+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Second thoughts - Question 9c: Did you live outside Canada?

searing_heat

Jun 8, 2013
I have already submitted my application back on Oct 12. However, one thing keeps bugging me about question 9c (I was pretty confident when I selected the answer). I know there has been some difference of opinion on this question in the threads.

I was living in Canada during my eligibility period, but did go on many vacations, sometimes for 4 weeks etc. However, never really 'reside' there. I selected No for this question as my assumption (after looking at the help and guide) was that we should select 'Yes' only if the conditions of 'time spent outside Canada counting towards physical presence can be counted' is applicable.

Was there anyone else in the same boat as me and selected No for 9c? ... I guess looking to calm down my nerves :p

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
You did fine. You filled the correct answer. You can stop thinking about it and relax.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
I was on 4 week vacations and have answered no. My wife was on a 3 month vacation to her hometown, she is answering no. Because it was a vacation. Nowhere we changed her "address".

I am pretty confident of my answer.

vasvas

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
Like the others before me said.. relax! The answer is No since you didn't change your address. The Physical Presence Calculator will list all your vacations. Stop worrying especially if you have submitted your application.

Last edited:

jithucan123

Feb 19, 2015
My eligibility period is from 01-Nov-2012 to 01-Nov-2017 and I became PR on 04-Mar-2014 before that I was never being in Canada. So What should I select Yes or No ?

iamroth

Champion Member
Jan 26, 2013
Category........
App. Filed.......
23-03-2018
9C is only for applicants who want to use their 'time' outside Canada, counted towards their presence calculator (example, working for canadian army or the government).

Its just a poorly worded question.
It should have said something like: "During your eligibility period did you live outside Canada as a Crown Servant?"..."Yes / No"

Reactions: vasvas

jithucan123

Feb 19, 2015
9C is only for applicants who want to use their 'time' outside Canada, counted towards their presence calculator (example, working for canadian army or the government).

Its just a poorly worded question.
It should have said something like: "During your eligibility period did you live outside Canada as a Crown Servant?"..."Yes / No"
Thanks a lot for your reply. I am just selecting "No" and that's it. Is that correct?

searing_heat

Jun 8, 2013
Thanks a lot for your reply. I am just selecting "No" and that's it. Is that correct?
This is why it is a confusing question. Technically you were 'living / residing' outside of Canada during that time i.e. you had your residential address not in Canada. I'm more focused on the word 'reside' here.. maybe other seniors can shed more light on your situation.

Reactions: jithucan123

iamroth

Champion Member
Jan 26, 2013
Category........
App. Filed.......
23-03-2018
Remember your eligibility date.

For example: your date is Nov/2012 to Nov/2017. You mentioned you came to Canada in March/2014. So before March/2014 you were in your home country. The question asks " During your eligibility date did you live outside Canada?"....I would click YES. because from Nov/2012 to March/2014, you lived outside Canada. So click YES, and include an explanation letter, saying

"Name
Address
UCI

RE: About question 9C on the Application for Canadian Citizenship Adults applying under subsection 5(1)

I was living in [City, Country] for the period of Nov/2012 to March/2014, that is why I have checked YES to question 9C, but I was not employed by the Government of Canada, and I do not wish to count time outside of Canada during the said period.

Signature."

Something along this line.

Reactions: jithucan123

jithucan123

Feb 19, 2015
This is why it is a confusing question. Technically you were 'living / residing' outside of Canada during that time i.e. you had your residential address not in Canada. I'm more focused on the word 'reside' here.. maybe other seniors can shed more light on your situation.
It's really confusing. However, Technically I am outside Canada from 2012 No to 2014 March so as advised by iamroth I am clicking Yes and attaching an explanation letter. Thanks a lot guys for your help

jithucan123

Feb 19, 2015
Remember your eligibility date.

For example: your date is Nov/2012 to Nov/2017. You mentioned you came to Canada in March/2014. So before March/2014 you were in your home country. The question asks " During your eligibility date did you live outside Canada?"....I would click YES. because from Nov/2012 to March/2014, you lived outside Canada. So click YES, and include an explanation letter, saying

"Name
Address
UCI

RE: About question 9C on the Application for Canadian Citizenship Adults applying under subsection 5(1)

I was living in [City, Country] for the period of Nov/2012 to March/2014, that is why I have checked YES to question 9C, but I was not employed by the Government of Canada, and I do not wish to count time outside of Canada during the said period.

Signature."

Something along this line.
Thanks a lot for your help Sir

jithucan123

Feb 19, 2015
But the additional form is nothing to do with the
Unless I'm mistaken, don't you have to attach the additional form if you select YES to this question? I'd say confirm if you should do both - add the additional filled out form and the explanation letter. This would be the 'safest option'.
Is it required? If so I can attach but I have only my Sur Name and Date of Birth to fill all other Questions are Not Applicable for me and most of us I guess.

Sparkling

Star Member
May 13, 2015
My eligibility period is from 01-Nov-2012 to 01-Nov-2017 and I became PR on 04-Mar-2014 before that I was never being in Canada. So What should I select Yes or No ?
We have the same circumstance. I called CIC to clarify. The agent told me to click "Yes" because technically I was living outside Canada. Then print out the form about being a Crown Servant, fill in your name and DoB, the write NOT APPLICABLE on the form.