+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seek asylum on religious grounds

abzy931

Mar 21, 2015
im Pakistani national born and raised in Saudi Arabia. I have a valid visitor visa. as im from minority so theres threat to us in Pakistan. I visit Pakistan every year though for about 2-3 weeks. But recently there have been growing concerns. Is it possible i enter canada on visitor visa and apply asylum. Im currently living in Saudi Arabia and even here situation for expatriates are getting tough. I dont want to move to Pakistan permanently. Also where do i apply when I land at airport or later inland ? also will I be able to work after applying for asylum ?

or do you think a better idea is i move on student visa and complete a 2 year course and go on for the PGWP ? Im 26 so will I be accepted at college for a 2 year diploma ?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
im Pakistani national born and raised in Saudi Arabia. I have a valid visitor visa. as im from minority so theres threat to us in Pakistan. I visit Pakistan every year though for about 2-3 weeks. But recently there have been growing concerns. Is it possible i enter canada on visitor visa and apply asylum. Im currently living in Saudi Arabia and even here situation for expatriates are getting tough. I dont want to move to Pakistan permanently. Also where do i apply when I land at airport or later inland ? also will I be able to work after applying for asylum ?

or do you think a better idea is i move on student visa and complete a 2 year course and go on for the PGWP ? Im 26 so will I be accepted at college for a 2 year diploma ?
Yes and you would realistically have to apply at the airport. However, your narrative does not indicate the likelihood of a successful asylum application. The fact that you are ok with going to Pakistan regularly is a serious impediment.

Reactions: Buletruck

Jan 10, 2017

You cannot apply asylum on the basis of you don't want move back to Pakistan just because you are from minority. It sounds like generalized risk not as subjective fear. I encourage you to apply for student permit and don't think about applying asylum as chances of getting accepted is slim.

live&love

Apr 25, 2018

Refugee system is very long and slow. Plus you’ll lose pretty much everything regarding granting visas if your refugee claim gets rejected.

I would suggest you taking the student visa route, it’ll be much better.

abzy931

Mar 21, 2015
What happens if refugee claim is accepted can we work after that ? How long does it take for claim to be accepeted if applied inland.

Also regarding student visa. I have completed bachelors from UK back in 2013 and Masters from Dubai last year. If i apply for two year college diploma wouldnt they object on thr fact ive done masters already so why do i wanna do diploma. I will study different to what ive study for masters and bachelors. Ive studied business but will now study computer programming. Should i mention in application that ive done bachelors and masters or shouldn't I ? My UK stamps are in my previous passport. Can they check previous passport history ?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Current processing times for refugees in Canada is 30 months. That how long you will need to wait to find out if they will even accept your claim (IMO that will be difficult since you haven’t lived in Pakistan for a while).

As you have a masters, the chances of a student visa for a completely different line of study (and a diploma course at that) will likely be refused. No continuity between study program. It also risks getting other visas more difficult, particularly if you keep changing visa types in the future.

Again, IMO, why not just apply to immigrate through EE or PNP. Chances are better, quicker timeline and no restrictions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanna

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
What happens if refugee claim is accepted can we work after that ? How long does it take for claim to be accepeted if applied inland.

Also regarding student visa. I have completed bachelors from UK back in 2013 and Masters from Dubai last year. If i apply for two year college diploma wouldnt they object on thr fact ive done masters already so why do i wanna do diploma. I will study different to what ive study for masters and bachelors. Ive studied business but will now study computer programming. Should i mention in application that ive done bachelors and masters or shouldn't I ? My UK stamps are in my previous passport. Can they check previous passport history ?
From what you have stated, you have no grounds for an asylum claim.

Lying about your previous education is misrepresentation, immigration fraud.

Reactions: Bryanna

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

They just pass a request to the UK for information...

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
You don't have any grounds to claim asylum. You've lived in KSA, UK and UAE. Your claim will seem like a refugee for economic reasons. It is likely to be refused. This would make it extremely difficult to get visas to other visa-required countries in the future.

Also regarding student visa. I have completed bachelors from UK back in 2013 and Masters from Dubai last year. If i apply for two year college diploma wouldnt they object on thr fact ive done masters already so why do i wanna do diploma. I will study different to what ive study for masters and bachelors. Ive studied business but will now study computer programming.
Your intended study program must be in a field that's in-line with your previous qualifications + any work experience you have.

Should i mention in application that ive done bachelors and masters or shouldn't I ? My UK stamps are in my previous passport. Can they check previous passport history ?
Your current passport is linked to your previous passport. UK and Canada share immigration data. You would not want to be untruthful nor conceal any material facts in any visa application as it could result in a 5 years' ban for misrepresentation

abzy931

Mar 21, 2015
You don't have any grounds to claim asylum. You've lived in KSA, UK and UAE. Your claim will seem like a refugee for economic reasons. It is likely to be refused. This would make it extremely difficult to get visas to other visa-required countries in the future

Thanks for the detailed answer. This is my question that i havent lived in Pakistan permanently and in Saudi Arabia there is no PR we have to renew work permit every year. In Pakistan there have been threats to us with recently people around our home in Pakistan threating us to leave or face consequences. We even complained to police. Anyway lets just say i file application inland after landing and they say the claim is legit and will be forwarded for hearing. Can i work legally once my they think claim is legit and forward it to asylum and refugee department ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the detailed answer. This is my question that i havent lived in Pakistan permanently and in Saudi Arabia there is no PR we have to renew work permit every year. In Pakistan there have been threats to us with recently people around our home in Pakistan threating us to leave or face consequences. We even complained to police. Anyway lets just say i file application inland after landing and they say the claim is legit and will be forwarded for hearing. Can i work legally once my they think claim is legit and forward it to asylum and refugee department ?
It all depends on whether you have savings. If you have savings you are expected to live off your savings. Given the you haven't been living permanently in Pakistan it will be hard to prove that you personally are not able to live there without risk. You are also expected to try to relocate within Pakistan to see if that will solve any problem you may be experiencing.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks for the detailed answer. This is my question that i havent lived in Pakistan permanently and in Saudi Arabia there is no PR we have to renew work permit every year. In Pakistan there have been threats to us with recently people around our home in Pakistan threating us to leave or face consequences. We even complained to police.
As you have lived in KSA since birth + you were able to study in the UK and UAE (right until last year) + you have not relocated to Pakistan nor have you faced any personal persecution/threats to your life in Pakistan or in KSA.... it would be impossible to prove you are a genuine asylum seeker.

Threats issued to the general populace or to people around you are not in the same league as threats issued directly to you.... from an asylum perspective,

Anyway lets just say i file application inland after landing and they say the claim is legit and will be forwarded for hearing.
IMO, you're risking a refusal of your asylum claim + you would be scuttling all chances of getting visas to most countries in the future by claiming asylum merely on speculation and if-and-but scenarios. There is no real, perceivable threat to your life in KSA or Pakistan.

Can i work legally once my they think claim is legit and forward it to asylum and refugee department ?
Have you checked to see if you're eligible for immigration through Express Entry?

abzy931

Mar 21, 2015
Keeping all the apsects aside. My question is once I land and apply for asylum inland a few days later and the agent over there accepts the petition and forwards it to the department for hearing. Can I get a work permit till the final decision is made on my asylum. Lets just say it takes 2years for final decision so can I work all this time legally ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Keeping all the apsects aside. My question is once I land and apply for asylum inland a few days later and the agent over there accepts the petition and forwards it to the department for hearing. Can I get a work permit till the final decision is made on my asylum. Lets just say it takes 2years for final decision so can I work all this time legally ?
It all depends on your savings. If you have savings you are expected to use those. Work permit is to try to get people to work so that they no longer qualify for welfare.