+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SDS Visa approval chances

Apr 6, 2021
Hello, everyone!
I'm just posting this thread because I'm freaking out a little about my study permit getting rejected and would really appreciate it if someone could validate whether my profile is good.
Thank you!
10th - 81.17%
12th - 81.71%
Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering - 64.67%(2.72 GPA by WES)
GMAT - 690
IELTS - 8.0 overall(8.5, 8.5, 7.5, 6.5)

I received an acceptance letter to the MBA program from Carleton University and I will apply for the study permit next week through SDS as my loan took a little bit of time to process considering the lockdown in my country(India). I booked a biometric appointment for the 5th of August and have already got my medical examination done.

I'm just worried that my study permit might get rejected as my previous studies were in the mechanical field and I know an MBA is supposed to be a generic field and VOs don't usually look for previous studies but it's still a concern to me. The other point I'm worried about is my employment history in that I don't have any as I've had to take care of both my parents who were terminally ill for 2 years after my graduation from bachelors in 2018(My mom passed away on January 2020 and my dad is currently perfectly fine). I've stated everything on my SOP but I'm still afraid these two reasons could be a big detriment to my study permit process. I'll also attach my SOP in this thread. Hope someone could provide me a feedback on my profile.

Thank you!

SOP google drive link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AK4dLsBG2FblZwj8ReznqxLy2-Qla507/view?usp=sharing

• Sad
Reactions: MZHSECA

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hello, everyone!
I'm just posting this thread because I'm freaking out a little about my study permit getting rejected and would really appreciate it if someone could validate whether my profile is good.
Thank you!
10th - 81.17%
12th - 81.71%
Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering - 64.67%(2.72 GPA by WES)
GMAT - 690
IELTS - 8.0 overall(8.5, 8.5, 7.5, 6.5)

I received an acceptance letter to the MBA program from Carleton University and I will apply for the study permit next week through SDS as my loan took a little bit of time to process considering the lockdown in my country(India). I booked a biometric appointment for the 5th of August and have already got my medical examination done.

I'm just worried that my study permit might get rejected as my previous studies were in the mechanical field and I know an MBA is supposed to be a generic field and VOs don't usually look for previous studies but it's still a concern to me. The other point I'm worried about is my employment history in that I don't have any as I've had to take care of both my parents who were terminally ill for 2 years after my graduation from bachelors in 2018(My mom passed away on January 2020 and my dad is currently perfectly fine). I've stated everything on my SOP but I'm still afraid these two reasons could be a big detriment to my study permit process. I'll also attach my SOP in this thread. Hope someone could provide me a feedback on my profile.

Thank you!

SOP google drive link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AK4dLsBG2FblZwj8ReznqxLy2-Qla507/view?usp=sharing
Your Bachelor's GPA is quite low, the rest of your profile looks good though.

I have concerns about you going for an MBA with no previous experience. It's not a normal progression to make. MBA is taken to enhance an established career, where one wants to move into Managerial or Leadership role - not much use for someone whose career has not even started.

I have looked at your SOP and still not convinced about why you are going for an MBA at this point. The VO might feel the same way.

I'm sure others will jump in and give you more advise.

Last edited:
Reactions: harry_.clifton
Apr 6, 2021
Your Bachelor's GPA is quite low, but the rest of your profile looks good though.

I have concerns about you going for an MBA with no previous experience. It's not a normal progression to make. MBA is taken to enhance an established career, where one wants to move into Managerial or Leadership role - not much use for someone whose career has not even started.

I have looked at your SOP and still not convinced about why you are going for an MBA at this point. The VO might feel the same way.

I'm sure others will jump in and give you more advise.
Thanks for the reply, @wonderbly.

I get that an MBA without work experience isn't a normal progression but I'm planning on pursuing an early career MBA which is the one offered at Carleton as it does not require work experience. So, this program is not necessarily equipped to move one to a Managerial role.

But yes, I guess I didn't specifically point out how this MBA will help me at this moment in time. I will add a few more points on that regard. Thank you, @wonderbly. But considering it's an early career MBA does it still throw a wrench into my plan?

• Sad

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020

I get that an MBA without work experience isn't a normal progression but I'm planning on pursuing an early career MBA which is the one offered at Carleton as it does not require work experience. So, this program is not necessarily equipped to move one to a Managerial role.

But yes, I guess I didn't specifically point out how this MBA will help me at this moment in time. I will add a few more points on that regard. Thank you, @wonderbly. But considering it's an early career MBA does it still throw a wrench into my plan?
I'm not familiar with what an "Early Career MBA" so can't really comment on it. Hopefully the VO would know what it is. I had a quick look-around on Carleton's site but couldn't find it, unless you are referring to their accelerated MBA program?

Be that as it may, Carleton is a solid school no doubt, and I'm sure this program is good too, but your ability to properly articulate why you are going this route at this point of your life is what will make or break your application.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

There is no such thing as an early career MBA. One of the requirements at Carleton is 2 years professional work experience, but they will waive it but you must do two internships. Assume that you are responsible for finding the internships, and what would happen if you don’t get your internships. Many people right now can’t fulfill co-op requirements.

Apr 6, 2021
An Early Career MBA is a generic term for an MBA that you can pursue right after your undergrad and doesn't require any work experience. And there is no distinct course named Early Career MBA that universities offer it's just stated as an MBA with work experience waived off. In my context Carleton's MBA is an early career MBA that does not require work experience but requires you to complete an internship term if that's the case. And no, it's not the accelerated MBA, it's just a normal MBA with a concentration.

You're right I had obliviously assumed that the VO will understand that it is an early career MBA without me mentioning it in my SOP and I didn't provide any explanation on that front. I'll do my best to articulate my reason for choosing this program on my SOP. Glad that you caught that, really appreciate it @wonderbly.

Apr 6, 2021
There is no such thing as an early career MBA. One of the requirements at Carleton is 2 years professional work experience, but they will waive it but you must do two internships. Assume that you are responsible for finding the internships, and what would happen if you don’t get your internships. Many people right now can’t fulfill co-op requirements.
Thanks for the reply, @Naturgrl.

I get that an MBA without work experience is not the traditional approach but it helps non business graduates to transition to another field. Regarding the internship(there's only one) I've asked the university and the recent graduates and there is a very good chance of getting an internship in my summer term next year considering the pandemic is under control but if not I can take my electives which are supposed to be in fall 2022 in the summer and finish my internship later when the situation persists as I have 2 years to complete my program.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
An Early Career MBA is a generic term for an MBA that you can pursue right after your undergrad and doesn't require any work experience. And there is no distinct course named Early Career MBA that universities offer it's just stated as an MBA with work experience waived off. In my context Carleton's MBA is an early career MBA that does not require work experience but requires you to complete an internship term if that's the case. And no, it's not the accelerated MBA, it's just a normal MBA with a concentration.

You're right I had obliviously assumed that the VO will understand that it is an early career MBA without me mentioning it in my SOP and I didn't provide any explanation on that front. I'll do my best to articulate my reason for choosing this program on my SOP. Glad that you caught that, really appreciate it @wonderbly.
Honestly, you have a tough task on your hands convincing the VO. You literally just spent 4 years studying towards a qualification and now you are looking into studying another degree to change from the field you just completed a minute ago. But good luck with it!

Apr 6, 2021
Assume your program doesn’t start in September given current processing times.
The program starts in September. If I can't make it then I can do it online. I can drop my classes by 30th September and get a full refund. So if I don't get my visa or it gets rejected I have till the 30th of September to drop my classes and defer to the next year.

Apr 6, 2021
Just a quick update, folks. I was unable to apply for the visa in July 2021 because my student loan was rejected so I had to apply for a new loan and I deferred my program to Jan 22. I had applied for the visa on October 28th and I received my PPR just a couple days back. Thank you, everyone, for helping me out. One more thing, the only changes I made in the SOP are mentioning why I'm doing an MBA without experience. Sure am glad that everything worked out in the end. Cheers!

Reactions: wonderbly