+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rules for Landing after receiving the Visa

Sanazeh

Star Member
Mar 21, 2014
Hi Everyone,

I have an offer to take up a job assignment, which requires me on the project for at least 1 year in my home country. Meanwhile, my PR application is being processes and if all goes well I can have my visa by sept-oct this year. My medicals will expire in Dec.

If I take up this job, it will mean I need to stay here till April 2017. Also, I believe Dec will not be a good time to migrate to Canada (coming from a hot country).

So do I have the option to enter Canada before the expiry of my medicals, and than return within a month. I can than plan to permanently go sometime in mid 2017. Is this even an option or I must move completely before my medicals expire?

andy108

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2015
Australia
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
**-09-2017
PR Residency Obligation is 730 days (two years) within the first five years following landing.

Technically, you can LAND get a new PR could land and soon leave and not return to Canada for nearly three years.

Dexmoody

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sanazeh said:
Hi Everyone,

I have an offer to take up a job assignment, which requires me on the project for at least 1 year in my home country. Meanwhile, my PR application is being processes and if all goes well I can have my visa by sept-oct this year. My medicals will expire in Dec.

If I take up this job, it will mean I need to stay here till April 2017. Also, I believe Dec will not be a good time to migrate to Canada (coming from a hot country).

So do I have the option to enter Canada before the expiry of my medicals, and than return within a month. I can than plan to permanently go sometime in mid 2017. Is this even an option or I must move completely before my medicals expire?
Yes, you can leave after doing your landing - even on the same day if you so choose.

But your PR card will not arrive within a month, and they will only send it to an address in Canada. A workaround is that you can give them a friend's address who will receive the PR card on your behalf.

Another problem is that you will need the PR card when you re-enter Canada by air after your initial landing. You could have your PR card forwarded by a friend to your home country if you trust the courier / mail services. Note that it will be a huge hassle if it gets lost.

The alternative is to apply for a Travel Document:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp