+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

same-sex conjugal partner

Jvisa

Mar 3, 2023
Hello Seniors:

Really need your help and advice on my case.
I am the PR since 2017.
I wonder if I can apply family class sponsorship through conjugal partner for my same-sex partner ? She has applied the Canada TVR twice but both of them got refused. Also same-sex marriage is not legal in our home country. So I think we are probably qualified to be as a conjugal partner?
However, I heard many people said that conjugal partner sponsorship is very complicated and hard to be approved, is that true? I wonder why?

Do you also think we can try to apply the TRV for the third time? She mentioned me in her previous application, can she just not mention me in the third application, just for a pure tourism purpose? Everything will go smoothly if she can come to Canada and then we can get married, and sponsor as a spouse inland.

Any advice will be highly appreciated!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I wonder if I can apply family class sponsorship through conjugal partner for my same-sex partner ? She has applied the Canada TVR twice but both of them got refused. Also same-sex marriage is not legal in our home country. So I think we are probably qualified to be as a conjugal partner?
Basically it seems you and your partner meet the legal test (can't get married) and immigration test (partner can't come to Canada).

However, I heard many people said that conjugal partner sponsorship is very complicated and hard to be approved, is that true? I wonder why?
They make it harder because you're not married to each other in any sense, neither legal nor common law, and it is supposed to be a program for spouses only.

Please read the instructions carefully and start preparing. In practice, most of what is required is simlar for conjugal as for 'regular' spouses.

That said: it will take a while. Sure, apply for TRV again.

I'd urge you both to also consider whether it is possible for you to both travel to some third country and get married. It will be somewhat easier and likely faster.

Jvisa

Mar 3, 2023
Basically it seems you and your partner meet the legal test (can't get married) and immigration test (partner can't come to Canada).

They make it harder because you're not married to each other in any sense, neither legal nor common law, and it is supposed to be a program for spouses only.

Please read the instructions carefully and start preparing. In practice, most of what is required is simlar for conjugal as for 'regular' spouses.

That said: it will take a while. Sure, apply for TRV again.

I'd urge you both to also consider whether it is possible for you to both travel to some third country and get married. It will be somewhat easier and likely faster.
Thank you very much for the reply!
Yes we are thinking to go to another country to get married. However, her B1/B2 visa also got denied, we are also unable to go to the USA.
We are figuring out if any country do not need visa and legally allow the same-sex marriage for tourists.

For another try of the TRV, any advice on how to make the application as strong as possible?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you very much for the reply!
Yes we are thinking to go to another country to get married. However, her B1/B2 visa also got denied, we are also unable to go to the USA.
We are figuring out if any country do not need visa and legally allow the same-sex marriage for tourists.

For another try of the TRV, any advice on how to make the application as strong as possible?
If you say what countries/nationalities are involved, others may have suggestions.

TRV: I do not know much about this. It may be better to wait until after you have applied for the spousal/conjugal, but I'm not certain.

Jvisa

Mar 3, 2023
If you say what countries/nationalities are involved, others may have suggestions.

TRV: I do not know much about this. It may be better to wait until after you have applied for the spousal/conjugal, but I'm not certain.
We are from China

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
We are from China
Well in Asia the only jurisdiction I know of is Taiwan, then Europe, and most of the americas. But I don't know how difficult to get visas to those countries nor how difficult to get married as non-resdients.

But do start preparing and collecting files, not all conjugal take very long. You can decide as you get docs collected and prepared.

Jvisa

Mar 3, 2023
Well in Asia the only jurisdiction I know of is Taiwan, then Europe, and most of the americas. But I don't know how difficult to get visas to those countries nor how difficult to get married as non-resdients.

But do start preparing and collecting files, not all conjugal take very long. You can decide as you get docs collected and prepared.
Thank you very much for the valuable advice. Yes, to get married in Taiwan, at least one of the couple needs to be the resident of Taiwan.
Her b1/b2 visa also got refused. We have lived together in China for 8 months, do you think it is helpful for the conjugal application, which just another proof of real relationship. In addition, Utah, USA allows to get married online, I understand that IRCC does not recognize the proxy marriage, however, do you also think it's helpful to get the marriage certificate though Utah remote wedding ceremony? The marriage certificate itself is legal and recognized in the USA and other countries as long as the same sex marriage is legal in that country.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you very much for the valuable advice. Yes, to get married in Taiwan, at least one of the couple needs to be the resident of Taiwan.
Her b1/b2 visa also got refused. We have lived together in China for 8 months, do you think it is helpful for the conjugal application, which just another proof of real relationship. In addition, Utah, USA allows to get married online, I understand that IRCC does not recognize the proxy marriage, however, do you also think it's helpful to get the marriage certificate though Utah remote wedding ceremony? The marriage certificate itself is legal and recognized in the USA and other countries as long as the same sex marriage is legal in that country.
Having lived together even if less than 12 months is helpful. Personally I think better not to do online wedding because once your spouse is in canada you can get married in a way that absolutely will be recognized everywhere (or at least in places that recognize same sex). But that is my personal opinion and I do not know if there are other advantages/disadvantages.

I will

Star Member
Jul 10, 2020
Outland conjugal paper sponsorship

Jan 26, 2022 - Application sent
Jan 28, 2022 - Received at CPC Sydney
April 6, 2022 - AOR
april 13 ,2022 - medical request
April 13, 2022 - sponsor approval
File transfer to manila visa(MVO) office
April 19, 2022 -start processing
April 20, 2022 - request RPRF( landing fee)
May 2, 2022 - medical done
May 9 ,2022 - medical updated
Jun 8 ,2022 - additional document request jun to march.....nothing

Jvisa

Mar 3, 2023
Outland conjugal paper sponsorship

Jan 26, 2022 - Application sent
Jan 28, 2022 - Received at CPC Sydney
April 6, 2022 - AOR
april 13 ,2022 - medical request
April 13, 2022 - sponsor approval
File transfer to manila visa(MVO) office
April 19, 2022 -start processing
April 20, 2022 - request RPRF( landing fee)
May 2, 2022 - medical done
May 9 ,2022 - medical updated
Jun 8 ,2022 - additional document request jun to march.....nothing
Any updates with your application now?