+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Scared about being rejected

_TK_

Feb 28, 2016
Hello, I'm american and my wife is canadian. I've known her since 2007 we met online...actually on the playstation 3 (weird place eh?) well it evolved into getting married. We first met in person in 2011 and we got married in 2015. I'm worried about a few things that might get me rejected. We go this grand idea in the end months on 2012 to just drive up to canada and i stay at her house for 6 months. Well lets just say the officer didn't think i would be coming back due to all the stuff in my vehicle...well we went back the day after to try again with a new officer ( I drove 1,500 miles) Well he rejected me also. I've visited my wife 3 times. Every time I get taken into secondary and interviewed you know to see my returning ticket etc. (i flew never drove after the first attempt). I fly into a small little airport so the customs lady knows me and my wife because she flys out of the same airport. She's nice she said that in the system i'm flagged so i will always be in secondary. However it shouldn't effect me when immigrating (she used to do the immigration papers). Do you guys think that's the case? Or is she trying to make me feel better.

I'm also worried that I won't have enough forms of contact. I don't have any from when we first started talking. The email address is lost/phone is broken/ also the messages on the playstation have been deleted for along time. But i do have SOME call records in 2013/2014/2015 for her house phone. I also started backing up all our text messages with a app I printed out all 100 pages of that goes from 2013-current (will they see that as usable?). I have her cell phone call records that go back 6 months from her carrier. I use a prepaid carrier basically the only way to get logs for it is if the courts request them. I also have shipping slips/ receipts for stuff i ordered for her and had shipped to her from ebay/amazon/etc. Also have her plane tickets / itineraries also have mine.

Unno why i'm so worried I just haven't had the best luck with customs due to my stupid mistakes in the past with them.

Also if anyone could tell me if the text messages backed up are usable. Sorry for the jumpy post.

ConfusedCouple

Star Member
May 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 29 2015
AOR Received.
Feb 20 2016
File Transfer...
Mar 01 2016
Hey,

I've have had terrible luck with customs in the beginning myself. We were really new and ignorant to the whole visiting/immigration thing.

How I organized my proofs is I made them into a timeline from the month we started dating to present. I myself lost many chat logs, etc from the beginning and so for those months I explained to them my computer crashed and I lost everything. Things happen.

There's a section in the application that asks you to list off the things you have done since you were 18 or something and for every time I was refused admission to Canada I explained to them the reason why I was refuse and acknowledge that I didn't have any clue about how the immigration process worked. For any months where I was missing proofs I provided anything that could indicate we were in each other's lives, even providing screenshots of Facebook statuses of where I mentioned my husband (then BF).

Despite of having very crappy luck with customs once I got married, I visited my H and was given a 2 years Visitor's Record. They changed their attitudes towards me (became friendly, not hostile).

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Sounds like you have plenty of proof so far. Your immigration officer is correct, your border troubles won't affect your PR application. Many people here are Americans who are flagged due to similar reasons. My husband was one and he had no trouble at all getting PR.

It's pretty common nowadays for people to meet online, in games or forums. My spouse and I met in WoW.

Remember you are American, so the barrier for immigration is a lot lower than many other countries.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
ConfusedCouple said:
Hey,

Despite of having very crappy luck with customs once I got married, I visited my H and was given a 2 years Visitor's Record. They changed their attitudes towards me (became friendly, not hostile).
customs are much friendlier when you understand what they want and do what they want and have a pr application in process. trouble at the border does not necessarily negatively affect a pr application. cbsa and cic are different entities. while they share information they also have different thresholds for refusing entry. being refused entry or red flagged at the border doesn't mean cic won't grant you pr status. the fact you know to apply for pr and not try to skirt the system shows you understand the rules.

as a us citizen it's really not necessary to overload the application with 100s or 1000s of items for proof of relationship so stop stressing. you have been in a relationship for 5 years. i'm assuming you can prove other people in your lives know of eachother and actually have met each of you and if you are married you can prove you've comingled your life and acted as a married couple the best you can while living apart. don't get worked up about how much proof you have. they want quality over quantity.

beast2000

Aug 26, 2014
CDNPR2014 said:
customs are much friendlier when you understand what they want and do what they want and have a pr application in process. trouble at the border does not necessarily negatively affect a pr application. cbsa and cic are different entities. while they share information they also have different thresholds for refusing entry. being refused entry or red flagged at the border doesn't mean cic won't grant you pr status. the fact you know to apply for pr and not try to skirt the system shows you understand the rules.

as a us citizen it's really not necessary to overload the application with 100s or 1000s of items for proof of relationship so stop stressing. you have been in a relationship for 5 years. i'm assuming you can prove other people in your lives know of eachother and actually have met each of you and if you are married you can prove you've comingled your life and acted as a married couple the best you can while living apart. don't get worked up about how much proof you have. they want quality over quantity.
\\\

They are all correct. Just do not over due it. It will be ok!

Snowisland

Nov 23, 2014
Visa Office......
Ottawa
LANDED..........
30-05-2016
_TK_ said:
Hello, I'm american and my wife is canadian. I've known her since 2007 we met online...actually on the playstation 3 (weird place eh?) well it evolved into getting married. We first met in person in 2011 and we got married in 2015. I'm worried about a few things that might get me rejected. We go this grand idea in the end months on 2012 to just drive up to canada and i stay at her house for 6 months. Well lets just say the officer didn't think i would be coming back due to all the stuff in my vehicle...well we went back the day after to try again with a new officer ( I drove 1,500 miles) Well he rejected me also. I've visited my wife 3 times. Every time I get taken into secondary and interviewed you know to see my returning ticket etc. (i flew never drove after the first attempt). I fly into a small little airport so the customs lady knows me and my wife because she flys out of the same airport. She's nice she said that in the system i'm flagged so i will always be in secondary. However it shouldn't effect me when immigrating (she used to do the immigration papers). Do you guys think that's the case? Or is she trying to make me feel better.

I'm also worried that I won't have enough forms of contact. I don't have any from when we first started talking. The email address is lost/phone is broken/ also the messages on the playstation have been deleted for along time. But i do have SOME call records in 2013/2014/2015 for her house phone. I also started backing up all our text messages with a app I printed out all 100 pages of that goes from 2013-current (will they see that as usable?). I have her cell phone call records that go back 6 months from her carrier. I use a prepaid carrier basically the only way to get logs for it is if the courts request them. I also have shipping slips/ receipts for stuff i ordered for her and had shipped to her from ebay/amazon/etc. Also have her plane tickets / itineraries also have mine.

Unno why i'm so worried I just haven't had the best luck with customs due to my stupid mistakes in the past with them.

Also if anyone could tell me if the text messages backed up are usable. Sorry for the jumpy post.
I also met my husband playing a game online. In 2012. Married 2014. Applied for PR October 2015 and dot Decision Made February 2016. The first time he came to see me he was pulled to secondary and missed his next flight. He hadn't travelled in ten years and had just his carry on bag and laptop and that is what he was questioned about. They called me to ask if he was coming to visit for two weeks and I confirmed and they got him a seat on a flight four hours later.

We went back and forth every three months for visits of a few weeks. This current visit I am in Canada for six months and I was pulled to secondary. I only had carry on. But I had mailed some thing to his house a few weeks before. They just asked me a few questions and let me go.

As far as your application, mine was 111 pages total, including proof of relationship. I printed one page of cell phone bill showing how many minutes or calls to husbands number. A few emails from his parents and my work friends. Sent boarding passes and itinerary of trips. Screenshot of Facebook announcement of our marriage.

Shineon39

Dec 3, 2015
Yellowknife, Northwest territories
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Singapore
App. Filed.......
22-10-2015
Nomination.....
Csq received 26-01-2016
AOR Received.
11-12-2015 AOR2: 07-01-2016
File Transfer...
17-12-2015
Med's Done....
10-09-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2016
LANDED..........
02-09-2016
Welcome to our world lol, I think that almost everybody are scare to get their application rejected at the beginning. I was and sometime I still have my moment of doubt lol.
But I think you'll be good, 5 years relation between canadian and american should be piece of cake ;) ;) ;)

Good Luck

_TK_

Feb 28, 2016
Shineon39 said:
Welcome to our world lol, I think that almost everybody are scare to get their application rejected at the beginning. I was and sometime I still have my moment of doubt lol.
But I think you'll be good, 5 years relation between canadian and american should be piece of cake ;) ;) ;)

Good Luck
Is your's currently under review? If so how long ago did you send it in? The website says 39 days and I hope that's the case :D Because I don't think i'll be able to take any more than 39 days without having a mental breakdown lol.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
_TK_ said:
Is your's currently under review? If so how long ago did you send it in? The website says 39 days and I hope that's the case :D Because I don't think i'll be able to take any more than 39 days without having a mental breakdown lol.
39 days for what? I'm not sure what you are looking at, but it's not outland sponsorship. Sponsor approval takes about 2 months (known as "SA" here) and that's only the first part. The PR part of the application time varies even more. The shortest I've seen is 3 months and 15 days, the longest 19 months for a US applicant due to bad luck delays or criminality issues. The average is probably about 6 months to 9 months from start to finish.

These times are for US applicants at the Ottawa VO. You can't compare times with people from other countries and VO's.

beast2000

Aug 26, 2014
Snowisland said:
I also met my husband playing a game online. In 2012. Married 2014. Applied for PR October 2015 and dot Decision Made February 2016. The first time he came to see me he was pulled to secondary and missed his next flight. He hadn't travelled in ten years and had just his carry on bag and laptop and that is what he was questioned about. They called me to ask if he was coming to visit for two weeks and I confirmed and they got him a seat on a flight four hours later.

We went back and forth every three months for visits of a few weeks. This current visit I am in Canada for six months and I was pulled to secondary. I only had carry on. But I had mailed some thing to his house a few weeks before. They just asked me a few questions and let me go.

As far as your application, mine was 111 pages total, including proof of relationship. I printed one page of cell phone bill showing how many minutes or calls to husbands number. A few emails from his parents and my work friends. Sent boarding passes and itinerary of trips. Screenshot of Facebook announcement of our marriage.
What game?

ayrazar

Jul 2, 2015
Aquakitty said:
Sounds like you have plenty of proof so far. Your immigration officer is correct, your border troubles won't affect your PR application. Many people here are Americans who are flagged due to similar reasons. My husband was one and he had no trouble at all getting PR.

It's pretty common nowadays for people to meet online, in games or forums. My spouse and I met in WoW.

Remember you are American, so the barrier for immigration is a lot lower than many other countries.
WoW Relationships uniteeee

Honestly though yeah. Border Services and Immigration work hand in hand, but it won't affect your PR stuff. My husband was flagged, I had a nice bout of anxiety, and next time we tried to enter Canada we got the full 6mo without issue. So no worries!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You'll be fine. The proof you mentioned is all good. I would not send in all of the text messages - choose a few from different years and send them, stating that you have 100 pages more if the visa officer wants to see them.