+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Second PR renewal while studying abroad

gowra

Sep 16, 2014
Hi,This is the first ime I am posting on this forum.Let me start by congratulating you on your excellent job.At least,we know there is someone to talk to.Feels like family folks.Keep up the good job
I am a landed immigrant,and have completed my 4 years of undergraduate course in Canada.When I applied for PR renewal the first time,I had just completed the required number of days,and so got the PR renewed without any hitch.But for the second renewal,I have not put in adequate number of days.I am studying for a professional course outside Canada.I had applied for my citizenship,before I left.Unfortunately,this Maech,I received a notice from CIC that my application has been closed,as they did not receive a reply for a letter mailed to me.Unfortunately I did not receive any letter.So,I explained thes situation and reapplied [requesting them to reopen the previous application];But,on the website it still does not show that the application is reopened.It only shws my active PR status.
My renewal is coming up this January.But,I still have to complete my medical degre
My questions are
1.Can I state the reasons and apply for PR,with the hope of getting it?
2.How do I go about the citizenship application henceforth,since I do not have a clue,what is happening
BTW,I am 23 years old.Entered Canada as a 17 year old
Any help is welcome
Thank you in advance

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
I suspect that you may be out of luck, but that's just a guess -- if you don't have enough days, you're not going to be able to keep your PR status; without PR status, you can't receive citizenship; and so your continued stay in Canada depends on getting them to re-open your citizenship application. This will be difficult at best, and I suspect impossible; and when the new citizenship law takes effect in June of next year, your extended stay outside of Canada will possibly trigger the new 'intent to reside' clause. Furthermore, applying now to re-open your citizenship application might cause CIC to notice that your PR has lapsed.

Are you by any chance married to a Canadian? That would suffice to keep your PR for now; otherwise, you can apply again with a medical degree -- your history in Canada would probably make this application fairly routine.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you no longer meet the PR residency requirement then your citizenship application is dead. You must continue to meet the PR residency requirement while your citizenship application is in progress.

I would forget about your citizenship application (it's gone) and start worrying about your PR status.

If you want to keep your PR status your best bet is to re-enter Canada before your PR card expires and then not leave again until you have met the PR residency requirement.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
I see you posted the same message in the citizenship thread. So I will post again the same message.

Sorry to hear that it didn't turn out the way you expected. I was under the assumption that CIC encourages you to remain in Canada while you are awaiting for citizenship process. While a PR can leave after submitting the application, they run the risk of missing CIC requests and/or deadlines. The longer they stay out of Canada the higher the risk. The risk is even higher if CIC mailed the requests instead of emailing the requests. I may think that is why CIC mail the request instead of through email. This is one of the tools they use to ensure that you are in Canada.

As for the PR renewal, you can apply for a PR Travel Document if your PR card expires while you are still outside Canada attending medical school, so long as you meet the PR RO. Once you are back in Canada, you can then apply for a new PR card.

My advice is to reapply for Canadian citizenship once you settle back in Canada after you finished your medical school.

Once the citizenship application is closed, it is very difficult to get it reopened especially if you are still currently outside Canada. CIC could argue to say that if you had stayed in Canada, you would have gotten the request.

To argue that you haven't gotten the request because you left Canada for medical school is not a good enough reason for them to reopen it especially when CIC probably tried to contact you by mail twice before officially closing the file. The "second chance" allows applicant to respond in case they missed the 1st request while they were away on vacation for 2-3 weeks.

Screech339

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gowra said:
1.Can I state the reasons and apply for PR,with the hope of getting it?
2.How do I go about the citizenship application henceforth,since I do not have a clue,what is happening
BTW,I am 23 years old.Entered Canada as a 17 year old
Any help is welcome
Thank you in advance
1. It is very unlikely that they will renew your PR if you did not meet the RO and the reasons for not meeting it were by your choice to study outside Canada.
2. If they told you that your citizenship application is closed, then they most likely have tried to contact you, you have not responded and hence they closed your application. You would have to apply again and you would have to meet the requirements again before you can apply again.

However, I have a hard time with the math of your status. You say you entered Canada as a 17 yo. and now you are 23. In that case, your first PR card should have been from the age of 17 until 22 so you would not be anywhere near your 2nd renewal. When did you actually leave Canada and how many days do you have in Canada in the past 5 years? When is your PR card expiring?

gowra

Sep 16, 2014
Hi,
This is my second PR renewal.I came to Canada when I was 17 years old.Got my first PR renewed.Had to complete my Uni,waited aroud for MACT results, interviews,and then left to study Medicine outside Canada.
Having been coming home for vacations as well.So,I have the required 730 days.But it is only that Iam outside Canada currently.Will tht be a problem to renew PR?I guess I will finish my medschool and come for my residency here.Then apply for citizenship.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gowra said:
Hi,
This is my second PR renewal.I came to Canada when I was 17 years old.Got my first PR renewed.Had to complete my Uni,waited aroud for MACT results, interviews,and then left to study Medicine outside Canada.
Having been coming home for vacations as well.So,I have the required 730 days.But it is only that Iam outside Canada currently.Will tht be a problem to renew PR?I guess I will finish my medschool and come for my residency here.Then apply for citizenship.
So in your first post, you said you don't have the adequate number of days and now you say you do? The criteria for meeting the RO is having spent at least 730 days in Canada in the past 5 years. If you have that, you should apply to renew your PR card the next time you are in Canada.

gowra

Sep 16, 2014
Hi,Sorry for writing inQuote.I just could not figure out how to start a new post,inspite of using it earlier on.
I have run into a sticky situation and needed help urgently.Sorry again for the inconvenience

I have a peculiar problem.I was taking the help of a lawyer to send my Citizenship application.I was busy travelling and did not pay attention to the details on application.Now my Citizenship is still in process and my PR ends in 4 months.So,in order to apply for PR renewal,I was checking the dates submitted by the lawyer.They do not correspond at all.I have travelled a lot more times than what he has entered and the dates he has entered are differnt as well.I do not want to confront him,in case it jeopardises my applcation.Dont know what to do.Someone out there please help

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
gowra said:
Hi,Sorry for writing inQuote.I just could not figure out how to start a new post,inspite of using it earlier on.
I have run into a sticky situation and needed help urgently.Sorry again for the inconvenience

I have a peculiar problem.I was taking the help of a lawyer to send my Citizenship application.I was busy travelling and did not pay attention to the details on application.Now my Citizenship is still in process and my PR ends in 4 months.So,in order to apply for PR renewal,I was checking the dates submitted by the lawyer.They do not correspond at all.I have travelled a lot more times than what he has entered and the dates he has entered are differnt as well.I do not want to confront him,in case it jeopardises my applcation.Dont know what to do.Someone out there please help
Your lawyer has already jeopardized your application by putting incorrect information in it. Fire the lawyer, withdraw the application and file it yourself ensuring correct information is included.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Separate to the immigration issues that you must resolve asap based on the sound advice above you may wish to check with the relevant provincial medical organization/ college of physicians whether your 'out of Canada' academic qualifications are acceptable for eventual registration. You may find yourself having to 'upgrade' at significant costs. Further if you can get employment in Canada with your overseas qualification - entry barriers are high in regulated professions such as medicine.

margobear96

Star Member
Dec 21, 2012
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 15, 2012 (rec'd)
AOR Received.
November 26, 2012
File Transfer...
November 26, 2012
Med's Done....
September 29, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April 23, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 26, 2013 (rec'd May 2, 2013)
LANDED..........
May 4, 2013
Msafiri said:
Separate to the immigration issues that you must resolve asap based on the sound advice above you may wish to check with the relevant provincial medical organization/ college of physicians whether your 'out of Canada' academic qualifications are acceptable for eventual registration. You may find yourself having to 'upgrade' at significant costs. Further if you can get employment in Canada with your overseas qualification - entry barriers are high in regulated professions such as medicine.
Agree with this 100%. Aside from immigration issues, I think you need to seriously assess your plan to graduate med school abroad and do residency in Canada. My understanding is that there are next to no residency spots open in Canada for folks who didn't graduate from a Canadian med school.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/too-many-canadians-studying-medicine-overseas-1.993980
http://www.macleans.ca/education/uniandcollege/want-medical-degree-will-travel/

And these aren't even particularly negative articles, but Canadian residency still sounds like a crap shoot...do you feel lucky?