+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Schooling for PR

Roddy88

Dec 10, 2017
Is going to school in Canada a good way to get PR in Canada im a US citizen, im doubt I have anything currently that would help me immigrate there but if I were to attend a college there would that help me obtain PR any easier? Im considering sports marketing, is there a list I can find that would help m

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Studying in Canada does not guarantee PR or automatically allow you to apply for PR. Studying in Canada can allow you to qualify for a post graduate work permit after you complete your studies. Working in Canada after you study can make it easier to apply for PR. You will want to research the Express Entry program and also Canadian Experience Class program. If you end up studying in Canada, make sure you attend a university or public college (not private) and make sure you take a program that is at least two years in length so that you qualify for a three year work permit afterwards.

Reactions: Roddy88
R

rish888

Do note that studying in the Province of Quebec (Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate, and some vocational degrees guarantees Permanent Resident status (assuming you can pass the background/criminal record check, medical check, and have the minimum required funds of around CA$15k liquid.)

There is one caveat:

In your time in Quebec you need to learn spoken French fluently.

After you get PR you can get citizenship in 2 years. (The requirement is 3, but 1 year of your study time in counted towards citizenship days.)

Roddy88

Dec 10, 2017
I was thinking of B.C. I do not know French or much about immigration to Quebec other then it has different rules than the rest of Canada. If I took French classes while in school at Quebec would it be easier to immigrate than B.C.?

Roddy88

Dec 10, 2017
Also im under the impression that in B.C. the time I spend in school doesn't count towards PR, only time im out of school and working with my working permit does is that true?

R

rish888

I'm not sure with BC rules. I know Quebec is the only province with guaranteed PR for students.

It doesn't matter is you take French classes or not, all you need to do is pass a French standardized exam. (They recognize quite a few.)

Quebec PR is a two stage thing, and all grades are on a pass/fail basis.

Step 1: Quebec Authorization/Invitation

Requirements:

Degree from a Quebec University
Proven competency in oral French to an advanced intermediate (European B1 level.) (Ex: Delf B1 min score of 16/25)

Step 2: Federal Government Authorization/Granting of PR

Requirements:

Invitation from Quebec.
Successful Background Check from Canada and every country you have lived more than 6 months since turning 18.
Successful Medical check.
You have the minimum required funds of around $15,000 Canadian.

As mentioned above all these requirements are graded on a pass fail basis, and if you meet all of them then you get PR.

Overall, as an international student Quebec has the easiest immigration scheme if you're willing to learn French.

R

rish888

Also Quebec has some wonderful English universities. In fact McGill, which routinely ranks #1 or #2 in Canada is located in Montreal, Quebec

Roddy88

Dec 10, 2017
Ok learning French really isn't a problem. If PR is a guaranty im guessing I have to wait untill I've finished school. And is university a requirement I was considering just going to a regular collage?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Also im under the impression that in B.C. the time I spend in school doesn't count towards PR, only time im out of school and working with my working permit does is that true?
That is true of all Canadian immigration programs (not just BC). Any work you do during your studies cannot be counted as work experience towards applying for PR.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Ok learning French really isn't a problem. If PR is a guaranty im guessing I have to wait untill I've finished school. And is university a requirement I was considering just going to a regular collage?
This is not a good idea. I got my PR through Quebec Skilled Worker program. It's slow and unpredictable. Learning french is not a piece of cake. It takes multiple years to get B2 level required for PEQ ( program where Students can apply without job).

If you are doing it just for PR, then go to some good Canadian university and get a job. Once you qualify Express Entry, it will take you less than 6 months to get PR.

Reactions: scylla
R

rish888

This is not a good idea. I got my PR through Quebec Skilled Worker program. It's slow and unpredictable. Learning french is not a piece of cake. It takes multiple years to get B2 level required for PEQ ( program where Students can apply without job).

If you are doing it just for PR, then go to some good Canadian university and get a job. Once you qualify Express Entry, it will take you less than 6 months to get PR.
I was under the impression that federal processing for Quebec immigrants takes 14 months? According to MIDI the CSQ comes in about a month.

Counting the 1 year work experience the OP will need after uni, the time it will take to get an ITA, then the 6 months processing (at least 18 months after graduation before PR) the 14 months it takes to process PR for Quebec immigrants seems to be quicker. (Of course I am assuming CIC will stick to their average processing time.)

The French aspect is something to consider. Depends on your knack for languages I guess, though it is definitely doable considering they only look a the oral component and only require 16/25. A friend of mine got to C1 after just a year in Switzerland with no prior background in the language.

Of course studying in Quebec doesn't mean one can only use PEQ to get PR. The OP can still elect to go through the federal scheme if he wants. IMO a Quebec degree puts another option on the table, with the added benefits of getting a Francophone experience and the low cost of living etc.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Wouldn't call the Quebec government the most efficient for sure so take any posted times with a grain of salt. McGill is a great university but doesn't rank as high anymore. You and your friends are teenagers and already multlingual so adapting to a new language is probably much easier than other people. Many people struggle to pick up French especially if they are studying and might also be working part-time.

R

rish888

Wouldn't call the Quebec government the most efficient for sure so take any posted times with a grain of salt. McGill is a great university but doesn't rank as high anymore. You and your friends are teenagers and already multlingual so adapting to a new language is probably much easier than other people. Many people struggle to pick up French especially if they are studying and might also be working part-time.
Agreed that French is not the easiest language to learn. Just laying out the choices for the OP.