+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeking Asylum with Having UK Residency

George21

Nov 18, 2017
If I seek asylum in Canada, will I be sent back to the U.K. just because I have a permit residency in the UK until January?
Information background: The student permit residency is going to be expired end of January and consent to request to remain in the UK after January has been already rejected. I am not from the UK.

jman25

Jul 27, 2017
If I seek asylum in Canada, will I be sent back to the U.K. just because I have a permit residency in the UK until January?
Information background: The student permit residency is going to be expired end of January and consent to request to remain in the UK after January has been already rejected. I am not from the UK.
On what grounds are you planning to seek Asylum here in Canada? What country are you originally from?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will have to explain why you didn't claim asylum in UK. If you have been living in the UK for a while you will also have to show why all of a sudden you need protection.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I understand that your request for an extension of your study permit has been denied but why didn't you apply for asylum when you arrived in the UK or while you were a student? The next problem will be obtaining a TRV to enter Canada in order to claim asylum. If you can not show strong ties to your home country and Canada is not convinced that you are a visitor you will not be granted a visa.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you are already in Canada and you intend to apply for asylum you should apply as soon as possible. You were very lucky to have had a visa already although I am guessing it was probably a US visa.

George21

Nov 18, 2017
Thank you for everyone who took the time to answer my questions. Results have been positive so far.

Jagon

Nov 25, 2017
Do they at borders sent people back who have temporary residency in Europe or UK even if they are eligible for the third country agreement?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You will probably find that having residency in what is considered a safe country makes you ineligible for refugee status (convention refugee), regardless of the Safe Third Country agreement. Safe third country is for those who don’t already have asylum. It’s not for people looking to change from one safe country to another. They may not send you home from the airport, but they will likely send you home shortly afterwards once your residency is confirmed.