+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Savings as proof of income

marieinmexico

Mar 8, 2017
Good day all,

Regarding proof of income, we just moved back to Canada and my Canadian husband (sponsor) is a self-employed visual artist. It will take some time (years) before he can demonstrate a reliable source of income. Until he earns money, our plan is to live off of our savings, as we just sold our principle residence abroad. It is enough that we could live off of for say, 10+ years if necessary. Can I show one bank statement, showing this amount as proof of income? Some other posters have provided 12 months of bank statements which I don't have, so I am feeling doubtful.

Thanks for any advice!

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
There is no requirement to earn any certain amount of income and no minimum income requirement for spousal sponsorship.

If you are applying for spousal sponsorship......it’s not mandatory the sponsor must be working in Canada to sponsor their spouse…..your self self-employed husband should provide documentation, detailed explanation and plan on how he would financially support himself and his family (spouse and any dependent children).......refer..…checklist….”Employment/Source of Income”.

The financial documentation may include the document of the sale of your asset and the savings from the sale (Canadian bank statement), any financial investments, current source of income (self-employed visual artist), employment potential, etc to support your sponsorship application.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Good day all,

Regarding proof of income, we just moved back to Canada and my Canadian husband (sponsor) is a self-employed visual artist. It will take some time (years) before he can demonstrate a reliable source of income. Until he earns money, our plan is to live off of our savings, as we just sold our principle residence abroad. It is enough that we could live off of for say, 10+ years if necessary. Can I show one bank statement, showing this amount as proof of income? Some other posters have provided 12 months of bank statements which I don't have, so I am feeling doubtful.

Thanks for any advice!
Yes, that's fine. 12 months of bank statements is not a requirement.

tsdhaliwal

Sep 25, 2019
Hi,
I am sponsoring my spouse who currently lives in india. I became PR in june 2022 and was working there till november(5 months approx). I have offer letter and salary slips. Currently i am not working as i came to india in december to get married. Now i'm trying to sponsor my spouse but don't have a job. I don't have much savings but i can show savings and affidavit from my parents. I am confident of finding a job within a month when i go back to canada.
How should i go about with source of income? Can anyone help?