- where did you get this information from?

I applied in November 2020. Received the temp number Jan 2021. Nothing since (although they've confirmed via webform I'm still in the queue and it isn't lost).

What's your timeline?

Ansionuk

Feb 11, 2022
That's really interesting insight, thank you -- where did you get this information from?

I applied in November 2020. Received the temp number Jan 2021. Nothing since (although they've confirmed via webform I'm still in the queue and it isn't lost).

What's your timeline?

All the protocols and instructions that IRCC officers have to follow are all posted on their website. Just not easy to find, but they are there.
I am way behind you. July 2022.
I believe you will get your AOR very soon, some September 2020 applicants have received their AOR last month. and June 2020 applicant are on the ADR phase, I even heard one got ppr last week.

Reactions: Goodlucker

canadawill

Star Member
Jun 5, 2021
All the protocols and instructions that IRCC officers have to follow are all posted on their website. Just not easy to find, but they are there.
I am way behind you. July 2022.
I believe you will get your AOR very soon, some September 2020 applicants have received their AOR last month. and June 2020 applicant are on the ADR phase, I even heard one got ppr last week.
What is ADR?

Your message is encouraging, thank you -- you seem to have read a lot. I thought I had read all info available -- any chance you can remember and point me to a link where you read this detail about the process please?

Ansionuk

Feb 11, 2022
What is ADR?

Your message is encouraging, thank you -- you seem to have read a lot. I thought I had read all info available -- any chance you can remember and point me to a link where you read this detail about the process please?
Supposed to be Additional Document Request.

Self employed person class operational instruction:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/self-employed-persons.html

General Service Delivery Standard
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery.html

Hope this helps

canadawill

Star Member
Jun 5, 2021
This is extremely encouraging - I can't see anything in that list which will stop my application being approved so thank you - it's nice to have some positive reading.

vj171081

Star Member
Mar 15, 2020
Got my permanent number last week and linked it yesterday. My biometrics is already pulled from old submissions of visit. I see application is complete 97% and only 20 days remaining for processing time. What does that mean?

Reactions: canadawill

Ansionuk

Feb 11, 2022
Got my permanent number last week and linked it yesterday. My biometrics is already pulled from old submissions of visit. I see application is complete 97% and only 20 days remaining for processing time. What does that mean?
Congrats!!! good news
just ignore the estimation processing time, it only means IRCC is chaotic. This number might change in the near future to reflect a more accurate estimation.

Reactions: vj171081

Ansionuk

Feb 11, 2022
Would you think their processing time is longer than 20 days then?
Yes, it definitely will be longer or maybe much longer. lets do a rough calculation:

AOR: as of last week, issued to 2020-10 applicants. they are speeding up, despite covid backlog. In order for them to reach 2023 immigration plan, which is 3500 federal business landed immigrants, they would have to finalize all the remaining backlog plus most of the prospective inventories. this is another subject of course. If you are interested, I can post my theory with detailed calculation on this matter later on.

back to the processing time:

AOR is issued by Centre Intake Office. after that, application is transferred to the local office responsible for the applicant, mainly by the primary address you provided in your application form. then the local office assigns an officer to your case and this officer checks your application and send out biometrics request first.

you have 30 days to complete biometrics,
they process 7 days and send you additional document request
you have 30 days to provide that
they process 7 days and send you Pre Arrival Letter
within 30 days you will receive medical test request
you have 30 days to complete the test
they process 7 days (they now have a huge backlog of medical exam to process)
within 30 days you will receive ppr and you send your passport for the visa and CoPR

the above is the general idea of the processing procedure on paper, not considering the complexity of the application, the backlog, the current focus of ircc, the number of staff they have, nor possible interviews, additional request, sometimes officers leave their jobs and applicants were left hanging.

So, based on my research, the time between AOR and PPR can be as short as 3 months or as long as 6 years. All we can do now apart from waiting is to respond as fast as possible to any of their requests.

Last edited:

yinlei

May 10, 2022
Congrats! finally, there is good news! when did you apply?

Reactions: tanyaviola