+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Section 16(1) misrepresentation ...... Need advise

pareshrpatel

Jul 20, 2019
Hi,
I have recently applied for Canada TRV visa on 8th July 2019 and got decision on 19th July 2019 with below response. As per my US travel history yes i have got US inadmissibility during my H1B interview in 2015 but at the same time Visa officer has filed my waiver of inadmissibility and was approved after 8 months and got H1B Visa. In December 2017 I was travelling back to US after my emergency visit to India I was stopped at port of entry and asked me to apply for new waiver and new visa because visa was expiring in a week and waiver was also approved only for 1 years. I went to visa interview in 2018 february and again visa office applied for my waiver of inadmissibility which approved after 11 months but asked me submit H1B related documents for visa. which is still in process and application status is in administrative. I thought since my application after denied it was approved, the section 16(1) will be NO for me but looks like i was wrong. Please suggest me what kind of reply need to send. Or is it OK if i dont reply and submit new TRV application? Thank you so much in advance.

I have reviewed your application and documents you submitted in its support. Subsection 11(1) of the immigration and refugee protection act provides that a foreign national must, before entering to Canada, apply to an officer for a visa or any other document required by the Regulations. The visa or document shall be issued if, following an examination, the officer is satisfied that the foreign national is not inadmissible and meets the requirements of this Act.

I am not satisfied that you have fulfilled the requirement put upon you by section 16(1) of the immigration and Refugee Protection Act, which states:

16(1) A person who makes an application must answer truthfully all questions put to them for the purpose of the examination and must produce a visa and all relevant evidence and documents that the officer reasonably requires.

Specifically your response of "NO" to the question, "Have you ever been refused a visa or permit, denied entry or ordered to leave Canada or any other Country or territory? " Omits material information regarding the outcome of your immigration history with the USA. Specifically, I am concerned that you have failed to declare a denial of entry and/or a removal order, as well as one or more subsequent USA non-immigration visa refusals. As the withholding of this information was liable to induce an error in the administration of the Act, i am concerned that you may be inadmissible to Canada for misrepresentation.

Please note that if it is found that you have engaged in misrepresentation in submitting your application for a Temporary residence visa, you may be found to be inadmissible under Section 40(1)(a) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. A finding of such inadmissibility would render you inadmissible to Canada for a period of five years according to section 40(2)(a):

40(1) A permanent resident or a foreign national is inadmissible for misrepresentation (a) for directly or indirectly misrepresenting or withholding material facts relating to a relevant matter that induces or could induce an error in the administration of this Act

40(2) The following provision govern subsection (1) :
(a) the permanent resident or the foreign national continues to be inadmissible for misrepresentation for a period of five years following, in the case of a determination outside Canada, a final determination of inadmissibility under subsection (1) or, in the case of determination in Canada, the date the removal order is enforced.

I would like to give you an opportunity to respond to this information. I will afford you 10 days from the receipt of this letter to make any representations in this regard. Please email your scanned documents at delhiimmigration email. in the subject line, please indicate your file number.

If you do not respond to this request within the time outlined above, your application will be refused.

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
One thing is for sure, do not ignore this message and just apply a new trv. You must respond within 10 days and explain your situation. Why are you inadmissible to the United States? Were you ever refused any type of visa for US? Did you have a removal order? Best you can do is write them back explaining why you wrote no, you would know the reasons for it. It is possible (if not likely) that they will ban you from Canada for 5 years for misrepresentation if they are not satisfied with your answer.

Reactions: bellaluna

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hi,
I have recently applied for Canada TRV visa on 8th July 2019 and got decision on 19th July 2019 with below response. As per my US travel history yes i have got US inadmissibility during my H1B interview in 2015 but at the same time Visa officer has filed my waiver of inadmissibility and was approved after 8 months and got H1B Visa. In December 2017 I was travelling back to US after my emergency visit to India I was stopped at port of entry and asked me to apply for new waiver and new visa because visa was expiring in a week and waiver was also approved only for 1 years. I went to visa interview in 2018 february and again visa office applied for my waiver of inadmissibility which approved after 11 months but asked me submit H1B related documents for visa. which is still in process and application status is in administrative. I thought since my application after denied it was approved, the section 16(1) will be NO for me but looks like i was wrong. Please suggest me what kind of reply need to send. Or is it OK if i dont reply and submit new TRV application? Thank you so much in advance.

I have reviewed your application and documents you submitted in its support. Subsection 11(1) of the immigration and refugee protection act provides that a foreign national must, before entering to Canada, apply to an officer for a visa or any other document required by the Regulations. The visa or document shall be issued if, following an examination, the officer is satisfied that the foreign national is not inadmissible and meets the requirements of this Act.

I am not satisfied that you have fulfilled the requirement put upon you by section 16(1) of the immigration and Refugee Protection Act, which states:

16(1) A person who makes an application must answer truthfully all questions put to them for the purpose of the examination and must produce a visa and all relevant evidence and documents that the officer reasonably requires.

Specifically your response of "NO" to the question, "Have you ever been refused a visa or permit, denied entry or ordered to leave Canada or any other Country or territory? " Omits material information regarding the outcome of your immigration history with the USA. Specifically, I am concerned that you have failed to declare a denial of entry and/or a removal order, as well as one or more subsequent USA non-immigration visa refusals. As the withholding of this information was liable to induce an error in the administration of the Act, i am concerned that you may be inadmissible to Canada for misrepresentation.

Please note that if it is found that you have engaged in misrepresentation in submitting your application for a Temporary residence visa, you may be found to be inadmissible under Section 40(1)(a) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. A finding of such inadmissibility would render you inadmissible to Canada for a period of five years according to section 40(2)(a):

40(1) A permanent resident or a foreign national is inadmissible for misrepresentation (a) for directly or indirectly misrepresenting or withholding material facts relating to a relevant matter that induces or could induce an error in the administration of this Act

40(2) The following provision govern subsection (1) :
(a) the permanent resident or the foreign national continues to be inadmissible for misrepresentation for a period of five years following, in the case of a determination outside Canada, a final determination of inadmissibility under subsection (1) or, in the case of determination in Canada, the date the removal order is enforced.

I would like to give you an opportunity to respond to this information. I will afford you 10 days from the receipt of this letter to make any representations in this regard. Please email your scanned documents at delhiimmigration email. in the subject line, please indicate your file number.

If you do not respond to this request within the time outlined above, your application will be refused.
Reply with everything that you mentioned here, plus if there is something else you are not telling us, you have to mention everything about past visa applications. Not replying will make your situation much, much worse and will likely result in a 5 year ban.

pareshrpatel

Jul 20, 2019
Reply with everything that you mentioned here, plus if there is something else you are not telling us, you have to mention everything about past visa applications. Not replying will make your situation much, much worse and will likely result in a 5 year ban.
Sure, I will reply with all the situations with my USA travel history. I got 212(d) () misrepresentation and inadmissibility because I transferred to different university after coming to US in 2008 and at that time my SEVIS didnt transferred, later on i applied for SEVIS reinstatement but it was denied so i left the US and came back with new SEVIS with the same student visa. after that i travelled couple of time to India also my student OPT got approved twice and then H1B also got approved in 2012 but in 2015 when I went for stamping in India, Visa officer has initially approved my visa but later he called me back and started asking about SEVIS reinstatement issue and He gave me inadmissibility and refusal sheet but at the same time he said he will apply for my waiver of inadmissibility and i dont have to do anything. After 8 months it was approved and asked me submit passport and i got the visa.
Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

pareshrpatel

Jul 20, 2019
One thing is for sure, do not ignore this message and just apply a new trv. You must respond within 10 days and explain your situation. Why are you inadmissible to the United States? Were you ever refused any type of visa for US? Did you have a removal order? Best you can do is write them back explaining why you wrote no, you would know the reasons for it. It is possible (if not likely) that they will ban you from Canada for 5 years for misrepresentation if they are not satisfied with your answer.
Sure, i will do the same. thanks a lot!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sure, I will reply with all the situations with my USA travel history. I got 212(d) () misrepresentation and inadmissibility because I transferred to different university after coming to US in 2008 and at that time my SEVIS didnt transferred, later on i applied for SEVIS reinstatement but it was denied so i left the US and came back with new SEVIS with the same student visa. after that i travelled couple of time to India also my student OPT got approved twice and then H1B also got approved in 2012 but in 2015 when I went for stamping in India, Visa officer has initially approved my visa but later he called me back and started asking about SEVIS reinstatement issue and He gave me inadmissibility and refusal sheet but at the same time he said he will apply for my waiver of inadmissibility and i dont have to do anything. After 8 months it was approved and asked me submit passport and i got the visa.
Thanks a lot for your suggestion.
You should definitely have answered "yes" in the application. As others have said, you need to respond and provide your full immigration history including ALL refusals. At this point the best case scenario you can hope for is a refusal of your application to Canada. What you are trying to avoid is the 5 year ban.

pareshrpatel

Jul 20, 2019
Hi All,
As you have suggested, I replied to given query to immigration department with my full US immigration history with documents like recent I797 and 221g (query regarding latest client information), denial entry with self withdrawal form etc. But now i have got another query and asked me to submit client information. I guess this is the same information asked in my US H1B query as well. My current US H1B visa process is in administrative status and since my employer was not able to provide me client letters and other documents I gave my resignation to that employer and currently looking for new employer and client. But I am not sure why i was asked to submit client information to this TRV visa application. is this mean that they asked me to submit my previous (last) client information?

This is the response i got from Canada immigration department. Please suggest what should i do?

This refers to your application for a Temporary Resident Visa to visit Canada.
Additional documentation or information is required in order to continue processing your
application. Any documents not in English or French must be accompanied by a certified
translation in addition to a photocopy of the original document. Do not submit originals unless
specifically asked to do so.
Client Information: Please resubmit your response to PFL This must be received at this
office by:

Boblizz

Nov 12, 2017
Hi Parashrpatel,
I am interested in knowing how this case went. Were you able to get your visa approved after submitting all required document