+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self employed and employed - applying for PR?

May 16, 2016
Hello,

I'm currently on a WHV from the UK. I have been in Canada for six months. During this time I have been employed in the UK and work remotely part time. I am on payroll on the UK and taxed there in line with UK tax law. I do not declare tax on these earnings in Canada.

Outside of this, I work freelance. I earn under $30,000 and am in the process of registering as self-employed.

What is the best way for me the apply for a PR next year? Should I leave the UK company and rejoin as a contractor, invoice them monthly and ask for it to be paid into my Canadian account?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm not sure I understand why you think you need to switch your arrangement with the company in the UK. If you're looking to get Canadian work experience to qualify for Canadian Experience Class, then the work needs to be with a Canadian employer. Even if you change how you are compensated, your work with the UK company will still count as work experience from outside of Canada. As for self employed, only a very limited number of occupations qualify under this immigration category. Most likely you don't qualify.

FYI - When filing taxes in Canada, you have to file on worldwide income earned.

Happy007

May 20, 2016
talkinginmaths said:
Hello,

I'm currently on a WHV from the UK. I have been in Canada for six months. During this time I have been employed in the UK and work remotely part time. I am on payroll on the UK and taxed there in line with UK tax law. I do not declare tax on these earnings in Canada.

Outside of this, I work freelance. I earn under $30,000 and am in the process of registering as self-employed.

What is the best way for me the apply for a PR next year? Should I leave the UK company and rejoin as a contractor, invoice them monthly and ask for it to be paid into my Canadian account?
Which category you want to apply?