+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeing a doctor during the 3 month waiting period

SupDog

Sep 24, 2015
Hello,

Gonna be landing with my family in Toronto in February as part of the FSW 2015 program and from my understanding it will take 3 months till me and my family will be eligible for provincial health care. I want to get private insurance for this period of time, but all private insurance plans for new immigrants and visitors I've stumbled upon only cover medical emergencies. I would like to get an insurance that will allow me to visit a physician in case of a non life threatening condition, like if the kids get feverish, i'd like to be able to take them to the doctor. Is there an insurance like that? :)

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
You can get a plan for New Immigrants from a private insurance company and most of those plans cover you in case of fever and flu.

https://arbetovinsurance.com/new-immigrants-canada-insurance/

You can email directly at eugene@arbetovinsurance.com if you need a personalized quote or advice.

SupDog

Sep 24, 2015
goldenbrown said:
You can get a plan for New Immigrants from a private insurance company and most of those plans cover you in case of fever and flu.

You can email directly at eugene @ arbetovinsurance.com if you need a personalized quote or advice.
Hey thanks for the reply.

I am worried because even the site you have linked states in the FAQ :
"Does New Immigrants health insurance cover regular visits to a doctor or a clinic?
A: Unfortunately, all Visitors to Canada Insurance plans including those designed for New Immigrants to Canada will only cover medical emergencies."

I don't want to be the person to decide whether a certain condition is a medical emergency or not.

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
Flu and fever most likely will qualify as emergencies. Routine check ups will not be covered (routine meaning you went for a check up even though you have not exhibited any symptoms). So basically if you feel sick or come down with fever or flu you would be covered.

In any case before you go to the hospital or clinic you will be required to call the insurance company which will confirm the treatment and provide you with course of action.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
My wife used one of the companies from this site (think it was the TIC one), and had no problems making a claim. https://www.kanetix.ca/travel-visitors-to-canada
She had a minor stomach pain come up so went to a walk-in doctor to have it diagnosed, did some tests, and everything was fully paid by the insurance.

Basically as long as you go to a doctor for a specific symptom that comes up, and not just as a regular check-up, it can be classified as an "emergency" condition.