Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
Yes. I live with her in Russia, which is definitely not for same-sex marriage.

AndreyU

Star Member
Dec 10, 2014
superman2012 said:
hi guys.

I have my student visa with me and I have a boyfriend in Canada and he is now a permanent resident there.

I really don't know how to start the application because were planning to apply after a year. since I will be living to his place when I get there in Canada.

can you give me some ideas regarding common law sponsorship? like what are the common requirements to be submitted? does he need to declare me as a common law partner in advance if I will be arriving this June 2015? are same sex marriage is legal in Canada?
You can get married in Canada when you arrive on your student visa. And once you get your marriage certificate you can apply for spousal sponsorship. A friend of mine did exactly the same way in Quebec and got his PR. Just be consistent in answering application questions about when your relationship started. If your partner got his PR when you were not together, and you applied as single in your student visa application, then you are fine. Just check the marriage requirements - they may vary from province to province (you need two witnesses for getting married in Quebec, for example).

superman2012

Nov 20, 2014
hello my partner got his PR last 2014 and we are already committed to each other when he is filling his PR application as well as my Student visa application. is this would be a major issue if we will be having our marriage?

AndreyU

Star Member
Dec 10, 2014
superman2012 said:
hello my partner got his PR last 2014 and we are already committed to each other when he is filling his PR application as well as my Student visa application. is this would be a major issue if we will be having our marriage?
Did you mention each other in your applications for PR/Visa? There are questions on marital status/common law. No problems if all your declarations were consistent. Things get easier if you get married officially in Canada and apply - no need to proof common law, 1 year of cohabitation etc.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
superman2012 said:
As long as you weren't common-law or married as of the time he landed as a PR in Canada as single, then you will be fine. Since you have never lived together for 12 months you are just boyfriend/girlfriend right now, and that status is not very important to CIC.

Once you come to Canada you can get married or live together for 12 months, and then apply for your PR. If living together, make sure to remember to keep proofs and evidence that you are actually living together, and try to get a joint bank account or joint credit card as soon as you arrive in Canada.

superman2012

Nov 20, 2014
Rob_TO said:
As long as you weren't common-law or married as of the time he landed as a PR in Canada as single, then you will be fine. Since you have never lived together for 12 months you are just boyfriend/girlfriend right now, and that status is not very important to CIC.

Once you come to Canada you can get married or live together for 12 months, and then apply for your PR. If living together, make sure to remember to keep proofs and evidence that you are actually living together, and try to get a joint bank account or joint credit card as soon as you arrive in Canada.
Thank you very much for that information sir. Are you also a common law sponsorship? what other requirements did you show to the visa officer?

Another questions, are they also looking for how long our papers are? Like for example the bank account should be stayed there for approximately one year? .

Yes were planning to apply for our bank under our names. And were planning to get a car as soon as I landed in Canada. We also have a property (a condominium) here in the philippines.

superman2012

Nov 20, 2014
AndreyU said:
Did you mention each other in your applications for PR/Visa? There are questions on marital status/common law. No problems if all your declarations were consistent. Things get easier if you get married officially in Canada and apply - no need to proof common law, 1 year of cohabitation etc.
Im planning to marry him but I think he's not ready for that yet haha! But he said that he will sponsor me as a common law after a year. But I dont know how were going to prove that our relationship is gunuine. Because he only traveled here in the philippines once.

so how many percentage the approval rate for common law sponsorship?

Kresip

Nov 6, 2015
AndreyU said:
You can get married in Canada when you arrive on your student visa. And once you get your marriage certificate you can apply for spousal sponsorship. A friend of mine did exactly the same way in Quebec and got his PR. Just be consistent in answering application questions about when your relationship started. If your partner got his PR when you were not together, and you applied as single in your student visa application, then you are fine. Just check the marriage requirements - they may vary from province to province (you need two witnesses for getting married in Quebec, for example).
Yes You are right Andrey.
Only If you and your friend have a real relantionship

One remark: If you have a student visa

Eight

Star Member
Jun 28, 2015
superman2012 said:
Im planning to marry him but I think he's not ready for that yet haha! But he said that he will sponsor me as a common law after a year. But I dont know how were going to prove that our relationship is gunuine. Because he only traveled here in the philippines once.

so how many percentage the approval rate for common law sponsorship?
Since you have student visa, you can stay there in Canada for more than 1 year. live together for at least 12 months. This is the only requirement to say that you are in common law. Since you told that your partner not ready to get married, common law is the only way to sponsor you to become a PR.