+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Scrap the oath ceremony

lingow

Dec 30, 2020
This is welcome news indeed. The oath is such an anachronism. It's the 21st century, people move around, immigration is a transaction, like getting a driver's license from a different province. I've done it once already, immigrating to the US from a third country, now again. Not a big deal, whatever shortens the time and makes it easier is welcome.

scuba ken

Star Member
May 13, 2013
Agree that the citizenship ceremony is a great thing.
but let’s be honest.
the work is getting through the tests, the ceremony is pure pomp and ceremony, I wonder how many would be happy just to sign a declaration and be done with it ?

I am one of those who would say, where do I sign.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Agree that the citizenship ceremony is a great thing.
but let’s be honest.
the work is getting through the tests, the ceremony is pure pomp and ceremony, I wonder how many would be happy just to sign a declaration and be done with it ?

I am one of those who would say, where do I sign.
I‘d hate to just sign a document and be done with it. It’s a big thing to me. My wife and children became citizens in 2020 and it was a big day for us. A celebratory lunch, a few days before covid shut everything down. I am looking forward to the oath myself. It’s been delayed and I hope the big day comes while Canada has a queen and not a king.
I’m a big fan of the pomp and ceremony. Looks great. After spending so much time waiting for this, two hours in a ceremony is totally worth it.

Reactions: CanWin

diljitdosanjh

Star Member
May 5, 2017
I totally agree with you

The person who started thread is being disrespectful. A guy does not even try to adopt Canadian culture and traditions. Soon cry babies will try to cancell test and then BG check and everything.

If somebody does not like something, there are other countries on the planet where there is no oath.
If you have zero tolerance to somebody else’s opinion then perhaps it’s you who is at odds with Canadian values!

diljitdosanjh

Star Member
May 5, 2017
I can pretty much guarantee that if given the option to sign and be done with or wait 6 months for the oath ceremony, 99% would just sign. Sure there will always be the fringe 1% who are the exception to the rule but good for them. I personally feel waiting 6 months for a pathetic ceremony is not worth it. But whatever rocks your boat!

scuba ken

Star Member
May 13, 2013
I‘d hate to just sign a document and be done with it. It’s a big thing to me. My wife and children became citizens in 2020 and it was a big day for us. A celebratory lunch, a few days before covid shut everything down. I am looking forward to the oath myself. It’s been delayed and I hope the big day comes while Canada has a queen and not a king.
I’m a big fan of the pomp and ceremony. Looks great. After spending so much time waiting for this, two hours in a ceremony is totally worth it.
and this is your choice, unfortunately, I am of the other opinion, but respect your position too.
I want to visit my 80 year old mother in the uk, I haven’t been able to travel due to Covid, now I can, but cannot because of waiting for the oath ceremony.

‘’in the meanwhile , I fear my mother will pass, and I won’t have the opportunity to say goodbye and tell her I love her.

marika89

Star Member
Apr 26, 2021
and this is your choice, unfortunately, I am of the other opinion, but respect your position too.
I want to visit my 80 year old mother in the uk, I haven’t been able to travel due to Covid, now I can, but cannot because of waiting for the oath ceremony.

‘’in the meanwhile , I fear my mother will pass, and I won’t have the opportunity to say goodbye and tell her I love her.
Everyone has their priorities. My priority would be family first, and that is why I rescheduled my oath. I would never forgive myself if I didn't go see my grandmother/someone else for the last time just to attend any kind of ceremony. Those can be moved to further date.

Gondal27

Star Member
Feb 1, 2020
You need to be in Canada to take the Oath of Citizenship. If you get your invitation while you’re outside Canada, reply to the invitation email to explain your situation in detail.

In your email

• put “Outside Canada – Oath of Citizenship” in the subject line
  • In the body of your message, include
    • your full name
    • your application number
    • a detailed explanation of your situation
We’ll contact you with your next steps after we receive your email.
It means IRCC is allowing the oath from outside?

americanidiot

Sep 18, 2021

Agreed, the argument here is about choice. FWIW IRCC will reschedule your oath if you tell them that you won't be able to make it

luvtrump

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2020
i couldn’t deal with another push back, it’s been almost 5 years now.
might apply to Australia, the weather is better
my sis in Australia is already a citizen while i wait here in this land for application withdrawal. I have never in my life seen such a broken system

Reactions: scuba ken