Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
AOR Received.
01-08-2020
Hi all,
I am not sure if any couples have been through the same situation as us.
We are 2 guys who are currently in a long-distant relationship. I have submitted my PR application (ITA received earlier last month). Both of us are not residing in Canada at the moment. I am in Singapore and my partner in US. Since we are not living together, I cannot include him in my profile as an accompanying partner.
I hope it is not too early to plan our reunion in the future.

I have a couple of questions:
1. If my PR application is approved and landed, will Canada recognize our marriage if we perform it in US? We are both from Vietnam, where same-sex marriages are not legalized yet.
2. Alternately, if we solemnize our marriage in Canada, will I be able to sponsor my partner?
3. While waiting for the spousal sponsorship application to be processed, will my partner be able to apply for a visitor visa so he can stay with him while looking for a job in Canada?

Thank you very much!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Do I understand you are applying under some separate stream which is in process now?

Yes, marriages in either USA or Canada would be recognized and you could sponsor.

Have you ever lived together for twelve months continuous? Potentially important if you were ever common law. If so, you may need to declare him before landing. (Best to check carefully)

Also, should you marry before you land (become a PR) you would have to declare him before landing.

He could apply for a visitors visa. No guarantee it would be granted. If he gets a visa before you sponsor him, possible you could sponsor inland.

Note, none of this definitive, please research carefully.

joconstantine

Mar 30, 2020
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
AOR Received.
01-08-2020
Do I understand you are applying under some separate stream which is in process now?

Yes, marriages in either USA or Canada would be recognized and you could sponsor.

Have you ever lived together for twelve months continuous? Potentially important if you were ever common law. If so, you may need to declare him before landing. (Best to check carefully)

Also, should you marry before you land (become a PR) you would have to declare him before landing.

He could apply for a visitors visa. No guarantee it would be granted. If he gets a visa before you sponsor him, possible you could sponsor inland.

Note, none of this definitive, please research carefully.
Hi @armoured ,
Thank you very much for your reply. I am applying under FSW-Outland stream alone. My partner is still in the midst of his postgraduate study in US, and he will only apply after he has finished his course.
We have been dating for some time but never stayed together due to the geographical distance, so technically, I am unmarried and without any common-law partner at the moment. Due to the current situation, I don't think we will be able to stay together until we both come to Canada.
Yes, I will declare should we have a chance to solemnize our relationship before landing.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Sounds relatively straightforward. Major complication right now is travel due to covid, perhaps not worth figuring out what travel restrictions might apply in future.

Reactions: joconstantine