+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeking for Clarification from IMM 5406

HQC

May 8, 2016
Greetings,

I could not find an answer to this question even though I am quite confident the similar questions must have been ask & answer previously.
I would like to seek help/input from anyone who has completed this form. My question is as followed:
what is the accurate definition of 'Family Members'?

The 2021 online version of the IMM 5406 specified that the IRCC need information about the principal applicant (PA) family:
- Parents;
- Children;
- Spouse
- Siblings.

and the PA must fill out the form for themselves and on behalf of PA's 18 and 18+ years age family members who are non-Canadian PRs or Citizens.
ON the IRCC glossary website, the definition of ’Family Members' is defined as this, An applicant’s closest relatives, in the context of an application to IRCC. It is defined as a spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children. So would it be correct if I suggest there is an inconsistency about the definition of family members, which is, on one hand, includes parents & siblings, and on the other hand does not.

This bothers me because a PA would have to fill out individual forms for PA's parents & siblings if a PA follows the online IMM 5406 form, or those forms are not required if a PA follows the IRCC definition of the 'Family Members'.....

I hope I have explained myself semi-clearly with my best efforts, lol.
Any suggestion is welcomed and appreciated!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Follow instruction of IMM 5406.
They want more information about family memebers (more than just your immediate family)

HQC

May 8, 2016
Follow instruction of IMM 5406.
They want more information about family memebers (more than just your immediate family)
Thank you for your response. I have no concerns about how to fill the form IMM 5406, which is a form about the info of the PA, PA's spouse/common-law, children, and siblings. However, what I am uncertain is whether a PA's parents, siblings should fill out an IMM5406 form individually as they are not defined as the 'Family Members' by the IRCC. By the same token, a PA's spouse/common-law & children should fill their version of the IMM 5406 individually.

Could you please shed some light on this question?
Thank you!

P.S.: the Instruction of the IMM 5406 which is listed in the 5772 does not answer this question.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for your response. I have no concerns about how to fill the form IMM 5406, which is a form about the info of the PA, PA's spouse/common-law, children, and siblings. However, what I am uncertain is whether a PA's parents, siblings should fill out an IMM5406 form individually as they are not defined as the 'Family Members' by the IRCC. By the same token, a PA's spouse/common-law & children should fill their version of the IMM 5406 individually.

Could you please shed some light on this question?
Thank you!

P.S.: the Instruction of the IMM 5406 which is listed in the 5772 does not answer this question.
-The principal applicant fills it out. The sponsor does not fill it out. (The spouse would if a non-spousal sponsorship, it's also used for those).
-Dependents of the principal applicant and/or sponsor who are over 18 and are not already PRs or citizens also fill it out. Minors do not fill it out.
-If it's a spousal application: parents, brothers, sisters, cousins, crazy uncles, etc., do not fill it out. It is only the immediate family of the sponsor and principal applicant (in the sense of 'nuclear family').

It's an additional family information form. It is about additional family, not filled out by them.

Reactions: YVR123

Zion12

Feb 3, 2020
hi to all, i have a question about my application to sponsor my mom which is i got my ITA to sponsor her, when i apply my pr wayback 2017, i have a mistake that i did not put my aunt who is canadian citizen in my application to question 'do you have any relative living inside canada", now i applied my mom and i need to put aunt on additional family information to my moms application as my moms siblings.. is there any person here who experience this? can you answer please.. thank you