+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Secondary inspection at Poe airport refugee citizen

maddy044

Jan 22, 2016
Key word : REFUGEE
If there is no threat it could be treated as misrepresentation. Whether you are a citizen or not, the ability to travel freely to a place from where you escaped because of a threat to life is problematic.
Incorrect. A citizen is a citizen and it does not matter at all how they became one (of course, barring misrepresentation which is true for any stream not just refugee). Country conditions keep changing all the time and while someone might need protection at a certain point, it’s possible that they don’t need it anymore.

You are wrongly implying that anyone that goes back to their home country (5-6 years after their refugee claim) would have at the the time of their refugee claim misrepresented themselves.

People have enough things on their plate already, stop spreading misinformation. There is literally a clause in the immigration act whereby change of country conditions can mean your refugee status is revoked but you can still remain a PR. Do your research before you form an opinion.

Last edited:

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Incorrect. A citizen is a citizen and it does not matter at all how they became one (of course, barring misrepresentation which is true for any stream not just refugee). Country conditions keep changing all the time and while someone might need protection at a certain point, it’s possible that they don’t need it anymore.

You are wrongly implying that anyone that goes back to their home country (5-6 years after their refugee claim) would have at the the time of their refugee claim misrepresented themselves.

People have enough things on their plate already, stop spreading misinformation. There is literally a clause in the immigration act whereby change of country conditions can mean your refugee status is revoked but you can still remain a PR. Do your research before you form an opinion.
Strong words but debatable. LOL.

Going as far back as 2012, the government actively reopened files of refugees who had visited their home countries. Some reports even alleged that the then federal government had a target for this purpose.
As late at 2016, there was a well documented case of a refugee who was facing removal orders after being stripped of their permanent resident status following multiple visits to home country.

I haven't implied that the said person misrepresented. If you re read the post, I repeat, it could be treated as misrepresentation. We may not want this to be true, but the authorities could have a different way of looking at it.

A former refugee, returning from home country, faces secondary questioning. Coincidence? If you insist.

116sg17

Jan 26, 2021

Going as far back as 2012, the government actively reopened files of refugees who had visited their home countries. Some reports even alleged that the then federal government had a target for this purpose.
As late at 2016, there was a well documented case of a refugee who was facing removal orders after being stripped of their permanent resident status following multiple visits to home country.

I haven't implied that the said person misrepresented. If you re read the post, I repeat, it could be treated as misrepresentation. We may not want this to be true, but the authorities could have a different way of looking at it.

A former refugee, returning from home country, faces secondary questioning. Coincidence? If you insist.
Just a visit to home country is not sufficient to do any harm to a citizen who was a former refugee. Yes it may lead to investigation but unlikely and even if it does, one does not have anything to worry about as long as they did not have any misrepresentation in claim, PR, or citizenship application. I have never came across a case where it was argued that person mispresented themselves in the past because they visited country of origin after becoming citizen. Even for people who were stripped off their PR or are currently facing cessation, it is usually argued that the person has re-availed themselves into protection of their home country and as far as I know re-availment is not same as misrepresentation.

Misrepresentation is only ground to revoke citizenship so a person who has a misrepresentation at any point during immigration process can get in trouble at any point even without visiting the country they once seeked protection from. Re-availment does not impact citizens even if they were former refugees.

@dpenabill made a thread regarding cessation. This has some detailed discussion.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/refugee-status-cessation-and-prs-applying-for-citizenship.333455/

Reactions: pharmjam

maddy044

Jan 22, 2016

Key word: PERMANENT RESIDENT (as OP mentioned their friend is already a citizen)

You will NEVER see a case of revocation of citizenship for the mere reason the applicant went back to their home country. Misrepresentation will ALWAYS be involved. So I respectfully disagree that this is “debatable” when it’s based on facts.

Like @116sg17 rightly mentioned, re-availment is different to misrepresentation. While misrepresentation will get you banned from Canada for 5 years (correct me if I’m wrong) re-availment in most cases will mean that Canada thinks you no longer need her protection. As a result this would mean your permanent residence has also ceased in most cases apart from the one I mentioned above (change in country conditions).

My apologies if you felt I used strong words but please be careful when you are presenting an opinion as a fact on forums such as this which can have big impacts on a persons life and mental well-being. Nothing personal buddy.

Reactions: pharmjam