+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

School Admissions -- Read all about it here >>>

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello all great post here and many questions. I read through it all, but wanted to ask since the original post is from 2011:

My son's birthday is Oct 2010. In US, he goes to 2nd grade because Aug 31st is the age cutoff for a grade. We are moving to Toronto ON in a couple of months. Will they expect him to join 3rd grade right now and 4th grade in September?
Given he is currently in grade two and US schools are similar to Canadian they will likely discuss keeping him in his current grade because it would be best for him.

Reactions: phoenixsong

Tosin John

Jun 6, 2018
Thanks for the info. I gained a lot.
However, I still have a question : We plan to land in Ottawa by March 1st 2019, my children's ages will be 12 (by Jan 22, 2019 birthday), 10 (Jan 28, 2019 birthday) and 7 ( by Feb 18, 2019 birthday). Will they be placed in 12-13, 10-11 and 7-8 age bracket classes i.e Grade 7, Grade 5 and Grade 2 respectively? Or will they be placed in 11-12, 9-10 and 6-7 age bracket classes i.e Grade 6, Grade 4 and Grade 1 respectively because they will be having their birthdays early this year.

Kindly assist urgently as my kids are really anxious to know the classes they will be placed in.
Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the info. I gained a lot.
However, I still have a question : We plan to land in Ottawa by March 1st 2019, my children's ages will be 12 (by Jan 22, 2019 birthday), 10 (Jan 28, 2019 birthday) and 7 ( by Feb 18, 2019 birthday). Will they be placed in 12-13, 10-11 and 7-8 age bracket classes i.e Grade 7, Grade 5 and Grade 2 respectively? Or will they be placed in 11-12, 9-10 and 6-7 age bracket classes i.e Grade 6, Grade 4 and Grade 1 respectively because they will be having their birthdays early this year.

Kindly assist urgently as my kids are really anxious to know the classes they will be placed in.
Thanks.
You will have a discussion with the local school administrator. Given that they are coming from a similar program in the US they will likely be placed in the same grade they are currently in. You can have a discussion with the school. The ages are somewhat flexible.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am hoping for the same... Thank you for answering!
Not sure why there should be an issue. The only time there is an issue is for some September to December babies because some schools measure age by September 1st and some do January 1st. January and February babies should be in the same grade regardless.

Contactnisha

Jul 15, 2017
Hello..
I have a question::
We are moving to Toronto in February 2019 from India, which will be before the annual exams, that is to be held in the last week of March.
Now , my son is 11yrs 5 months old and he has obtained a transfer certificate that states he was enrolled in 6th standard but course not completed...
So this means he has to repeat 6th again ? He will turn 12yrs in july.
I am quite anxious...kindly advise.

Also does indian TC require the counter sign of DEO?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello..
I have a question::
We are moving to Toronto in February 2019 from India, which will be before the annual exams, that is to be held in the last week of March.
Now , my son is 11yrs 5 months old and he has obtained a transfer certificate that states he was enrolled in 6th standard but course not completed...
So this means he has to repeat 6th again ? He will turn 12yrs in july.
I am quite anxious...kindly advise.

Also does indian TC require the counter sign of DEO?
The education system is different in Canada and I would imagine he will continue the 6th grade when he arrives in Toronto. You will have to select what type of public schooling you want catholic or secular and English or French immersion. Then you will have to register in the school based on your address. Registering for school will be quite an easy process given that your son speaks and writes in English already. There aren't any entrance exams or tests. You will need proof of your address from a lease or property deed.

Vikyad

Feb 11, 2019
Hi , I m new to this thread . Just would like to have guidance from the experienced members .I plan to shift to Ontario in May-19.

When can in enrol my kids to school , can it be done in June-19 for the session starting in September 19 or it can be done only in Aug -19?

anuch2588

Star Member
Nov 15, 2017
Hi all,

Thank you for all the valuable inputs.
I am moving to Vancouver British Columbia in the month of July. My child is turning 5 on September 25 2019. My query is Will she be eligible for kindergarten for this year. If yes, what's the process. And if no what are the other options except day-care

Prasadtaral

Jun 21, 2019
Hello,
I have a question. My daughter completed Grade 10 in india and we will be landing this year end. So for Grade 11 as per her age what documents Canadian school require and what will be the process? For university admission what will be the process? Will they consider as international student or resident of Canada?
Will appreciate your reply. Thanks in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,

Thank you for all the valuable inputs.
I am moving to Vancouver British Columbia in the month of July. My child is turning 5 on September 25 2019. My query is Will she be eligible for kindergarten for this year. If yes, what's the process. And if no what are the other options except day-care
Google the local school district all the information will be there.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,
I have a question. My daughter completed Grade 10 in india and we will be landing this year end. So for Grade 11 as per her age what documents Canadian school require and what will be the process? For university admission what will be the process? Will they consider as international student or resident of Canada?
Will appreciate your reply. Thanks in advance.
Google the local school district. You will have to arrange for her transcripts to be available for university admissions but your child is certainly not the first child to complete their last year of high school in a new country. I assume she will have to meet with the school to make sure she takes the right classes to have the right prerequisites for university. Her status/your status will determine whether she is an international student or domestic student.

aly62

Aug 9, 2019
My daughter born in 2004 just finished Grade 10 in California, we are moving to Ontario and they told us because of her age (age to grade rule) she needs to repeat Grade 10?? Is there exception to this rule? Catholic Boards? Private School? Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My daughter born in 2004 just finished Grade 10 in California, we are moving to Ontario and they told us because of her age (age to grade rule) she needs to repeat Grade 10?? Is there exception to this rule? Catholic Boards? Private School? Thanks
It is up to the school board. In private education you have a lot more say. It also costs significantly more.