+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeking asylum in Canada

Imari07

Jul 11, 2018
I would like to seek asylum in Canada at Toronto airport when I arrived. Its going to be me, my common law boyfriend and our baby. I have visit Canada a few times. Unfortunately I am afraid that they won't take us serious because my boyfriend and I have both been deported from the US. We've both was brought to the U.S.A as kids........I was deported for over stay and he was deported for an offence he's committed. We both are working class law abiding citizens in our home country and make a good living financially. Recently we've been in fear for our life due to a murder I've witness and having treats of death to me and my family. So I need to know would we get turn around at the airport due to our past or will they still hear us out. Please I need to know we're having sleepless night. P.s this is his first time visiting Canada I've visited 8 times.

Imari07

Jul 11, 2018
But like I said I have visit Canada 8 times never over stayed just came to shop and go on vacation and left.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
But like I said I have visit Canada 8 times never over stayed just came to shop and go on vacation and left.
That travel history will make your asylum application extremely weak. This is what you should be having sleepless nights about. You've freely come to Canada and left 8 times already. This certainly doesn't sound like someone in need of protection.

Imari07

Jul 11, 2018
That travel history will make your asylum application extremely weak. This is what you should be having sleepless nights about. You've freely come to Canada and left 8 times already. This certainly doesn't sound like someone in need of protection.
Yes I know but are you telling me that we have no chance even if a have supporting evidence. I love my country but as far as our well being here it don't look great.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
When were you deported and when did you witness the murder? Approximate dates. did you travel to Canada since witnessing the murder? You will be likely be refused if you have not gone to the police and exhausted all options in your country. Your overstaying will create some concern that you just trying to move to another country. If you have good jobs have you looked at economic immigration options.

Imari07

Jul 11, 2018
When were you deported and when did you witness the murder? Approximate dates. did you travel to Canada since witnessing the murder? You will be likely be refused if you have not gone to the police and exhausted all options in your country. Your overstaying will create some concern that you just trying to move to another country. If you have good jobs have you looked at economic immigration options.
Thanks for the other option I was deported in 2010. The murder happened in 2016 but the case is going to trial now. I've had treats made towards my family and I recently and have reported it to the police but what good is that....

Imari07

Jul 11, 2018
I was deported in 2010 and witness the murder in 2016. The case is going to trial now and I've gotten a few treats of death. Yes I went to the police but got no results. I have visit Canada once since I witness the murder but nothing was going on. I guess since its near trial all of this is happening

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
We're from the Bahamas we got our eta
Did both of you declare your US deportations + did your bf declare his criminal conviction.... in the Background Questions when you applied for eTA?

Have you and your bf lived together for at least 12 months as common-law partners?

Imari07

Jul 11, 2018
Did both of you declare your US deportations + did your bf declare his criminal conviction.... in the Background Questions when you applied for eTA?

Have you and your bf lived together for at least 12 months as common-law partners?
Yes we both declare it when we applied for the eta they just asked us for a police certificate from our country which we submitted and we was granted the eta and yes we've live together for more than 12 months

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
So do you think we have a chance.
Not too sure.

There is always some possibility of witnesses being threatened for cases of serious crimes although this is not lawful. The threats could be subtle intimidation (for example, to prevent a witness from deposing before the court).... to threats to life/physical assault, etc (maybe if the witness is a key eyewitness/the only witness to the crime).

Were you the only witness to the murder?
Have the police/court listed you as a witness in the paperwork?
Can you prove you were threatened? And are these threats to your life?
Has the police taken cognizance of your complaint?

And, as scylla and canuck78 have explained you have visited Canada many times which doesn't help. You've visited Canada once after the murder but I guess you were not threatened at that time