+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

rush passport processing?

newbie233

Jul 5, 2014
Hi I have my oath taking this Friday, 830am (Dec 13) and I have a US trip on Tuesday (Dec 17). I know you have to wait 48 hours after oath to apply for a passport. And nobody has replied to my requests for rescheduling + I am also worried it would take them forever to give me another date.

Does anybody have any experience with rush passport processing during the weekend?

Thanks.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Hi I have my oath taking this Friday, 830am (Dec 13) and I have a US trip on Tuesday (Dec 17). I know you have to wait 48 hours after oath to apply for a passport. And nobody has replied to my requests for rescheduling + I am also worried it would take them forever to give me another date.

Does anybody have any experience with rush passport processing during the weekend?

Thanks.
I know I may get pushback here from others, based on other threads, but I personally know someone (well, it's her Mom) who had the ceremony in the morning and took her certificate to the passport office around 2pm and got the passport same day (Friday) to fly Saturday. Was about a year ago.

Personally, I'm assuming my ceremony will now be Jan (I gave them dates to avoid from Dec 14th), but if I HAD had an invite for say this week I was going to go to the major passport office near the ceremony (only some offices offer urgent processing) and ask them if they'd do it before going to the ceremony and trying it.

So, my advice would be find your local urgent processing office and go in person and ask them today if you can do same day and report back. There is an extra fee of course ($110 off top of my head).

Also as it's the US, I assume you are flying. Back once you have Citizenship (also true as a PR of course) you can't be denied entry. Can you route your return flight to a place near the crossing and return on foot (might take some time but CoPR, citizenship certificate and driving license/photo card likely to help) and the drive home?

Fully aware that walking over the border is much easier around Toronto/Vancouver vs Calgary or many other cities people live, just throwing it out there.

** Edit **
Obviously if you are going to rush it, you would want the forms and phoros fully completed and signed by everyone (references too), and I'd suggest taking your guarantor along with you to the passport office. If they say they can do it on the same day (or back for Sat).

Last edited:

newbie233

Jul 5, 2014
thank you! I think I'll just let the person know during the oath taking about the situation and hope they can update ECAS the same day. I'll pay extra fees then on Monday.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
thank you! I think I'll just let the person know during the oath taking about the situation and hope they can update ECAS the same day. I'll pay extra fees then on Monday.
Well they do list two days (many people see it next (working?) day I believe). So I'd definitely have a backup plan! But please do report back, and good luck. What time are you trying to leave on Tuesday?

newbie233

Jul 5, 2014
I wanted to reschedule but nobody replied to all my 3 messages (2 via the email address indicated in the Notice to Appear and 1 via the IRCC webform). My Tuesday flight is 8am. Just keeping fingers crossed it all works out.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
I wanted to reschedule but nobody replied to all my 3 messages (2 via the email address indicated in the Notice to Appear and 1 via the IRCC webform). My Tuesday flight is 8am. Just keeping fingers crossed it all works out.
That’s depressing, I believe they list 2-5 days to reply, how long did they have? My one attempt via web form was 5 days. Though that was essentially sent to local office.

Good luck for tomorrow, let us know what they say and if I were you I’d try taking the cert to a local office (after oath tomorrow) to see what they say too...

Reactions: KKE

newbie233

Jul 5, 2014
well I took my oath yesterday. My ecas changed to complete today. So I will go to the passport office on Monday and request urgent processing. Looks like I will make it to my Tuesday flight after all.

Thanks all for the help! Good luck everyone!

4canada

Jan 21, 2019
Hi,
I am in a similar situation as you..I have an oath ceremony Scheduled on a Friday and flying to USA following Tuesday at 8am. Did you get a passport in 1 day on Monday?

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
well I took my oath yesterday. My ecas changed to complete today. So I will go to the passport office on Monday and request urgent processing. Looks like I will make it to my Tuesday flight after all.

Thanks all for the help! Good luck everyone!
Just replying with quote as that’s more likely to flag a response.

I’ve certainly heard of someone getting a passport day of oath. Last year. Despite what is claimed. It’s certainly not recommended, my personal view is go see your local office before you take the oath and see what they say.

If no, consider options like changing trip or coming back via a US land border crossing where you are guaranteed entry.

Albeit it might take a bit of time and a lecture from CBSA. And obviously travel with some other form(s) of ID. Depends how urgent this trip is (I’d consider this for a close relatives wedding for example but perhaps not a work trip).

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
It is possible. I know one person who got their passport two business days after the oath. It took one day for his status to get updated in the system. He then went right to a passport office that morning and requested urgent processing and paid all the extra fees for it. He got a call the next morning that it will be ready in the afternoon and had a passport in his hands by the evening.

4canada

Jan 21, 2019
Thanks for your responses @jc94 and @keesio .
I am going to go to cic office and ask them of their opinion...worst case scenario, I do the urgent process option on Monday and hopefully get the passport by Tuesday.

4canada

Jan 21, 2019
Hi everyone,
I thought I would write this for anyone facing a similar situation in the future.
I had my oath ceremony on Friday afternoon (2.30pm) and had a flight booked for Tuesday morning at 8am. I went to the passport office straight from the ceremony and made it just in time before 4pm and managed to apply for a passport. Obviously, they couldn’t find me In their system, so they said that they would wait and check again on Monday morning and call me back if there were any issues. They did want to check my proof of travel and I had to pay extra $110. First thing Monday they called my references and guarantor and passport was ready by 3pm on Monday.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Hi everyone,
I thought I would write this for anyone facing a similar situation in the future.
I had my oath ceremony on Friday afternoon (2.30pm) and had a flight booked for Tuesday morning at 8am. I went to the passport office straight from the ceremony and made it just in time before 4pm and managed to apply for a passport. Obviously, they couldn’t find me In their system, so they said that they would wait and check again on Monday morning and call me back if there were any issues. They did want to check my proof of travel and I had to pay extra $110. First thing Monday they called my references and guarantor and passport was ready by 3pm on Monday.
Thanks for the update! I am very surprised they called all three people, calling any seems rare though maybe the rush?

Quick oath! I think this is an example of the advantages of Citizenship when things really can be done quickly vs as a PR time seems to mean very little and if you are stuck abroad that’s your problem! Also how fast one can get a passport here something I didn’t realize is almost impossible in the US unless it really is life and death.

Congrats!

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Thanks for the update! I am very surprised they called all three people, calling any seems rare though maybe the rush?

Quick oath! I think this is an example of the advantages of Citizenship when things really can be done quickly vs as a PR time seems to mean very little and if you are stuck abroad that’s your problem! Also how fast one can get a passport here something I didn’t realize is almost impossible in the US unless it really is life and death.

Congrats!
It’s not surprising they called all three people. It’s there first passport . I’ve had seven passports issued over the course of life , born here . Who ever has signed my documents from my first passport @ 14 to recently have always been called