+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Screening for COVID-19

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Our family are all PRs, and have been physically living in Canada since 2016. My wife had to go to India couple of weeks back due to a family emergency, and is scheduled to land back in Toronto Pearson on Sunday morning. She is flying direct on Air Canada from Mumbai.

Canada just announced it is closing its borders to visitors, and only citizens and PRs will be permitted to enter. As PRs we appear to be fine for now, but Sunday feels like a long way off. Very concerned with the pace at which travel restrictions are widening.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/trudeau-travel-restrictions-ban-coronavirus-covid19-canada
Unfortunately there is a chance her flight may get cancelled. If would likely have to make sense for the airline to have an almost full airline on the way to Canada and back to India. Would make sure you have a plan b but it sounds that at least she has family to stay with if she gets stuck.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Our family are all PRs, and have been physically living in Canada since 2016. My wife had to go to India couple of weeks back due to a family emergency, and is scheduled to land back in Toronto Pearson on Sunday morning. She is flying direct on Air Canada from Mumbai.

Canada just announced it is closing its borders to visitors, and only citizens and PRs will be permitted to enter. As PRs we appear to be fine for now, but Sunday feels like a long way off. Very concerned with the pace at which travel restrictions are widening.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/trudeau-travel-restrictions-ban-coronavirus-covid19-canada
Prepare for home isolation for 14 days!

prash42

Jun 1, 2014
Unfortunately there is a chance her flight may get cancelled. If would likely have to make sense for the airline to have an almost full airline on the way to Canada and back to India. Would make sure you have a plan b but it sounds that at least she has family to stay with if she gets stuck.
She will be ok in Mumbai, but kids and I desperately need her back in Toronto :) Given American Airlines canceled all long haul international flights, there is a very good chance Air Canada is looking to rationalize capacity as well. We tried getting her onto an earlier flight, not a single available seat, even in business class. So there is definitely a ton of demand for the BOM-YYZ leg, although that might change given Canada's travel restrictions just in. Out of curiosity I checked the YYZ-BOM leg to assess demand in the opposite direction, and as things stand there are some seats available this week on Wednesday and Friday.

prash42

Jun 1, 2014
Prepare for home isolation for 14 days!
Yeah, 14-day home isolation once she gets to Toronto is the easy part. Given our family situation with young kids here with me in Toronto, I'm more concerned that the flight will get canceled :(

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
She will be ok in Mumbai, but kids and I desperately need her back in Toronto :) Given American Airlines canceled all long haul international flights, there is a very good chance Air Canada is looking to rationalize capacity as well. We tried getting her onto an earlier flight, not a single available seat, even in business class. So there is definitely a ton of demand for the BOM-YYZ leg, although that might change given Canada's travel restrictions just in. Out of curiosity I checked the YYZ-BOM leg to assess demand in the opposite direction, and as things stand there are some seats available this week on Wednesday and Friday.
You did have time to try and change to earlier flight in the past few weeks. I hope she gets onto a flight but it is really up to the airline and the government.

prash42

Jun 1, 2014
You did have time to try and change to earlier flight in the past few weeks. I hope she gets onto a flight but it is really up to the airline and the government.
Given demand appears to be there both directions, Air Canada should be fine continuing to fly to Mumbai. The wild card is what the government decides. As things stand, covid impact in India is relatively mild, but the situation is dynamic.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Given demand appears to be there both directions, Air Canada should be fine continuing to fly to Mumbai. The wild card is what the government decides. As things stand, covid impact in India is relatively mild, but the situation is dynamic.
Nothing you can do but wait and look at the fine print of any health insurance you may have purchased.

prash42

Jun 1, 2014
Nothing you can do but wait and look at the fine print of any health insurance you may have purchased.
Happy to report my wife boarded her flight in Mumbai, and lands in Toronto tomorrow morning. She will self-isolate for 14 days. Mumbai airport currently is a ghost town, Air Canada is one of the few airlines still flying. We have friends who weren't as lucky to get onto earlier flights. India just announced suspension of all international flights effective Sunday.

Reactions: canuck78