+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeking help with Visitor Record - Urgent

inder13

Dec 17, 2018
Hi Friends, I need help. My mother in law was in Canada on a visitor visa. When her visa was about to expire, we applied for a visitor record for her. Before the result of her visitor record could come, she went back to India. So, she was on an implied status during this period. When she went back to India, I was under the impression that we have to request for withdrawal of her visitor record application so I raised a web form for it via new portal. I got a response from IRCC that if it happens, she will lose status for the period of visitor visa expiry and visitor record application so I raised another web form to share that I don’t wish to withdraw application but rather I only wished to inform IRCC about her departure to India. I am yet to get a response for this but yesterday, I got an update on my mother in law’s visitor record application on gckey portal that it is withdrawn. What can I do in this situation. Please guide. I shall be grateful to you for this.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Friends, I need help. My mother in law was in Canada on a visitor visa. When her visa was about to expire, we applied for a visitor record for her. Before the result of her visitor record could come, she went back to India. So, she was on an implied status during this period. When she went back to India, I was under the impression that we have to request for withdrawal of her visitor record application so I raised a web form for it via new portal. I got a response from IRCC that if it happens, she will lose status for the period of visitor visa expiry and visitor record application so I raised another web form to share that I don’t wish to withdraw application but rather I only wished to inform IRCC about her departure to India. I am yet to get a response for this but yesterday, I got an update on my mother in law’s visitor record application on gckey portal that it is withdrawn. What can I do in this situation. Please guide. I shall be grateful to you for this.
What is the issue since a visitor are for people who are staying in Canada and want to maintain visitor status? She left so it would be withdrawn.

inder13

Dec 17, 2018
What is the issue since a visitor are for people who are staying in Canada and want to maintain visitor status? She left so it would be withdrawn.
Thank you for reviewing my query.
I am under the impression that if one leaves for home country while visitor record application is in progress, they should inform IRCC about this and not request withdrawal of application.
Withdrawal of application means IRCC did not take a decision on the application so the visitor record application will be as if no application was made so the implied status goes away from the period one's visitor visa expired until visitor record application's decision.
So, this is where I have the confusion and what I should do.

inder13

Dec 17, 2018
Update - I was able to get to IRCC agent on phone. She said that the withdrawal has been processed and recommended me to explain the situation in the subsequent applications or in subsequent visits as once withdrawal is processed, there is no way it can be overturned. Just sharing here so that someone else doesn't do this mistake. For me, it was an unknown mistake but it has long consequences like we have to explain each time she comes to Canada or applies for a super visa (example) or any other type of visa in the future.
Regards
Inder

inder13

Dec 17, 2018
@Naturgrl I would be thankful for your insights on this situation. Can I do anything for this now or have to explain this to visa officer each time or say next time she visits us. It was a totally unfortunate and unintentional mistake on my part.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
@Naturgrl I would be thankful for your insights on this situation. Can I do anything for this now or have to explain this to visa officer each time or say next time she visits us. It was a totally unfortunate and unintentional mistake on my part.
She is no longer in Canada and the file is withdrawn so nothing you can do. If she still has a TRV, then when she enters be truthful if asked by CBSA about past visits.