+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

School for minor

tweetbr24

Star Member
Oct 2, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can a child attend school if he or she is not yet a PR holder? I know in the US they are accepted is it the same in canada... since no child under 18yrs should be rejected?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
tweetbr24 said:
Can a child attend school if he or she is not yet a PR holder? I know in the US they are accepted is it the same in canada... since no child under 18yrs should be rejected?
Yes - but they may require a study permit to do so and have to pay international student fees (e.g. if they and their parents are visitors to Canada then the student will need to obtain a study permit and pay annual fees in order to attend public school).

shequote

Jan 7, 2018
Michigan, USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
21-03-2018
AOR Received.
30-04-2018
Hello. I am a US citizen applying for PR for my child and I to live with my husband (Canadian citizen). Has anyone had any experience enrolling a minor in school in Ontario while waiting for PR? The Ontario educational website states that all children ages 6-18 are allowed to get education regardless of immigration status and status of their parents, however other threads on this forum have stated children were denied when their status was "visitor".....?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello. I am a US citizen applying for PR for my child and I to live with my husband (Canadian citizen). Has anyone had any experience enrolling a minor in school in Ontario while waiting for PR? The Ontario educational website states that all children ages 6-18 are allowed to get education regardless of immigration status and status of their parents, however other threads on this forum have stated children were denied when their status was "visitor".....?
Hi

Education falls under the provincial umbrella. While Ontario has a policy allowing children to study regardless of status, as far as I know, no other province has a similar policy.

In your situation where the child has a Canadian step-parent and is being sponsored, schools in any province generally do not have an issue enrolling a child.

Reactions: shequote