16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Dsiraj said:
Canada's entry requirements are changing

Starting March 15, 2016
, if you are a permanent resident of Canada and a citizen of a visa-exempt country, you will need to travel with your Canadian permanent resident (PR) card or permanent resident travel document when flying to Canada. Otherwise, you may not be able to board your flight to Canada. Permanent residents who are citizens of visa-required countries will continue to need to show their PR card when boarding a flight to Canada.

If you are in Canada and do not currently have a permanent resident card, find out how to apply for a permanent resident card.

If you are outside Canada and do not have a PR card or your card is expired, find out how to apply for a permanent resident travel document.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=64&t=10
This is unchanged for non visa-exempt PRs. What IS changed is that visa-exempt nationals will also have to do the same. No flying back just because you don't require a visa and pretending at the check in to just be a 'visitor' if you don't have your valid PR card. The new ETA system will attempt to enforce this, or maybe it will be a side-effect of the new ETA system.

Sarah1791

Aug 4, 2014
Dsiraj said:

Starting March 15, 2016
, if you are a permanent resident of Canada and a citizen of a visa-exempt country, you will need to travel with your Canadian permanent resident (PR) card or permanent resident travel document when flying to Canada. Otherwise, you may not be able to board your flight to Canada. Permanent residents who are citizens of visa-required countries will continue to need to show their PR card when boarding a flight to Canada.

If you are in Canada and do not currently have a permanent resident card, find out how to apply for a permanent resident card.

If you are outside Canada and do not have a PR card or your card is expired, find out how to apply for a permanent resident travel document.

Dear Dsiraj,
Thanks for sharing this piece of news but I was wondering how this newly-announced change differs from the past for Permanent residents who are citizens of visa-required countries. I mean, I'm a PR of Canada and a resident of a visa-required country who is currently awaiting, in my home country, for my PR card to be mailed to me by a friend of mine there, following a short landing in Canada one month ago and then departing it after a short while.
Thanks

Dsiraj

Star Member
Jul 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2014
Doc's Request.
Additional: 18-11-2014
Nomination.....
03-09-2014
Med's Request
24-01-2015
Med's Done....
29-01-2015
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
04-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-06-2015
LANDED..........
21-10-2015
Sarah1791 said:
Dear Dsiraj,
Thanks for sharing this piece of news but I was wondering how this newly-announced change differs from the past for Permanent residents who are citizens of visa-required countries. I mean, I'm a PR of Canada and a resident of a visa-required country who is currently awaiting, in my home country, for my PR card to be mailed to me by a friend of mine there, following a short landing in Canada one month ago and then departing it after a short while.
Thanks
hi Sarah1791
its a new rule which will be implemented by 15 March 2016 the main change is that people from visa exempt countries having PR status need to carry PR card or travel document as for people from visa required countries will have to show their PR cards while boarding flights.

Now many people are saying that if u don't have your PR card with you, a travel document can be issued to enter Canada doesn't matter if you are from visa required or visa exempt country. But it does not say that in the foot note so even I am a bit confused if people from visa required countries will be able to enter with a travel document after 15 March 2016.

If your PR cards are mailed at the mentioned address than no problem but at times there are people who have been asked to collect their PR cards in person and this happens very very rarely. So once your are out of Canada you cannot enter without showing PR card. All I think is you should make sure that your PR cards are mailed and you receive it before travelling again.

Actually to be honest even I am not very clear about this new rule. I am doing my short landing in the last 10 days of September. Will try to look for a lawyer and clear this rule with him. please keep us posted once your friend couriers you your PR cards and you receive it. I am also opting for the same and I also am from a visa required country.

Also I am sorry I don't want people to panic its just a change which we should know about.

Sarah1791

Aug 4, 2014
Dsiraj said:
hi Sarah1791
its a new rule which will be implemented by 15 March 2016 the main change is that people from visa exempt countries having PR status need to carry PR card or travel document as for people from visa required countries will have to show their PR cards while boarding flights.

Now many people are saying that if u don't have your PR card with you, a travel document can be issued to enter Canada doesn't matter if you are from visa required or visa exempt country. But it does not say that in the foot note so even I am a bit confused if people from visa required countries will be able to enter with a travel document after 15 March 2016.

If your PR cards are mailed at the mentioned address than no problem but at times there are people who have been asked to collect their PR cards in person and this happens very very rarely. So once your are out of Canada you cannot enter without showing PR card. All I think is you should make sure that your PR cards are mailed and you receive it before travelling again.

Actually to be honest even I am not very clear about this new rule. I am doing my short landing in the last 10 days of September. Will try to look for a lawyer and clear this rule with him. please keep us posted once your friend couriers you your PR cards and you receive it. I am also opting for the same and I also am from a visa required country.

Also I am sorry I don't want people to panic its just a change which we should know about.
ِDear Dsiraj,
Like you said, I also believe it is a bit confusing as to whether people from visa required countries will be able to enter with a travel document or not, supposing the person fails to receive his/her PR card for some reason (non-delivery, theft, loss, damage, etc.) and he/she is not inside the country to collect it in person. Actually, this ambiguity was my main concern when I first raised the question above.
Anyway, good luck with your short landing plan. I hope your lawyer there can shed some light on the issue. In the meantime, if I am lucky enough to have my PR delivered to me safe and sound, I'll certainly keep this thread members posted.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Sarah1791 said:
ِDear Dsiraj,
Like you said, I also believe it is a bit confusing as to whether people from visa required countries will be able to enter with a travel document or not, supposing the person fails to receive his/her PR card for some reason (non-delivery, theft, loss, damage, etc.) and he/she is not inside the country to collect it in person. Actually, this ambiguity was my main concern when I first raised the question above.
Anyway, good luck with your short landing plan. I hope your lawyer there can shed some light on the issue. In the meantime, if I am lucky enough to have my PR delivered to me safe and sound, I'll certainly keep this thread members posted.
You must remember that the PR card is primarily a travel document. That was it's original, sole, purpose. Any PR can obtain a PRTD if they meet the residency obligation requirements, and are not otherwise inadmissible, regardless of their visa-exempt/required status. The new ETA system doesn't change this.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Agree with emphasis: that the eTA will have no impact at all on the capacity of Canadian PRs to board a flight destined for Canada by displaying either (1) a currently valid PR card, or (2) a PR Travel Document.

In this regard, remember "Travel Document" is a generic reference to various types of documents which are used to show authorization to travel internationally. Passports are the most common form of "Travel Document," and some Travel Documents have a very limited function as a Travel Document . . . the Canadian PR card, for example, is a "Travel Document" but it is generally only valid as a Travel Document for traveling to Canada. Some countries might recognize it as a Travel Document, but most do not . . . thus, for example, many countries with exit controls will require travelers to show some Travel Document other than the PR card before being allowed to board a flight leaving the country.

Illustrative examples:
-- a passport which is not visa-exempt will not constitute a Travel Document authorizing travel to Canada unless there is a permit or visa or such affixed to or properly accompanying the passport which authorizes travel to Canada
-- single-use Travel Documents authorizing one specific instance of travel are common; the PR Travel Document is such a Travel Document, as it is only good for a trip to Canada
-- broader Travel Documents can authorize travel in lieu of a passport; for example, refugees who are Canadian PRs can obtain a Travel Document which will authorize travel to many countries in the world except the country of origin

Further attempt to clarify as to impact for short-landing Canadian PRs:

Foremost: short-landing PRs, that is, those who come to Canada in order to do the landing which makes them a Canadian PR, but who leave Canada soon before receiving their PR card (which can be as soon as almost immediately after landing), should have little problem obtaining a PR Travel Document to facilitate their return to Canada, so long as they do so less than three years after the date of leaving Canada (with enough of a margin that their travel takes place less than three years after the date of leaving Canada). This is what the rules technically require.

However, many short-landing PRs arrange to have the PR card mailed to a trusted person (family or friend), in Canada, who will in turn send the PR card to the new PR abroad (preferably using secure courier service).

Beyond that, historically many PRs who otherwise carry a visa-exempt passport have, in practice, used their visa-exempt passports for the purpose of the pre-boarding checks, pursuant to which boarding passengers are required to display a Travel Document authorizing entry into Canada. That screening is conducted by airlines (and other commercial transportation providers). This practice has not been limited to short-landing PRs who do not have a valid PR card due to leaving Canada so soon after landing, but has been engaged in by many PRs carrying a visa-exempt passport who otherwise, for whatever reason, do not have a valid PR card to display.

The flight-boarding scenario for Canadian PRs who carry a visa-exempt passport and who do not have a valid PR card is largely the same whether they are a short-landing PR or have been a PR for a long time.

What happens at the POE is a separate matter. Note that regardless of how it is that a returning Canadian PR gets himself or herself to the POE, once at the POE a Canadian PR is entitled to entry into Canada. Of course, the traveler must prove identity and technically also establish status, but proof of identity usually will also constitute establishing status. Nonetheless, it is always prudent for a PR without a valid PR card to otherwise have his or her CoPR to present at the POE.

The issue is typically more about being allowed to board a flight destined to Canada.

It has long been the rule that airlines (and other commercial transportation providers) must screen boarding passengers (boarding a flight destined to arrive in Canada) for a proper Travel Document which authorizes entry into Canada.

Thus, to board a flight destined for Canada, passengers have long been required to present one of the following:

-- Canadian passport
-- Canadian PR card
-- PR Travel Document
-- visa exempt passport
-- visa authorizing entry into Canada
-- other specific Travel Documents authorizing entry into Canada

Again, the airlines pre-boarding screening is separate and distinct from checks done at the POE upon arrival in Canada.

A Travel Document authorizing entry into Canada does not guarantee entry into Canada. That said, returning Canadians, including both returning Canadian citizens and Canadian PRs, are entitled to entry into Canada upon arrival at the POE. This is not dependent on the kind of Travel Document the traveler presented to the airlines or presents to officers at the POE, but is rather dependent upon establishing identity and status (as citizen or PR) at the POE.

Technically, in so far as the regulations are concerned, Canadian PRs have long been required to present either a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document in order to board a flight destined for Canada.

In practice, in contrast, many times a PR will display his or her visa-exempt passport to the individual screening for Travel Documents prior to boarding. The person doing the screening for the airlines is focused on (1) matching name/identity with the boarding pass, and (2) seeing that the passenger is displaying a Travel Document authorizing entry into Canada. (Note: how this is done will vary from country to country, somewhat from airline to airline, and it is worth remembering that many countries have exit controls which can be more thorough or restrictive.) Thus, the display of a visa-exempt passport has, typically, allowed the PR to board the flight . . . but technically the rule is nonetheless that the PR should have displayed either a PR card or PR Travel Document.

What is often overlooked is that in the meantime all flights to North America (to both the U.S. and Canada) involve security screening of passenger lists. Historically this appears to have been somewhat sporadic in its thoroughness, but has undoubtedly undergone extensive technological enhancement and as of today it is a fairly thorough check of all passengers destined for the U.S. and by some time next year will be likewise for all passengers destined for Canada. And this increasingly entails not just security screening but also status screening.

How it actually works in practice is NOT public information and will not be. We know certain aspects of what is done and how it works, but we do not totally know the extent to which boarding passengers are screened, either in security or status screening.

There has been a great deal of speculation about the impact of the eTA system for PRs with visa-exempt passports trying to travel to Canada using their visa-exempt passport rather than displaying a valid PR card.

Some of what we do know (or perhaps emphasizing what we do NOT know) re changes due to the eTA:

The eTA is now available. It becomes mandatory for all travelers next year, but now travelers with a visa-exempt passport can go into the system and obtain the clearance. This will be good for five years. So once the eTA has been obtained, it does not need to be done again, for up to five years, so long as that passport remains valid.

Thus, I expect some anecdotal reports in the near future from PRs who attempt to obtain the eTA using their visa-exempt passports. In the meantime we can only GUESS how this will go. CIC is not divulging, and will not divulge any more detail than the rules, and the rule is that a PR returning to Canada is supposed to display a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document in order to board a flight destined for Canada. Which again has been the rule for a long time despite the extent to which scores and scores of PRs have done otherwise (by presenting a visa-exempt passport instead).

My sense, my guess is that the eTA is (or in the not-so-distant future will be) tied to data-base processing which will automatically screen passengers whenever they travel on a flight destined to Canada, even after initially obtaining the eTA (that is, while the primary screening process is done attendant obtaining the eTA initially, that this will establish a client identity, or connect the passport to an existing client identity, which will be electronically screened every time that individual is listed in a Canadian bound flight manifest). But this really is a guess. My strong sense is that the systems will continue to expand and be more integrated, facilitating a great deal of electronic monitoring and screening of travelers, with criteria for issuing alerts/flags or such.

Part of what we do not know, assuming there is such greater robust screening (after initial eTA; denial of eTA due to a flag will require clearing the flag before the eTA is granted) for all passengers listed in a flight manifest, is whether or not alerts or flags will prevent boarding (at least until cleared) or will be in effect left for POE screening (obviously, certain types of security flags will indeed, as they do now, preclude boarding).

The big question for PRs is whether the electronic screening includes criteria to identify visa-exempt travelers who are Canadian PRs, and if so what it then does. Anyone proffering an answer to this question is guessing and guessing in the dark.

That said, the obvious direction things are headed is that sooner or later PR status is likely to be part of the screening.

That is, regardless of how it works next year, or in 2017, eventually PRs attempting to board a flight destined for Canada can anticipate having to present either a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document, regardless of what passport they carry (albeit it may be much, much longer before those carrying a U.S. passport run into this . . . remember the eTA requirements, for example, will not apply to U.S. citizens for the foreseeable future). We can only guess how soon this will happen.

Sep 8, 2015
I need to know,
when renewing the PR card, do they count the two in five years back from the date of application or form the date of landing (becoming a permanent resident) or the date of expiry of the PR card
I mean ..
My landing was on 22-7-2012 and the my PR card was issued 13-9-2012. If by 22-7-2017, I didn't complete the two years inside Canada and I didn't apply for renewal till 9-2017 or even later like 3-2018 till I complete the two years (even if my PR card will be expired that time). Will they renew it anyway since at the date of application I would have completed two years or they will count five years starting from 22-7-2012 my landing date and in this case I would not be eligible for renewal??

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
michelfimorgan said:
I need to know,
when renewing the PR card, do they count the two in five years back from the date of application or form the date of landing (becoming a permanent resident) or the date of expiry of the PR card
I mean ..
My landing was on 22-7-2012 and the my PR card was issued 13-9-2012. If by 22-7-2017, I didn't complete the two years inside Canada and I didn't apply for renewal till 9-2017 or even later like 3-2018 till I complete the two years (even if my PR card will be expired that time). Will they renew it anyway since at the date of application I would have completed two years or they will count five years starting from 22-7-2012 my landing date and in this case I would not be eligible for renewal??
a) You hijacked an unrelated thread and
b) your question is already answered in your other thread.

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dsiraj said:

Starting March 15, 2016

And how would the airline know that a citizen of a visa-exempt country is a permanent resident, if he's using a new passport that doesn't have the immigrant visa?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
neutral said:
And how would the airline know that a citizen of a visa-exempt country is a permanent resident, if he's using a new passport that doesn't have the immigrant visa?
They could do it very easily. If they decided that a PR is not eligible for ETA, you would only have the PR documents to be able to board an aircraft. I don't think that this is the plan, but it *could* be implemented if they choose.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
. . . how would the airline know that a citizen of a visa-exempt country is a permanent resident, if he's using a new passport that doesn't have the immigrant visa?

Question is not relevant. As of next year, other than U.S. citizens, British Royalty, and a few others, travelers using a visa-exempt passport for travel to Canada must obtain authorization BEFORE boarding flights destined to Canada. Airline screening procedures (similar to how it now works for travelers destined for the U.S.) will require visa-exempt passport holders to have this pre-boarding authorization.

Canadian PRs do not need the eTA, but that is based on their presenting either a currently valid PR card or a PR Travel Document for purposes of boarding the flight.

The eTA process is essentially electronic, and is supposed to take very little time, hence it is an "e" Travel Authorization, eTA.

The Canadian government will be doing the eTA screening (vast majority of which is supposed to be accomplished automatically, electronically, no need for human involvement), not the airlines. Some FNs may run into snags obtaining the eTA, in which case additional processing may be necessary to clear the snag and issue the eTA.

We do not know the nature or extent of criteria to be screened, except the obvious: RCMP/NCIC/Interpol criminal name record checks; intelligence security risk checks (no-fly lists the most obvious example); certain status flags (such as FNs who have been previously removed from Canada or denied entry). Mostly security and basic FN inadmissibility issues.

But it would be safe to bet that (1) the system as implemented will also include additional screening beyond what the public is informed, and (2) will be capable, now or as-may-be-upgraded, of screening additional status criteria, including, in particular, whether the traveler has status as a PR in Canada (or as a citizen).

If or when the eTA process will flag a visa-exempt traveler as someone who is a Canadian PR is unknown. If not as implemented, sooner or later this seems likely.

It is also unknown whether the system will only flag status issues at the time the eTA is obtained or whether the system is fixed to run a screen every time the individual goes to board a flight destined for Canada (reminder: once obtained, the eTA is good for up to five years . . . but of course that assures that passport is in the system and has a Canadian CIC client number connecting the individual and the Travel Document and the individual's CIC/CBSA history).

My sense is that it is highly likely an additional range of checks or screening, beyond the criteria governing the issuance of the eTA, will be done, and that there will be criteria for flagging some travelers for further screening upon arrival at the POE. That is, some screening criteria will preclude issuance of the eTA, but other criteria which will not block the eTA will nonetheless trigger additional inquiries in the POE examination. I highly suspect the latter for those PRs using a visa-exempt passport, if not right away, in the not-so-distant future.

As for connecting a new passport to an existing CIC client (which once connected, will identify any PR as a PR), part of the whole visa-exempt passport scheme involves standards and uniform practices (governing secure data in the passports) which facilitate the respective governments' ability to electronically connect the Travel Document to the respective individual, regardless of which Travel Document is being used. In the past this has been full of holes. Over time many if not most of the holes have been fixed, probably not entirely, but to a very large extent. More than ten years ago, for example, I used an entirely new passport (with a different middle name) and was nonetheless promptly identified, the next time I was screened at a POE, with the same Canadian CIC client number as I had from years previous (on both occasions I was merely a casual visitor with a visa-exempt passport). No rocket science necessary to figure out that Canada is maintaining a more complete and pervasive web of data.

Of course the airlines are not doing status checks. They are screening boarding passengers as to identity and possession of a valid travel document authorizing entry into Canada. Next year, for visa-exempt travelers, the valid travel document being used will require the eTA before checking in for the flight. Whether the eTA will be a paper or physical thing to accompany or be affixed in the passport, or is something that works in the background (electronically for example, based on Travel Document number or such), or a combination, I do not know. Those who have done this for the U.S. may be able to enlighten us as to how it probably will work (CIC has specifically said it will be much like the U.S. system), that is, whether it is something printed out and put in the passport or not.

Bottom-line: Sooner or later what was a common practice, PRs being able to board flights for Canada without displaying a PR card or PR Travel Document, by displaying a visa-exempt passport, is likely to come to an end. The border controls continue to trend upwards, toward more scrutiny not less. No reversal in direction is on the horizon.

av_can

Jan 11, 2015
Sarah1791 said:
Dear Cath06
Yes I did; As regards your questions, here is my experience; I hope it'll help: I did take with me the required fund in US $ and was asked by both immigration and custom officers how much I had with me upon arrival at Toronto airport, obviously as I had the required amount with me, I can't tell what would have happened if I had had less than the prescribed sum (FYI, they didn't ask to see or count the actual money). As for duration of stay, no I didn't inform the officer of my intention for a short stay when asked, neither did I write the actual number of days I intended to stay on the declaration card I was given on the plane. Now I'm back to my home country after spending 10 days in Toronto and am waiting (and praying! ;)) for my PR card to be mailed to my friend's in time so he can DHL it to me, god willing!

So how many days did you say while landing ??

I may do a short landing my self.

thanks !!!

sohaib.chowdhury

Oct 10, 2014
Sarah1791 said:
Dear Cath06
Yes I did; As regards your questions, here is my experience; I hope it'll help: I did take with me the required fund in US $ and was asked by both immigration and custom officers how much I had with me upon arrival at Toronto airport, obviously as I had the required amount with me, I can't tell what would have happened if I had had less than the prescribed sum (FYI, they didn't ask to see or count the actual money). As for duration of stay, no I didn't inform the officer of my intention for a short stay when asked, neither did I write the actual number of days I intended to stay on the declaration card I was given on the plane. Now I'm back to my home country after spending 10 days in Toronto and am waiting (and praying! ;)) for my PR card to be mailed to my friend's in time so he can DHL it to me, god willing!
Dear Sarah,
I am also planning for a short land preferably by next year. Need to know one thing. Have you received your PR card till date.

Sarah1791

Aug 4, 2014
Dear all!
As promised to keep you updated on the status of my case after my short landing in Canada, I'm thrilled to let you all know that I had my PR card delivered to my friend in Canada a couple of days ago after 59 days of my landing date. So while a longer stay until the receipt of a PR card is obviously the safer and more preferable way to go, if you do have to do a short landing, it still seems to be a safe venture as proved by my case and maybe many others whom we don't know of ;)

nchavda

Sep 16, 2015
Thanks for your detail information.

In my case also I will take 1 month short landing in canada and return back to my home country with family. I am also very confuse about my PR card . Because I can not leave in canada for than one month due to stuff at home country.

Is there any people face problem of getting PR card after left canada in short period.

Is there any way to get PR card within one month on immediate basis.

AS I have read in canada website that, If we saw our travel document(payment details of ticket) and return ticket to visa officer at the time of arrival to canada then I can get PR card very shortly.

IS it possible or not ?

Please provide details .

Thanks