+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeking advice about NOC Code

jaysangha

Star Member
Jul 27, 2012
I am working in the corporate office of a bank. My title is Operations officer and I am working in the Mortgage department. When I am checking NOC Matrix, NOC code for operations officer is 1221. But my job duties does not match with this code.

So, I am having a trouble in choosing right NOC Code for my application under CEC. Please advise.

Regards
Jay

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Check these three -

6235 Financial sales representatives
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/ProfileKeyword.aspx?val=6&val1=6235&val11=bank+officer&val12=0&val13=0&val14=&val15=0&val16=0
Example: mortgage loans officer

1114 Other financial officers
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/ProfileKeyword.aspx?val=1&val1=1114&val11=bank+officer&val12=0&val13=0&val14=&val15=0&val16=0
foreign interbanking arrangements officer
interbanking arrangements officer

0122 Banking, credit and other investment managers
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/SearchKeywordResult.aspx?val11=bank+manager&val12=0&val13=0&val14=&val15=0&val16=0

example: manager, banking operations

jaysangha

Star Member
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks jes_ON but I am still confused about it. Below are my job duties and requirement. Please advise right NOC Code based on this duties

Job Title: Operations Offic

Job Purpose:

Processing and handling of Corporate, Commercial and Loan related operations.

Area of Responsibilities

1 Processing of Account Opening Applications and requests.

2 Coordinating with Corporate, Commercial and Loan Departments.

3. Reconciliation of Nostro Accounts.

4. After sales service with regard to Account maintenance, funds transfer.

5. Handle Customer Requests.

6. MIS Preparation, maintenance and publishing.

7. Understand customer impacting areas in processes and propose fixes.

8. Movement of Files and other material related to Operations Department.

9. Arrange the processed files and applications as per the guidelines in vogue.

10. Moving within the Department and while interacting with other departments

11. Adherence to processes as per Bank's PAC Notes and SOAx documents.

12. Follow up effectively on delegated assignments/tasks/communications and
escalate timely.

13. Other duties as assigned.

Job Requirements/ Specification

Qualifications : Graduate

Work Experience : 2 - 4 years

Industry : Banking and Financial Services/BPO/ Other Services Industry

Area of work : Commercial, Corporate Loan, Mortgages,Account Opening, Clearing, Broker Operations

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Unfortunately, your position sounds like a loan processor / clerk, which is classified as skill level C.

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/ProfileKeyword.aspx?val=1&val1=1434&val11=loan&val12=0&val13=0&val14=&val15=0&val16=0

You would have to be at a supervisory or management level to be classified under a "skilled" NOC.

You might want to either ask your HR department, or send your job description to HRSDC for a suggested NOC.

jaysangha

Star Member
Jul 27, 2012
jes_ON even I feel the same. I sent all my job duties to HRSDC to seek their advice. They have suggested me NOC code 6235.

But they have also asked me to verify as I am in a better position to determine whether or not this NOC code reflects my job. So, please advise if I should go ahead with NOC code 6235 and if there is any other alternative available for me.

GinnyPi

Star Member
Feb 21, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Based on the duties that you have posted, I suspect that it will be a tough sell to convince a VO that the appropriate NOC code is 6235. Honestly, the right one is probably 1434 (i dont think its fair) but that doesn't help you for CEC. If you choose to use apply with code 6235, I would strongly suggest that you include the email from HRSDC as a supporting document.
Questions: Is this a job posting or a summary of the actual things that you do on a daily basis?
Are you out of time in terms of renewing your Work Permit and/or trying to get another job or a more senior position?

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GinnyPi said:
Based on the duties that you have posted, I suspect that it will be a tough sell to convince a VO that the appropriate NOC code is 6235. Honestly, the right one is probably 1434 (i dont think its fair) but that doesn't help you for CEC. If you choose to use apply with code 6235, I would strongly suggest that you include the email from HRSDC as a supporting document.
Questions: Is this a job posting or a summary of the actual things that you do on a daily basis?
Are you out of time in terms of renewing your Work Permit and/or trying to get another job or a more senior position?
You have nothing to loose by applying. If hrdc have suggested that noc, go with it. Submit the email when applying. They know better than people on here.

jaysangha

Star Member
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks GinnyPi and jsm0085. Regarding your questions GinnyPi these are offical job duties of an Operations officer in the organization I am working for. Beside these I am doing other activities as well.

GinnyPi

Star Member
Feb 21, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi jaysangha, could you list the actual duties that you perform? You may be able to select a better NOC code.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
GinnyPi said:
Hi jaysangha, could you list the actual duties that you perform? You may be able to select a better NOC code.
LOL, he already did, read above.

The problem with NOC 6235 is that it is for positions in retail locations that have direct customer contact. The OP is in a corporate office, and I don't believe he has direct customer contact. Unfortunately, HRSDC doesn't always get it right, and they tend to err on the "skilled" side; CIC is more strict about distinguishing between "skilled" and "unskilled," and they tend to err on the "unskilled" side...

I personally don't think it would work, but whether you try to apply with it depends on how willing you are to risk the application fee. If you have more time to work on your work permit, you could stay in your position and look for a promotion (at least to a less ambiguous position), or look for other work. Or perhaps your employer would be willing to work with you on a PNP application...

GinnyPi

Star Member
Feb 21, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jes_ON said:
LOL, he already did, read above.

The problem with NOC 6235 is that it is for positions in retail locations that have direct customer contact. The OP is in a corporate office, and I don't believe he has direct customer contact. Unfortunately, HRSDC doesn't always get it right, and they tend to err on the "skilled" side; CIC is more strict about distinguishing between "skilled" and "unskilled," and they tend to err on the "unskilled" side...

I personally don't think it would work, but whether you try to apply with it depends on how willing you are to risk the application fee. If you have more time to work on your work permit, you could stay in your position and look for a promotion (at least to a less ambiguous position), or look for other work. Or perhaps your employer would be willing to work with you on a PNP application...
Nope, read this
jaysangha said:
Thanks GinnyPi and jsm0085. Regarding your questions GinnyPi these are offical job duties of an Operations officer in the organization I am working for. Beside these I am doing other activities as well.
In banks, back office job titles tend to be generalised although the individual responsibilities are specialized.

jaysangha

Star Member
Jul 27, 2012
Hi GinnyPi below are the other activities I am doing in the bank. Please advise right NOC Code based on these activities

§ Mortgage Operation for Branch channel and Broker Channel.
§ Reconciliation of MBS Mortgages, Insured Mortgage portfolio.
§ Reconciliation of Nostro Accounts.
§ Managing commission payout to Brokers on Retail Mortgages.
§ Coordinating with Underwriters, Sales team and Credit Team.
§ Regulatory reporting to Fintrac and OSFI.
§ Monitoring Online Bill payment transactions from customers.
§ Communicating within the department and interacting with other departments.
§ Adhering to processes as per Bank's PAC Notes and SOAx documents.
§ Following up effectively on delegated assignments/tasks/communications and escalating in a timely manner.
§ Other duties as assigned.

aliennotanymore

Feb 25, 2013
jaysangha said:
jes_ON even I feel the same. I sent all my job duties to HRSDC to seek their advice. They have suggested me NOC code 6235.

But they have also asked me to verify as I am in a better position to determine whether or not this NOC code reflects my job. So, please advise if I should go ahead with NOC code 6235 and if there is any other alternative available for me.
Hello,

Can you please send me the link to contact HRSDC to know exactly under which NOC code should I apply? I have some doubts too about my duties and responsibilities.

Thank you.