+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Scarborough -DM-Oath

Poshy

Star Member
Feb 24, 2018
Road trip to the states, so the certificate will suffice over the land borders. I'll probably go straight from the ceremony to the airport to update NEXUS. At least, I'm assuming that I can update with the certificate first and then with the passport when I get it.
Hi
From what I know, you cannot cross the border, even to & from the US without a passport. All that changed after 9/11.
I wouldn’t chance it.
You can apply for an urgent passport which you get the same day, as long as you pay $110 extra. Or a passport between 2-9 days, where you’ll pay $60 extra.
Don’t try traveling without your Canadian passport. Also, you can’t enter Canada with any other passport once you become Canadian

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Hi
From what I know, you cannot cross the border, even to & from the US without a passport. All that changed after 9/11.
I wouldn’t chance it.
You can apply for an urgent passport which you get the same day, as long as you pay $110 extra. Or a passport between 2-9 days, where you’ll pay $60 extra.
Don’t try traveling without your Canadian passport. Also, you can’t enter Canada with any other passport once you become Canadian
Crossing the land border is fine without a passport. Citizenship certificate will suffice there.

Reactions: Sezar_Canada

ahasan

Star Member
Mar 8, 2011
Saudi Arabia
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2007
Med's Done....
14-07-2010
Passport Req..
08-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-01-2011
LANDED..........
May/June 2011

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Dual citizens are required to use Canadian passport to enter Canada and US passport to enter US.
Dual citizens are required to use an appropriate travel document for their respective countries. As a US citizen, I use my passport to enter the US. When travelling back to Canada as a Canadian citizen over a land border, I will be able to use my certificate. If traveling by air, a passport would be required.

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
Acceptable documents to denote identity and/or citizenship (for residents)

You should carry a valid Canadian passport for all visits abroad, including visits to the United States (U.S.). A passport may be required by your airline or alternative transportation authority, as it is the only universally-accepted identification document, and it proves that you have a right to return to Canada.
Upon arrival at a Canadian port of entry, travellers must satisfy a CBSA border services officer (BSO) that they meet the requirements for entry into Canada. For Canadian citizens, permanent residents and Registered Indians under the Indian Act, this can be done through questioning and through verifying documentation such as a Canadian passport, a Canadian birth certificate, a permanent residence card, a citizenship card, or a Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS) card.
If you do not have a passport, and are returning to Canada, the following documents can denote identity and/or citizenship:
NEXUS card, held by a Canadian citizen, when entering Canada by air (when coming from the U.S.), land, or marine modes
FAST card (Free and Secure Trade), issued to a Canadian citizen (when arriving by land or marine modes only)
Canadian Emergency Travel Document
Canadian Temporary Passport
Certificate of Canadian Citizenship (issued from 1954 to present)
Enhanced Driver's License issued by a Canadian province or territory
Enhanced Identification/Photo Card issued by a Canadian province or territory

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html

aaamr

Star Member
Oct 14, 2017
Acceptable documents to denote identity and/or citizenship (for residents)

You should carry a valid Canadian passport for all visits abroad, including visits to the United States (U.S.). A passport may be required by your airline or alternative transportation authority, as it is the only universally-accepted identification document, and it proves that you have a right to return to Canada.
Upon arrival at a Canadian port of entry, travellers must satisfy a CBSA border services officer (BSO) that they meet the requirements for entry into Canada. For Canadian citizens, permanent residents and Registered Indians under the Indian Act, this can be done through questioning and through verifying documentation such as a Canadian passport, a Canadian birth certificate, a permanent residence card, a citizenship card, or a Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS) card.
If you do not have a passport, and are returning to Canada, the following documents can denote identity and/or citizenship:
NEXUS card, held by a Canadian citizen, when entering Canada by air (when coming from the U.S.), land, or marine modes
FAST card (Free and Secure Trade), issued to a Canadian citizen (when arriving by land or marine modes only)
Canadian Emergency Travel Document
Canadian Temporary Passport
Certificate of Canadian Citizenship (issued from 1954 to present)
Enhanced Driver's License issued by a Canadian province or territory
Enhanced Identification/Photo Card issued by a Canadian province or territory

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html

Yep... this all makes sense.

I will have a bit of a scramble to obtain my Canadian passport. My oath is July 1... two business days means I cannot apply until Thursday, and I am travelling to the US the following Monday!

Expedited processing ($$$) here I come!

-A.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Yep... this all makes sense.

I will have a bit of a scramble to obtain my Canadian passport. My oath is July 1... two business days means I cannot apply until Thursday, and I am travelling to the US the following Monday!

Expedited processing ($$$) here I come!

-A.
If you're flying, it's a good idea. There have been plenty of anecdotal cases where dual US/CDN citizens successfully used their US passport to board the plane and then NEXUS and/or certificate at customs, but it can certainly lead to some trouble, especially if the gate agents know what they are looking for. If you're driving, as noted in Joshua1's link, the certificate is sufficient to return to canada.

aaamr

Star Member
Oct 14, 2017
If you're flying, it's a good idea. There have been plenty of anecdotal cases where dual US/CDN citizens successfully used their US passport to board the plane and then NEXUS and/or certificate at customs, but it can certainly lead to some trouble, especially if the gate agents know what they are looking for. If you're driving, as noted in Joshua1's link, the certificate is sufficient to return to canada.
Yes, I do have Nexus, and have rarely been asked for my PR card when boarding in the US, but better safe than sorry.

A.

aaamr

Star Member
Oct 14, 2017
Well, I have seem to have an abundance of oath invites now:

1. We sent you a notice on June 9, 2018 to appear and take the oath of citizenship at the citizenship ceremony to be held on July 1, 2018 at 12:30 PM. The notice you will receive will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.
    *Note: Citizenship and Immigration Canada does sometimes schedule events on Saturdays or Sundays.

2. We sent you a notice on June 15, 2018 to appear and take the oath of citizenship at the citizenship ceremony to be held on July 6, 2018 at 10:00 AM. The notice you will receive will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.

Guess I will call them and find out what's what.

A.