+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

same-sex conjugal partner

Jvisa

Mar 3, 2023
Applicant can apply at any time. That's not the same as getting approved.

I don't agree with judgment that it will cause any harm to apply.
I'm guessing that if the conjugal partner is approved for a visitor visa, it would eliminate any immigration barriers for them. Is this correct?

Reactions: I will

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I'm guessing that if the conjugal partner is approved for a visitor visa, it would eliminate any immigration barriers for them. Is this correct?
Yes, but a) I assume the applicant was refused before*, and b) chances of getting approved are rather low.

I do not know of any cases where this has happened. I assume that IRCC would leave that app ongoing and that the visa approval basically would be indication that they'd reached approval-in-principal (or similar) - which they do sometimes for regular spousal sponsorship apps, essentially they've already approved the main bits and are just accepting that the applicant will end up in Canada.

If you're asking if there's a chance that they would then refuse the application because NOW the applicant no longer faces an immigration barrier - logically I should think not, but I cannot give you a 100% guarantee.

*If the applicant was not refused before, no immigration barrier existed and the app would be properly refused acc to parameters of the program.

Jvisa

Mar 3, 2023
Yes, but a) I assume the applicant was refused before*, and b) chances of getting approved are rather low.

I do not know of any cases where this has happened. I assume that IRCC would leave that app ongoing and that the visa approval basically would be indication that they'd reached approval-in-principal (or similar) - which they do sometimes for regular spousal sponsorship apps, essentially they've already approved the main bits and are just accepting that the applicant will end up in Canada.

If you're asking if there's a chance that they would then refuse the application because NOW the applicant no longer faces an immigration barrier - logically I should think not, but I cannot give you a 100% guarantee.

*If the applicant was not refused before, no immigration barrier existed and the app would be properly refused acc to parameters of the program.
Thank you for the explanation , it's very clear and makes absolutely sense

dlramos08

Star Member
Apr 26, 2023
Manila, Philippines
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Manila
Hi, just want to share my timeline here..we applied for conjugal partner sponsorship(both female). I had a TRV before(expired in Aug.2020), visited my gf in Canada twice but we did not get married or lived together to become common-law as I was still studying in a culinary school in the Philippines and she's not out with her parents yet.

Timeline
App submitted - May 2022
App received - June 3, 2022
Enquiry received - June 29, 2022
AOR - Aug. 18, 2022
Biometrics req - Aug. 24, 2022
SA approval - Aug. 25, 2022
Medical req - Aug. 25, 2022
Biometrics submitted - Aug. 26, 2022
Medical - Sept. 9, 2022
Medical passed - Sept. 17, 2022
App started processing - Sept. 13, 2022
Link app online - Sept. 14, 2022
Eligibility started - Oct. 13, 2022
Eligibility completed - Apr. 4, 2023
Background started - April 18, 2023
Eligibility started again - April 26, 2023
Background completed - April 27, 2023
Procedural fairness letter - May 5, 2023
PFL reply submitted (webform) - May 24, 2023
PFL reply re-submitted (manila VO webform) - June 7, 2023
Electronic Travel Authorization app - June 7, 2023
ETA approved - June 10, 2023
COPR details ( PR Tracker) - June 24, 2023
Pre-arrival services (GC key) - June 24, 2023
PPR - June 27, 2023

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Procedural fairness letter - May 5, 2023
PFL reply submitted (webform) - May 24, 2023
PFL reply re-submitted (manila VO webform) - June 7, 2023
Electronic Travel Authorization app - June 7, 2023
Congrats!

Two questions:
-what was the PFL about?
-The ETA - I presume you applied on basis that you'd had a previous TRV (under the new policy)?

Reactions: dlramos08

Mysterydee

Dec 14, 2019
I also applied under conjugal (same sex couple) in November 2022. I have AOR, Bio (from previous refused TRV), medical completed, background in progress and eligibility not started. Both females from Nigeria.

dlramos08

Star Member
Apr 26, 2023
Manila, Philippines
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Manila
Congrats!

Two questions:
-what was the PFL about?
-The ETA - I presume you applied on basis that you'd had a previous TRV (under the new policy)?
- The PFL sent to us contained this:
You have not sufficiently demonstrated that you meet the requirements of the conjugal partner immigration category. There is insufficient documentary evidence on file to show that you and your sponsor are in a conjugal relationship and that you have the significant degree of interdependence – financially, socially, emotionally and physically – characteristic of a conjugal relationship. You and your sponsor have also not established that there is an immigration barrier to cohabitation.

Initially, we only submitted just 4 letters of support from friends and only my Sponsor wrote a letter about our relationship. We also just submitted a few pictures. When we replied to the PFL, we submitted tons of pictures and screenshots of social media tags and posts from (2013-2023), and with family and friends. 16 letters of support from my whole family, her sister, her aunt and our close friends plus letters from the both of us. I also sent my diploma and transcript of records from the culinary school i studied from showing I graduated around 2022. Bank statements of our joint account reflecting the money she sent every month. Old and current credit card statements that I am a supplementary of the sponsor. Her insurance policy from work indicating that I am the beneficiary.

-Yes, i applied for the ETA after we read the announcement that Filipinos who had previous canada trv can apply. We were getting impatient and decided that I should just fly to Canada and wait for the decision there. But, we were informed by a friend who had gone through our situation before that after submitting their reply to the PFL the principal applicant was asked to be interviewed.

Reactions: armoured

Jvisa

Mar 3, 2023
Applicant can apply at any time. That's not the same as getting approved.

I don't agree with judgment that it will cause any harm to apply.
Hi armoured, thanks for your answers for my previous questions. We are going to in a relationship for a year next month and I am preparing materials to sponsor her immigration through conjugal. As the new policy released couple of weeks ago, we can apply TRV after submitting the family class immigration application, it's supposed to be processed within 30 days with 98% approval rate (can't believe the number through lol ), I wonder if I apply the TRV for her, will this harm to our conjugal application? By the way, she was refused twice before. Do you really think her TRV would be approved under the new policy?

dlramos08

Star Member
Apr 26, 2023
Manila, Philippines
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Manila
Hi armoured, thanks for your answers for my previous questions. We are going to in a relationship for a year next month and I am preparing materials to sponsor her immigration through conjugal. As the new policy released couple of weeks ago, we can apply TRV after submitting the family class immigration application, it's supposed to be processed within 30 days with 98% approval rate (can't believe the number through lol ), I wonder if I apply the TRV for her, will this harm to our conjugal application? By the way, she was refused twice before. Do you really think her TRV would be approved under the new policy?
Maybe apply for the TRV after you get AOR for conjugal sponsorship..It's better to try than to do nothing..who knows, your partner might get approved..

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I'd you apply, apply after aor. No idea if this will work in any specific case.

In all honesty have not seen clear confirmation this new policy will apply to conjugal cases.

Jvisa

Mar 3, 2023

In all honesty have not seen clear confirmation this new policy will apply to conjugal cases.
Yes, it's unclear, I wonder if she gets approved for TRV, are we still meet the eligibility of conjugal? It's confusing....

Jvisa

Mar 3, 2023

I wonder if she gets approved for TRV, are we still meet the eligibility of conjugal? It's confusing....