+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Scrap the oath ceremony

scuba ken

Star Member
May 13, 2013
my sis in Australia is already a citizen while i wait here in this land for application withdrawal. I have never in my life seen such a broken system
this is administrate incompetence, I understand Covid, but all this is on line and computerized , which means the work can be done anywhere, sorry, this whole system is poorly managed, those who cross the boarder illegally seem to be processed with no history or documents in record time.
‘maybe we should all head to the boarder and cross illegally.

one day ‘perhaps’ we will all be voters, at that point we can voice our concerns , until then, we deal with ‘if you don’t like the service you are getting, go somewhere else‘

Reactions: luvtrump

americanidiot

Sep 18, 2021
i couldn’t deal with another push back, it’s been almost 5 years now.
might apply to Australia, the weather is better
Are you an Australian Permanent Resident? If you are then you should definitely try for it but if you're not then I'd wager that the whole process to become an Aussie PR + Citizenship is going to take far longer than whatever remaining steps you have for Canadian citizenship (I assume is just the oath)

americanidiot

Sep 18, 2021
those who cross the boarder illegally seem to be processed with no history or documents in record time.
‘maybe we should all head to the boarder and cross illegally.
This sounds like hearsay, is there actually an instance where someone crossed the border over from the United States illegally managing to navigate all the processes to become a permanent resident and then a citizen?

Reactions: akbardxb

tusharnayyer

May 29, 2013
Oath ceremony is significant event which made me realize that life finally has come full circle after I came here on student visa and now a Canadian citizen. It's a major milestone and I for one greatly appreciated being part of it. That 45 minutes of virtual oath made me nostalgic the struggles I went through and how proud I am to be part of this great country. Not every thing is about convenience or dollar, it's a moment to cherish , let's not brush it away as just another paperwork.

MrChazz

May 4, 2021
Oath ceremony is significant event which made me realize that life finally has come full circle after I came here on student visa and now a Canadian citizen. It's a major milestone and I for one greatly appreciated being part of it. That 45 minutes of virtual oath made me nostalgic the struggles I went through and how proud I am to be part of this great country. Not every thing is about convenience or dollar, it's a moment to cherish , let's not brush it away as just another paperwork.
It certainly seems significant for you. But others do not share the same view, and for them it is "just another paperwork", as you put it. Fortunately, what the minister for immigration has in mind will satisfy all: "just sign" for those who have no use for "just another paperwork", and "celebrate later" for those who are "nostalgic the struggles" (as you put it). Win-win-win.

luvtrump

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2020
It certainly seems significant for you. But others do not share the same view, and for them it is "just another paperwork", as you put it. Fortunately, what the minister for immigration has in mind will satisfy all: "just sign" for those who have no use for "just another paperwork", and "celebrate later" for those who are "nostalgic the struggles" (as you put it). Win-win-win.
question is when do they start doing it or its just another cover up ?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
The sentiment you express is common. It was readily apparent at my own oath ceremony that the majority there were very much into the ceremonial character of the event; as I noted before, my own oath ceremony was a deeply moving experience shared with several dozen people from literally all around the world, whose celebratory excitement and joy was deeply embedded in and expressed throughout the ceremony.

Beyond that, however, the current law requires such a ceremony, and in particular mandates (using the "shall" term) that the ceremony "emphasize the significance of the ceremony as a milestone in the lives of the new citizens," and that the oath be administered "with dignity and solemnity," and that the ceremony also "promote good citizenship, including respect for the law, the exercise of the right to vote, participation in community affairs and intergroup understanding."

That's current law. Regulation 17 which is here: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-93-246/page-2.html#h-952206

It is also current law that adult grant citizenship requires (again using "shall") a person "take the oath of citizenship by swearing or solemnly affirming it before a citizenship judge." Regulation 19, same link.

The Minister may be exploring options to revise the procedure, but as the Minister is well aware (whereas, in contrast, more than a few here appear to not be), the Minister has no authority to unilaterally change the law. Whether the Governor in Council, which in practice means at the least a directive from the Prime Minister, will entertain let alone actually change the law (such as to allow a sort of self-affirmation oath executed in writing), or even amend the Regulations to facilitate a temporary procedure to relieve the backlog, is difficult to predict. The Minister can push for it. But it is not the Minister's decision alone.

And IRCC has NO administrative authority to revise the procedure.

I have not seen any reliable polls, but it is highly unlikely that as many prospective new citizens would elect to forego participating in such a solemn event as some have hyperbolically asserted here (someone claimed 99%). However, to be clear, what is required is not their choice alone, but is what the Canadian government chooses based on what the consensus of ALL Canadians prefer. While my personal sentiments are way away from those in the Conservative party, I am not blind. In both of the last two elections more Canadians voted for a Conservative MP than voted Liberal (even though in both elections the Liberal Party won enough ridings to form the government with the support from the NDP and Green party), and as this week's shake-up in the Conservative party illustrates, even someone as conservative as Erin O'Toole appears to not be conservative enough for those Canadian voters. I do not have a crystal ball and do not predict the future. But one does not need to be a prophet to apprehend the impact the Right is having in Canada. And it is blaring rather loudly on the streets of Ottawa these days.

In any event, some may tout their own views while dismissing yours as significant to "you" . . . but it is far more likely theirs is the fringe view. I have personally seen a large room full of immigrants who emphatically agreed with you. And encountered many, many, many more Canadians who think it is important to impress on new citizens the solemnity and seriousness of taking an oath to Canada. In contrast, in participating in this and other similar forums for more than a decade, I have seen no more than a handful of unruly, typically rude, typically narcissistic, rather often belligerent, dissenters who generally focus on what they want, what is best for them, and fail to see much beyond their own myopia.

MrChazz

May 4, 2021
On of your early posts in this thread said “if you don’t like what he/she wrote, ignore it”

Perhaps time to walk the talk?
No, not yet.

Besides, nowhere did I state a dislike for what he wrote. I simply indicated that it was largely useless fluff, of the sort he is known for, and repeated the helpful suggestion that he do something more fun with his time.

Last edited:

prash42

Jun 1, 2014
Not everything is Liberal vs Conservative, so don't make this about something it's not.

If IRCC holds oath ceremonies a day or week after DM, then I doubt we would be having this conversation. The practical question is this: given IRCC's incompetence through COVID, do people prefer to sign their oath immediately after DM, or wait months for the ceremony along with tens of thousands of others in the same DM boat. And the reasonable answer is, to each their own.

Some couples get married with 300 guests and a plated wedding banquet with a live band, other couples sign a document in City Hall with a friend or two wishing them well. Neither type of wedding tells us much about how much in love either couple is. We should similarly stop judging the Canadianness of a new citizen, based on their preference for the oath.

>what the Canadian government chooses based on what the consensus of ALL Canadians prefer.
For some things, consensus matters more than convenience. For other things, convenience matters more than consensus. Give people a choice whenever possible, that's what a liberal (lower case) democracy should strive for.

The sentiment you express is common. It was readily apparent at my own oath ceremony that the majority there were very much into the ceremonial character of the event; as I noted before, my own oath ceremony was a deeply moving experience shared with several dozen people from literally all around the world, whose celebratory excitement and joy was deeply embedded in and expressed throughout the ceremony.

Beyond that, however, the current law requires such a ceremony, and in particular mandates (using the "shall" term) that the ceremony "emphasize the significance of the ceremony as a milestone in the lives of the new citizens," and that the oath be administered "with dignity and solemnity," and that the ceremony also "promote good citizenship, including respect for the law, the exercise of the right to vote, participation in community affairs and intergroup understanding."

That's current law. Regulation 17 which is here: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-93-246/page-2.html#h-952206

It is also current law that adult grant citizenship requires (again using "shall") a person "take the oath of citizenship by swearing or solemnly affirming it before a citizenship judge." Regulation 19, same link.

The Minister may be exploring options to revise the procedure, but as the Minister is well aware (whereas, in contrast, more than a few here appear to not be), the Minister has no authority to unilaterally change the law. Whether the Governor in Council, which in practice means at the least a directive from the Prime Minister, will entertain let alone actually change the law (such as to allow a sort of self-affirmation oath executed in writing), or even amend the Regulations to facilitate a temporary procedure to relieve the backlog, is difficult to predict. The Minister can push for it. But it is not the Minister's decision alone.

And IRCC has NO administrative authority to revise the procedure.

I have not seen any reliable polls, but it is highly unlikely that as many prospective new citizens would elect to forego participating in such a solemn event as some have hyperbolically asserted here (someone claimed 99%). However, to be clear, what is required is not their choice alone, but is what the Canadian government chooses based on what the consensus of ALL Canadians prefer. While my personal sentiments are way away from those in the Conservative party, I am not blind. In both of the last two elections more Canadians voted for a Conservative MP than voted Liberal (even though in both elections the Liberal Party won enough ridings to form the government with the support from the NDP and Green party), and as this week's shake-up in the Conservative party illustrates, even someone as conservative as Erin O'Toole appears to not be conservative enough for those Canadian voters. I do not have a crystal ball and do not predict the future. But one does not need to be a prophet to apprehend the impact the Right is having in Canada. And it is blaring rather loudly on the streets of Ottawa these days.

In any event, some may tout their own views while dismissing yours as significant to "you" . . . but it is far more likely theirs is the fringe view. I have personally seen a large room full of immigrants who emphatically agreed with you. And encountered many, many, many more Canadians who think it is important to impress on new citizens the solemnity and seriousness of taking an oath to Canada. In contrast, in participating in this and other similar forums for more than a decade, I have seen no more than a handful of unruly, typically rude, typically narcissistic, rather often belligerent, dissenters who generally focus on what they want, what is best for them, and fail to see much beyond their own myopia.

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Not everything is liberal vs conservative, so don't make this about something it's not.

If IRCC holds oath ceremonies a day or week after DM, then I doubt we would be having this conversation. The practical question is this: given IRCC's incompetence through COVID, do people prefer to sign their oath immediately after DM, or wait months for the ceremony along with tens of thousands of others in the same DM boat. And the reasonable answer is, to each their own.

Some couples get married with 300 guests and a plated wedding banquet with a live band, others couples sign a document in City Hall with a friend or two wishing them well. Neither type of wedding tells us much about how much in love either couple is. We should similarly stop judging the Canadianness of a new citizen, based on their preference for the oath.

>what the Canadian government chooses based on what the consensus of ALL Canadians prefer.
For some things, consensus matters more than convenience. For other things, convenience matters more than consensus. Give people a choice whenever possible, that's what a liberal (lower case) democracy should strive for.
I make no effort to state what the law should be.

What the law is, and how it is changed, who can change it, and whose vote counts, dictates how things work and how that can be changed.

It has been decades since I engaged in politics much beyond casting a vote in municipal, provincial, and federal elections, with an occasional exception for particularly local issues (I have done some NIMBY stuff, figuring if those in the neighbourhood do not advocate against bad stuff, and for good stuff, who will).

My participation here focuses on how things work. Not how they should work. Of course how things work includes how changes can be made. And who can make them. Lots of misinformation about this gets repeated here.

Even though I have been here, in Canada, more than two decades now, and a citizen for a third plus of that, I am no arbiter of "Canadianness" and offer no judgments on that score. And will not be baited into that.

That's another strawman stretch in this forum. No one here expressing their view about how significant or important the oath ceremony is, what it means, is judging anyone's "Canadianness." After all, Canadians do not have a monopoly on the principles and values advanced by what the law prescribes regarding the oath ceremony. Not even the affirmation of allegiance to Canada's Queen, who spends very little time in Canada and is far better known as the Queen of other countries, like Great Britain, is particularly Canadian let alone about judging a person's "Canadianness."

I recognize what is unreasonable well enough, and bullying as well. No advanced degrees in sociology or psychology necessary to note the slings and arrows permeating topics like this, rife with ad hominem and unfound aspersions, so casually and frequently cast by the usual suspects.

And, occasionally joined by others.

I've paid more taxes in the past 6 years than the average Canadian would pay in their lifetime.
Perhaps this backhanded derision aimed at Canadians was an exception. That offense (at best vulgar bragging although more likely grossly hyperbolic if not an overt lie -- noting that data analysis shows the average Canadian family spends nearly 39 thousand dollars a year in taxes, which adds up in the course of a "lifetime"), however, was deeply connected with the all too common what's-in-it-for-me approach to weighing the value of living in Canada, with a disproportionate emphasis on monetary advantage. Economics matter, of course. But there is far more to living a good life than what can be read on a balance sheet.

"Not everything is liberal vs conservative, so don't make this about something it's not."​

If you do not recognize the influence the Conservatives have relative to immigration, and how issues like this tend to get blown way out of proportion on that side of the aisle, and so easily become fodder for anti-immigrant agendas, and how this can impact future changes in the law, best I can do is suggest you look at some recent, very recent history . . . like some draconian measures the Liberals repealed following the last Conservative government, such as grant citizenship including an "intent to reside" in Canada requirement, and the provisions allowing the government to revoke citizenship for certain crimes (even if the citizen was born in Canada), the requirement to spend at least four years present in Canada to become a citizen with NO credit for time working in Canada before becoming a PR, and so on and so on. The prospect of a near future Conservative government looms large, and it could very easily be one well to the Right of Stephen Harper, and many of us saw and went through what he did. And are familiar with what pushes their buttons. That side of Canada is real. Serious. And not our friend (at least not the friend of most immigrants).

That said, my point was merely that those expecting a change in the law should recognize the influence the Conservative side of the aisle has and anticipate how that can affect what kind of changes might happen.

MrChazz

May 4, 2021
Indeed.
In any case, polling ALL Canadians to determine what they prefer will take some time. In the meantime, choice seems good.

tusharnayyer

May 29, 2013
The other are small minority or else this forum would have been filled people asking the same. The majority appreciates what opportunities this country gave us and is just not a backdoor to US or making $$. Fortunately none of have the authority to change the protocol, so let's wait and see what happens :)

MrChazz

May 4, 2021
The other are small minority or else this forum would have been filled people asking the same. The majority appreciates what opportunities this country gave us and is just not a backdoor to US or making $$. Fortunately none of have the authority to change the protocol, so let's wait and see what happens :)
Well, the sample here shows more in favour of the choice. Where are even hints of your "majority"?

I too appreciate the opportunities this country has given me. Very much so. Those opportunities include a "backdoor to the US" and "making $$". :)

As to who has the authority to change anything, if you don't mind, I will go with what the minister of immigration (And his expert advisors on such matters) has to say, instead or rants by random punters on random websites.

Reactions: Franko72