+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SDS 2022 Processing Time

parrots

Jul 19, 2022
For our family SP, SOPW and SP Minor, we submitted our SDS application last May 4th. Medicals were updated July 8th and 21st and nothing after that.

School starts on Sept 6 so we have decided to defer already to Jan Intake as the timelines are near impossible already and plane fares are sky high.

14th week of waiting already for us.
The same with us. Application May 8, biometrics May 12, have already deferred to January intake. Have you guys thought about what to do in case you get a refusal, apply again and the second application is not processed on time for January intake? This is the only question that's on my mind these days. As it seems that in case of a refusal, there might be not much time to re-apply and receive the second decision before January 2023.

wakongah

Star Member
Apr 11, 2022
Under normal circumstances, according to IRCC, family applications take the same time to process, even under SDS. However, this year is not a normal situation. And also, pay attention to the notice on IRCC website that says that they prioritize Work Permits for essential workers and other types of work permits would have to wait more than 21 weeks (at least this is the timeline for China, for India I think it's more, please, check the IRCC website). So, I'm guessing that if you have a spouse who is applying for the OWP, he or she falls under this category of "non-essential" workers these days. But these days only.
I think this only applies to work permits that are not tied to another application (study permit and whatnot)? But even if that’s true, I would think that it shouldn’t affect the SP applicant. The worst case would be that the SP would get approved far ahead of the OWP (hope not though!).

nghivt09

Aug 10, 2022
Under normal circumstances, according to IRCC, family applications take the same time to process, even under SDS. However, this year is not a normal situation. And also, pay attention to the notice on IRCC website that says that they prioritize Work Permits for essential workers and other types of work permits would have to wait more than 21 weeks (at least this is the timeline for China, for India I think it's more, please, check the IRCC website). So, I'm guessing that if you have a spouse who is applying for the OWP, he or she falls under this category of "non-essential" workers these days. But these days only.
does apply for a study permit for my son with me (SDS) will have to wait longer like this?

phoenix197

Star Member
Jul 1, 2021
Category........
STUDY
IELTS Request
23-10-2021
Med's Done....
09-05-2022
Over the past few days, I've noticed most of the May files that are getting their decisions are all between the 1st and the 25th of May. I think they might move on to 26 and above (including June) maybe by next week. Fingers crossed.
My file was lodged on May 25th and am still waiting for an update on medicals... I might defer to Jan in 2-3 days.

phoenix197

Star Member
Jul 1, 2021
Category........
STUDY
IELTS Request
23-10-2021
Med's Done....
09-05-2022
I think this only applies to work permits that are not tied to another application (study permit and whatnot)? But even if that’s true, I would think that it shouldn’t affect the SP applicant. The worst case would be that the SP would get approved far ahead of the OWP (hope not though!).
For India i guess it is 44 weeks(SOWP).

phoenix197

Star Member
Jul 1, 2021
Category........
STUDY
IELTS Request
23-10-2021
Med's Done....
09-05-2022
For our family SP, SOPW and SP Minor, we submitted our SDS application last May 4th. Medicals were updated July 8th and 21st and nothing after that.

School starts on Sept 6 so we have decided to defer already to Jan Intake as the timelines are near impossible already and plane fares are sky high.

14th week of waiting already for us.
Similar situation without the minor... However, only my wife's medical was updated on 5th July. Since then there's been no update ...
Hey, @mtosan did you defer already, and if you did- did you inform the college and IRCC authority regarding this? Also, do you have to apply for a visa extension if you defer?

Reactions: parrots

mtosan

Star Member
May 19, 2022
Similar situation without the minor... However, only my wife's medical was updated on 5th July. Since then there's been no update ...
Hey, @mtosan did you defer already, and if you did- did you inform the college and IRCC authority regarding this? Also, do you have to apply for a visa extension if you defer?

I have already deferred and informed the school but still have not received the new LOA so have not informed IRCC yet

Ad123j

Jul 11, 2022
Anyone with a combined application (student visa + sowp) who has got their decision? One of my friends told me that IRCC is ignoring combined applications and only focusing on single applications. Is it true?
i think it looks like. i have a combined application - SP + SOWP + Kid. Have not seen any update except medical update for spouse on 5th july whereas no update for primary applicant and kid.
File lodge date: 24 May. Bio: 30th May
Complete radio silence since then..........12th week has started today...........

Reactions: parrots

Suzanne__MD96

Jun 25, 2022
If I dont get the permit, I'd have to wait an entire year to join the course I chose. Since only Sep intake is available. Or change plans completely.
Will IRCC process June files in time? I hope so
thats unfortunate! just check the deferment rules for your college as well bec sometimes they dont let you defer for more than 8 months..

parrots

Jul 19, 2022
I actually agree with you on this. I also think it should not concern the joint applications. But my thinking goes what if in this crazy year, when they openly say that some work permits are not their first priority, joint applications get extra delayed as a result. But I still totally agree with what you are saying, though wouldn't it be cruel to tear the families apart issuing SP first and WP much more later? It's all a mess this year.