Selecting an Occupation for EE

jamesls1

Star Member
Apr 21, 2016
Calgary
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys,

I am filling out my Express Entry profile and am not sure what to enter under the Occupation category.

I have a UK law degree and UK legal practice diploma (assessed by WES as a Bachelor's Degree (four years) and a postgraduate diploma in legal practice).

I have 1.5 years' experience as a Paralegal in the UK and 2.5 years as a Recruitment Consultant.

If I select NOC 1223 (HR and Recruitment Officers) it tells me that a degree in personnel management or equivalent is needed. If I select NOC 4211 (paralegal and related occupations) then a Bachelor of Laws or a law college diploma with experience is the requirement.

I don't want to select HR / Recruitment in case they assess that I don't hold the pre-requisities. Therefore am I best off selecting Paralegal as this is more in line with my education? I'm hoping to get into the legal profession in Canada eventually but I will work as a recruiter or anything else in the meantime if I need to while I apply to law firms.

I spoke to an immigration lawyer in Toronto who told me my total experience as relevant for EE is 3 years+ however this would be merging both recruitment and paralegal experience together. I'm reluctant to pay over $5000 for his services as I don't have that kind of money, but I don't want to make a mistake on my application and have it rejected.

Any help with this will be really appreciated.

Thanks! James

munjal

May 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jamesls1 said:
Hi guys,

I am filling out my Express Entry profile and am not sure what to enter under the Occupation category.

I have a UK law degree and UK legal practice diploma (assessed by WES as a Bachelor's Degree (four years) and a postgraduate diploma in legal practice).

I have 1.5 years' experience as a Paralegal in the UK and 2.5 years as a Recruitment Consultant.

If I select NOC 1223 (HR and Recruitment Officers) it tells me that a degree in personnel management or equivalent is needed. If I select NOC 4211 (paralegal and related occupations) then a Bachelor of Laws or a law college diploma with experience is the requirement.

I don't want to select HR / Recruitment in case they assess that I don't hold the pre-requisities. Therefore am I best off selecting Paralegal as this is more in line with my education? I'm hoping to get into the legal profession in Canada eventually but I will work as a recruiter or anything else in the meantime if I need to while I apply to law firms.

I spoke to an immigration lawyer in Toronto who told me my total experience as relevant for EE is 3 years+ however this would be merging both recruitment and paralegal experience together. I'm reluctant to pay over $5000 for his services as I don't have that kind of money, but I don't want to make a mistake on my application and have it rejected.

Thanks! James
Hi James,
I would advise you to check HRSDC website throughly and find the probable NOCs that matches with most of your job duties..
Here is the link: http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2011/SearchIndex.aspx

Further I will suggest you to prepare a list of your actual job duties for both of your jobs which you mentioned above and send an email to NC-NOC-CNP-GD@hrsdc-rhdcc.gc.ca asking them to help you find the NOC matching with your job duties.

This is official email address of NOC unit of IRCC that will confirm the exact NOC occupation matching with the job duties which you have shared with them.

Hope this info will be helpful to you.
Good luck!

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
jamesls1 said:
Hi guys,

Thanks! James
While selecting the NOC, the duties and responsibilities mentioned in the NOC should be a close match with the actual duties and responsibilities carried out by you at the respective job. You need not match the duties and responsibilities word by word, but the idea is to have the closest match in terms of the spirit of the duties and responsibilities (at least 60%-70% match).

Also, NOC should be selected on the basis of the match of actual duties and responsibilities carried out by you rather than the designation match in the NOC list. If you are not sure of your NOC, write to noc@workingincanada.gc.ca with your job title, duties and responsibilities and educational qualification, they will help you find the closest fit.

ahmedmeissa

Jul 25, 2016
Hi,

I got my credentials assessed and it is equivalent to bachelor and postgraduate diploma as well, I assumed that I will be entitled to receive score for "two or more degrees" but I didnt find this option while building my profile.
Would you please advise what did you do with your aplication.

Thanks
quote author=jamesls1 link=topic=450537.msg5435060#msg5435060 date=1473211855]
Hi guys,

Thanks! James
[/quote]

jtin

Nov 28, 2016
Stanlee said:
While selecting the NOC, the duties and responsibilities mentioned in the NOC should be a close match with the actual duties and responsibilities carried out by you at the respective job. You need not match the duties and responsibilities word by word, but the idea is to have the closest match in terms of the spirit of the duties and responsibilities (at least 60%-70% match).

Also, NOC should be selected on the basis of the match of actual duties and responsibilities carried out by you rather than the designation match in the NOC list. If you are not sure of your NOC, write to noc@workingincanada.gc.ca with your job title, duties and responsibilities and educational qualification, they will help you find the closest fit.
Hi Stan,

I have sent them my responsibilities and all the details they wanted but haven't heard from them yet and it has been more than 2 weeks now. My question is after I match the responsibilities with the NOC code do I check the employment requirements too? this is because my responsibilities are as follows:

- To meet clients and ensure requirements and performance needs of the project are met within schedule and budget.
- Review project budget based on original cost estimate sheets and ensure project procurement phase is completed
- Allocate resources to meet project schedule milestones and deadlines
- To identify, develop and maintain company's engineering service capability for projects.
- Ensure engineering specifications are made and submitted for customer review according to schedule
- Review and ensure engineering drawings are 100% accurate for on-site installation
- Review the proposals for engineering and technical requirements
- Review and submit documentation including QA Manuals to the scheduled timeline
- Demonstrate ownership of Engineering and Project Management Functions in all activities
- Review and advise ISO Procedures and process changes as necessary

Now this matches closely with NOC 0213 and I've heard since it is a '0' category and it is for departmental managers it is not suited for a Project Manager(my role). So I am seriously looking for options for the past 2 weeks. Please can anyone help me?????

Thanks.

jamesls1

Star Member
Apr 21, 2016
Calgary
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone (again!)

Further to my above post, I submitted the EE profile with the Paralegal NOC 4211 code as my "occupation". However I only have 1.5 years in this profession.

Recruitment is also in the same class (B) and for this I have 2.5 years' experience.

Combining my experience I have over 3 years' experience and this gets me full experience points.

I'm concerned that if I get an ITA on the basis of this information there may be an issue that I selected the lesser experienced job as my main NOC. Will this matter?

Can anyone help as I have 463 points and feel like I might get an invite this Weds... (hopefully) but before I do get an ITA I want to make sure everything will go through correctly and not get rejected!

Thanks!

jamesls1

Star Member
Apr 21, 2016
Calgary
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anyone?

Should i select my main NOC as a Paralegal or Recruiter? Don't want to make a mistake that costs me after an ITA

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Even if you get an ITA tomorrow you can change the NOC code as long as the skilled work experience remains 0/A/B

I don't like giving advice on which NOC code one should pick as you should know better than most people here what your duties and responsabilities are.

Good luck ;)

jamesls1

Star Member
Apr 21, 2016
Calgary
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Del, appreciate it!

I know, it's a tough decision as I more or less have an equal split between the 2 professions. It's not uncommon for someone trying to get into law to do a bit of legal recruitment too etc. However I am determined that i want to pursue law in Canada and convert my UK law degree so in my opinion it is more of a defensible position for me to state paralegal as that's largely what I'll be applying for. I would take a recruitment job in the meantime in order to pay rent and bills however.

So that's the tricky part as both apply to me and I want to ensure I pick the one that's got the most chance, if there is such a thing.

Thanks a lot!