+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Schooling in ON for 10th grader

SunAg

Feb 1, 2011
Hi,
We are moving to Toronto in May-2011. My daughters completed 9th and 6th grades in India (ICSE board). Would like to know..

a. Do they need to take any English test for school admission in Toronto? They are US citizens but lived and studied in India for past 6 years (medium of instructions was English)

b. For 10th grader, will there be any difficulty in obtaining school-admission in Ontario? I understand there are credit points to be obtained in 4 years, but she will start the school from 10th grade. How do they treat students joining Canadian schools in the middle of 9-12 grades?

c. can you please suggest if kids should take any local courses till the time schools reopen (during Jun-Aug time)

d. Since I will be travelling between Markham and Mississauga, we are planning to live somewhere between these two locations (may be, along hwy 401). Can someone please suggest any good locality for (a) good school (b) hwy access (c) quality/cost of housing.

Will very much appreciate inputs.

Regards,

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Admissions & Registration

Every child who lives in Toronto is welcome to attend a TDSB school. You can register at any time during the school year.

Parents of students aged 4 to 13 can register directly at their neighbourhood school by bringing the following items:

* Proof of age (such as a birth certificate or passport)
* Proof of home address (such as purchase or lease agreement or a utility bill showing name and address)
* Proof of custody (where applicable)

Children Without Immigration Status

Children not born in Canada who are living in Toronto without Canadian immigration status are welcome and eligible to attend TDSB schools without payment of admission fees. Any document which verifies the student's legal name, date of birth, home address, custody papers where applicable, and date of entry to Canada ( required for ESL funding purposes), is acceptable for TDSB school registration. A passport ( travel document) may be used to verify the student's name, date of birth and date of entry to Canada, in the absence of an immigration document or birth certificate. Where there is no official document to verify the required information, the TDSB accepts written signed letters of confirmation of the student's information from lawyers, notary publics, medical doctors, or other persons of recognized standing in the Toronto community.

For more information

* visit the International Programs and Admissions office at 5050 Yonge Street
* call 416-395-8109 or 416-395-9618
* e-mail admissions @ tdsb.on.ca

Housing link:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/where-to-stay-in-mississauga-t69943.0.html;msg731564#msg731564

Canadian Career Coach

Star Member
Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are excellent schools in both the Markham and Mississauga area, so I would decide where you want to live first. Depending on where you settle, your children will be in a certain boundary/area that says their designated school is 'X' and they will attend that school, sometimes there is more than one school in the local area they are eligible to attend.

Markham to Mississsuga is a fair distance (which many commuters do daily), so again I would pick an area you prefer if you have any personal preference. Anything close to the 401 will usually be higher rent/cost, but the convenience sometimes outweighs the costs.