greenish

Star Member
Sep 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Would the following be an adquate letter from a friend helping to prove a genuine relationship? Is it long enough? Should it be more specific about activities we have done together? Any input is appreciated :)

To whom it may concern:

I am a friend of xxxxx(you). We first met when we started attending the same program at college in September 2009.
At the time we met, xxxxx(you) had already been dating xxxxx(your partner). I met xxxxx(partner) a few weeks after meeting xxxxx(you) when she came to visit xxxxx(you) at our school.
Since the time I met both of them for the first time, I helped them move twice, visited their home several times and we went out together from time to time.
After knowing both, xxxxx(you) and xxxxx(partner), for a little more than 2 years now, I sincerely believe that they have a deep relationship in which one depends on the other.

Friend Name, date

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
It could be more specific (what college, more dates/specifics, etc) but it actually covers all the things I think need to be said except for one. If, when the friend helped you move you were actually living with your partner I think the letter should say so in obvious unequivocal terms.

Something like ..."I know they began living together in (date), and I helped "your name" and "your partner's name" move to their new residence at (location) in (date) and then again to (location) in (date).

Include at the bottom, friend's full name, date, and contact details (address, phone, email, etc).

If you are not married, you will need two of these type statements to be notarized, and you can submit more un-notarized ones if you want. If married, these letters of support are optional and do not have to be notarized.

Hope that helps. Allison

sidkrose

Apr 25, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2011
AOR Received.
24-10-2011
Med's Done....
08-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2011
LANDED..........
10-12-2011
Yes, I agree with AllisonVSC, it has all that needs to be concluded, but perhaps it should be a little more specific and/or legal sounding. The support letters included in our application were in the form of "Declaration Letters" although, I'm sure less "official" ones would be fine too. We were just a little more specific with the details, such as exactly where (type of location, city) and exactly when (the date, or at least month) that we met. The letters also explicitly said "I believe [Sidkrose] and [her partner] to be in a genuine common-law relationship as of [the date we entered the relationship]"

Some of the letters also included people's observations of our relationship. (Ex. we are affection in public and private settings, other friends and family knew about our relationship, we did most things together etc).

Tawcan

Star Member
Mar 21, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2-6-2011
AOR Received.
28-7-2011
Passport Req..
14-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-10-2011
LANDED..........
07-12-2011
We sent two letters from our good friends with our application. Basically said that they've known me for over 10 years and that they met my wife, helped us move, went on trips with us, were present when I propsed, etc. Also helps to have the references in the pics you sent with the application.

greenish

Star Member
Sep 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the input everyone :)

Aiman

Star Member
Jul 22, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2011
Med's Done....
29-09-2011
Interview........
No interview
Passport Req..
27-04-2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sooooon
LANDED..........
Sooooon
should you submit a piece of I.D or it's not a requirement ?

sidkrose

Apr 25, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2011
AOR Received.
24-10-2011
Med's Done....
08-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2011
LANDED..........
10-12-2011
We didn't send any i.d. nor any contact info from the support letters and we just got PPR a couple days ago :)

newlife23

Feb 10, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Kuala Lumpur
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5th October 2011
Med's Done....
25-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
16-02-2012
LANDED..........
Landed with God's grace on 7/3/2012
No ID required as the office where you get the letters notarized will request an ID before they sign and stamp the letters. That was how ours was done.

puigi

Star Member
Mar 12, 2019
I would like to know if anybody can give a confirmation on this. Notarising documents in my country is quite expensive (they are a cartel). I was planning to have two letters, one signed by my sister and my aunt and another by my fianceé's parents, to prove our relationship + photos/story and lease agreement (non-notarised either).
I think that including their official ID's and their contact information (phone number and e-mail) attached to each letter would be enough, right? There is nothing about any of these documents having to be legally notarized in the CIC's website, so including the ID's and the contact information of the individuals vouching for our relationship should be enough. I hope!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I would like to know if anybody can give a confirmation on this. Notarising documents in my country is quite expensive (they are a cartel). I was planning to have two letters, one signed by my sister and my aunt and another by my fianceé's parents, to prove our relationship + photos/story and lease agreement (non-notarised either).
I think that including their official ID's and their contact information (phone number and e-mail) attached to each letter would be enough, right? There is nothing about any of these documents having to be legally notarized in the CIC's website, so including the ID's and the contact information of the individuals vouching for our relationship should be enough. I hope!
They don't need to be notarized and don't include copies of their ID.

Kits

Apr 7, 2019
They don't need to be notarized and don't include copies of their ID.
Hi, are you Canadian? Canadian letters don’t need to be notirized and they don’t ask for ID, but all the letters that I have provided in my student permit application and extensions, and inland sponsorship, they had attached an ID or they were notirized because government don’t trust foreign documents. Maybe you we’re lucky and they didn’t ask you to do it, but I would never send letters from non-Canadian people without an ID.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, are you Canadian? Canadian letters don’t need to be notirized and they don’t ask for ID, but all the letters that I have provided in my student permit application and extensions, and inland sponsorship, they had attached an ID or they were notirized because government don’t trust foreign documents. Maybe you we’re lucky and they didn’t ask you to do it, but I would never send letters from non-Canadian people without an ID.
Luck has absolutely nothing to do with it. Letters from family/friends do not need to be notarized, nor do they need ID attached.