+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SALARY

reignman

Nov 27, 2008
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!

When I was interviewed by my employer he told me that my starting salary would be 14.75/hour...But when I received my job contract and LMO it indicates there that my salary will be 21.75/hour...I just want to know what its gonna be? Do I have the right to complain if my employer give the 14.75/hour? By the way i fall under NOC C & D...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The employer is cheating on Service Canada and immigration (and you). He is not allowed to hire a foreigner unless he pays market wage. That's probably why he had to put $21.75 in the LMO to get it approved. Now he will see how much you want this job.

It is against the law to pay you less and you can get him in trouble with immigration if you complain about him but he can also fire you or make your life so miserable that you quit. If you have problems, try to find out if your province has a foreign workers hotline you can call. I know in AB we do.

You could ask him nicely for a raise, maybe you will get something. Maybe you have to prove your worth. It's up to you what you do about it.

reignman

Nov 27, 2008
THANKS LEON....
Yap he mentioned about the raise and bonuses evry 3 months....Actually my employer company is based in edmonton AB...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LOL, I wonder if you are coming to work for my employer. I don't think so because we are heading into slow season but you can get the info for the foreign workers in AB at http://employment.alberta.ca/cps/rde/xchg/hre/hs.xsl/4548.html

What my employer has done in the past was to hire people that should have been making 17.75 at the time for 13 to start and after 3 months raising them up to 15 or 16 and maybe eventually up to what they should have been making all along. They are not doing that anymore because the rest of the staff also protested it. Another thing they were doing was including in contracts with the employees that if they quit before the end of the contract, they would have to pay the employers cost. They tried to do this to some people who had quit but we found out that by law, they can not charge the employee for using an employment agency to do their paperwork so they just refused to pay and nothing happened.

You definitely have some rights here as a foreign worker or as a worker in general but of course it's always a question whether you benefit from demanding your rights or not. If you complain too much, you could end up without a job.