+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RQ for Homemaker

HFR

Jul 22, 2012
I applied for Citizenship in May 2011. I went for my test in Glen Erin office in April 2012.

So I recevied the RQ today. Guess my weakness is that I am a homemaker and do not work for remuneration at an employer. Although I have made my home well and work as hard as my husband - volunteer at a hospital and abide by all rules and we both live frugally, within our means and happily within his salary. The officer who intereviewd me on my day of test was not even interested in looking at the supporting documents that I had brought with me - medical records, our utility bills, mortgage documents etc etc etc. Anyways, I will fill out the RQ and send it back as soon as I can.

I have one quick questions, if anyone can help. On the RQ it asks if I declared Canada as my place of residence on the Tax Returns I filed in last four years. I did not file any tax returns myself, my husband files taxes every year based on his salary and claims my exemetion. Should I state as such on the RQ or should I now file Nil returns and wait for notices of assessment from CRA and then attach them with RQ before sending the RQ back.

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You could file zero returns or you could just say that you do not file taxes because you do not make any money. See CRA at http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/flng-blgtns/menu-eng.html for who does or does not have to file their taxes. Filing or not filing taxes therefore does not prove that you live in Canada. You could file zero returns even if you do not live in Canada and you could live in Canada even though you do not file your taxes.

You say you volunteer at the hospital. You should get records of that if you can. If they can say you have been volunteering there x times a week since date x, it is almost as good as having had employment. It is also a very Canadian thing to volunteer and obviously you must have been in Canada in order to be able to do that.

KSAapplicant

May 15, 2011
HFR said:
I applied for Citizenship in May 2011. I went for my test in Glen Erin office in April 2012.

So I recevied the RQ today. Guess my weakness is that I am a homemaker and do not work for remuneration at an employer. Although I have made my home well and work as hard as my husband - volunteer at a hospital and abide by all rules and we both live frugally, within our means and happily within his salary. The officer who intereviewd me on my day of test was not even interested in looking at the supporting documents that I had brought with me - medical records, our utility bills, mortgage documents etc etc etc. Anyways, I will fill out the RQ and send it back as soon as I can.

I have one quick questions, if anyone can help. On the RQ it asks if I declared Canada as my place of residence on the Tax Returns I filed in last four years. I did not file any tax returns myself, my husband files taxes every year based on his salary and claims my exemetion. Should I state as such on the RQ or should I now file Nil returns and wait for notices of assessment from CRA and then attach them with RQ before sending the RQ back.

Thanks

Very surprising ,CIC issued RQ to you just because you are a homemaker ? How did you come to know that you were issued an RQ as you are a home maker ? Did your CO mentioned you this fact?Were you working previously before immigrating to Canada ,if yes that might be the reason for issuing an RQ.

Have you been getting Canada Child Tax Benefits for your kids ,I am asking as in order to get CCTB both husband and wife need to file their yearly return,even its a 0$ for a homemaker wife,she needs to file it any way.

I believe CIC gives only 45 days for sending response for RQ and CRA will take many weeks to send your assessments so if you want to fill it in your RQ forms you can send it alongwith other docs. stating it to CIC that you are going to submit your tax assessments as soon as you receive them from CRA .Not very sure about as I have never read/heard about any such case may be other members could contribute more.

cocosyr

Star Member
Mar 30, 2012
KSAapplicant said:
Very surprising ,CIC issued RQ to you just because you are a homemaker ? How did you come to know that you were issued an RQ as you are a home maker ? Did your CO mentioned you this fact?Were you working previously before immigrating to Canada ,if yes that might be the reason for issuing an RQ.

Have you been getting Canada Child Tax Benefits for your kids ,I am asking as in order to get CCTB both husband and wife need to file their yearly return,even its a 0$ for a homemaker wife,she needs to file it any way.

I believe CIC gives only 45 days for sending response for RQ and CRA will take many weeks to send your assessments so if you want to fill it in your RQ forms you can send it alongwith other docs. stating it to CIC that you are going to submit your tax assessments as soon as you receive them from CRA .Not very sure about as I have never read/heard about any such case may be other members could contribute more.
Surprising indeed, but I don't think she's telling us the full story. It may have nothing to do with her being a GOOD homemaker. People like to make a sensational claim like this when they get a RQ, "I got a RQ BECAUSE I'm a good homemaker!" rather than sit down and analyze what really triggered a RQ.

Regarding tax returns, people are advised to file tax returns even if they have no income, because there are benefits. For example, in Ontario, you can still receive GST/HST tax credit, and you may also be eligible for Ontario Energy and Property tax credit.

You have nothing to worry about if you have solid evidence for you 1095 days of physical presence in Canada. A lot of unemployed PRs get citizenship without any problem.

HFR

Jul 22, 2012
Leon, thanks for the link. I also found the publication related to this. Under those rules doesn’t seem I am required to file returns unless I want to claim GST/HST credits. I don’t think I need those credits and therefore I hadn’t filed before. But I think now I will file anyhow and let Immigration know in RQ that I have filed and will send the Tax Assessments, when they arrive.

Cocosy’r, thanks for your comment, I don’t intend to get into an argument with you. I am not worried at all. My home is Canada since 2007 and I have lived here since. This is the most beautiful “Home” I could have desired. I would not be anywhere than here. This is where my heart and family is. I love this place. I know these are emotions and can not be reviewed by a CO, but I did prepare supporting documents (solid evidence as you appropriately called it – an inch thick stack of papers), I wasn’t given a chance to present them for review at the test date. If they were reviewed, I fully believe the RQ would have been unnecessary and would have saved everyone’s time. I appreciate that they must have their processes which I am not aware of. Many a people seemingly have misused and manipulated the system which was mostly based on honor. Others have to pay the price in the shape of a longer wait time. I understand and respect that. I am not going anywhere or in any rush anyways – this is my home. So I can wait for however long it takes to process my application and apply all the necessary checks and controls deemed necessary. I would humbly request to please not judge people like me so harshly without knowing anything about them.

FK

Apr 9, 2012
HFR,

cococyr's choice of words is unfortunate, but the point is correct. You cannot get RQ for being a homemaker, since employment is not a condition for citizenship. I personally know of one family who have become citizens this July, where only the husband works and the wife is a homemaker.
Maybe if you analyze your case and share with others why you might have got the RQ, it will be of help to others who read this forum.

HFR said:
Leon, thanks for the link. I also found the publication related to this. Under those rules doesn't seem I am required to file returns unless I want to claim GST/HST credits. I don't think I need those credits and therefore I hadn't filed before. But I think now I will file anyhow and let Immigration know in RQ that I have filed and will send the Tax Assessments, when they arrive.

Cocosy'r, thanks for your comment, I don't intend to get into an argument with you. I am not worried at all. My home is Canada since 2007 and I have lived here since. This is the most beautiful “Home” I could have desired. I would not be anywhere than here. This is where my heart and family is. I love this place. I know these are emotions and can not be reviewed by a CO, but I did prepare supporting documents (solid evidence as you appropriately called it – an inch thick stack of papers), I wasn't given a chance to present them for review at the test date. If they were reviewed, I fully believe the RQ would have been unnecessary and would have saved everyone's time. I appreciate that they must have their processes which I am not aware of. Many a people seemingly have misused and manipulated the system which was mostly based on honor. Others have to pay the price in the shape of a longer wait time. I understand and respect that. I am not going anywhere or in any rush anyways – this is my home. So I can wait for however long it takes to process my application and apply all the necessary checks and controls deemed necessary. I would humbly request to please not judge people like me so harshly without knowing anything about them.

HFR

Jul 22, 2012
FK said:
HFR,

cococyr's choice of words is unfortunate, but the point is correct. You cannot get RQ for being a homemaker, since employment is not a condition for citizenship. I personally know of one family who have become citizens this July, where only the husband works and the wife is a homemaker.
Maybe if you analyze your case and share with others why you might have got the RQ, it will be of help to others who read this forum.
I know that officialy you cant be given an RQ for just being a homemaker and not holding down a job. The impression that I have gathered from reading various comments on this forum is that the most solid evidence considered for physical prescence is having a job and going there every day (correct me if I am wrong). The first question I was asked on my test date was if I do a job! I feel I should have been asked why I dont do a job and given an opportunity to explain in five short minutes my life history since arriving in my adopted motherland alongwith supporting documents to prove my truthfulness.

I got married in Dec 2006, my husband sponsored me, I arrived in winter of 2007. Between winter 2007 - May 2011 (when I filed Citizenship request) I visited family in my country of birth twice, once for 21 days and once for 32 days - to be with my mom and dad and other extended family members there. I took one other trip to Europe for 20 or so days. I filed after completing well over the days requirement, almost by two months over. I had all the supporting documents that I attached with the original application and many more that I had brought with me to the test. My passport has entry exits to match. I even have copies of airline tickets and boarding passess for those trips. I did not make any other trips outside Canada other than these. As I explained before I had utlity bills, mortgage papers, bank statements, credit card statements, Ontario Health record for every visit to doctors and many other documents.

Believe me, I analyzed my case and I dont seem to be able to find anyother weakness - sory I can not be of any help to others. I feel sorry for venting my feelings publicly even in the first post that I made. I apologize to Cococyr too. I will just fill the RQ and attach the supporting docs again and will wait.

Thank you all.

cocosyr

Star Member
Mar 30, 2012
HFR said:
I know that officialy you cant be given an RQ for just being a homemaker and not holding down a job. The impression that I have gathered from reading various comments on this forum is that the most solid evidence considered for physical prescence is having a job and going there every day (correct me if I am wrong). The first question I was asked on my test date was if I do a job! I feel I should have been asked why I dont do a job and given an opportunity to explain in five short minutes my life history since arriving in my adopted motherland alongwith supporting documents to prove my truthfulness.

I got married in Dec 2006, my husband sponsored me, I arrived in winter of 2007. Between winter 2007 - May 2011 (when I filed Citizenship request) I visited family in my country of birth twice, once for 21 days and once for 32 days - to be with my mom and dad and other extended family members there. I took one other trip to Europe for 20 or so days. I filed after completing well over the days requirement, almost by two months over. I had all the supporting documents that I attached with the original application and many more that I had brought with me to the test. My passport has entry exits to match. I even have copies of airline tickets and boarding passess for those trips. I did not make any other trips outside Canada other than these. As I explained before I had utlity bills, mortgage papers, bank statements, credit card statements, Ontario Health record for every visit to doctors and many other documents.

Believe me, I analyzed my case and I dont seem to be able to find anyother weakness - sory I can not be of any help to others. I feel sorry for venting my feelings publicly even in the first post that I made. I apologize to Cococyr too. I will just fill the RQ and attach the supporting docs again and will wait.

Thank you all.
No need to apologize. I think your trips abroad rather than you being a homemaker were a red flag, more so if you are from South Asia or the Middle East and/or if you don't have kids. Anyway, thanks for providing more insight into your case.

saint4peace

Star Member
Jul 11, 2012
Taiwan
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 22, 2012
AOR Received.
July 14, 2012
File Transfer...
August 29, 2012
Passport Req..
November 20, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
December 30, 2013
LANDED..........
February 12, 2014
coco...; what has to do with NO kids for receiving RQ ? Please tell more.

kfq

Oct 26, 2012
HFR , please be patient, see my wife,s case, she too is a homemaker,

Applied for citizenship september 2009, started processing may 2012, Received RQ May 2012, Sent RQ documents june 2012, Received test notice September 2012, Test given October 2012.....awaiting result.We are living here , bought a home, kids in Universities,if it is delayed doesnt bother us any more, we sent all the documents after RQ thats why test call came after about 3 months.

By the way all people on the forum should be help full and courteous to each other rather than than doing undue criticism.

Thanks

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HFR said:

Thanks
Hi HFR,

You could have filed income tax returns for all the years your were residing in Canada. Income tax filing is for declaring income. If the income is taxable, pay taxes and if income is non-taxable, you do not need to pay taxes. Even if your income is zero and you have never worked in Canada, you could have filed income tax returns for all the years. I do not know if it is required by law to file income tax returns even with zero income, but as a good resident/citizen, we all should file income tax returns.

My wife is a homemaker and she has never worked in Canada and she has been filing income tax returns for all the years she is living in Canada. She landed in Canada in December 2009 (around Christmas time), and we filed her 2009 income tax return as well. I do not know if that would save my wife a RQ when she files for her citizenship. However, back then in 2010 when we filed her 2009 income tax return, we did not even think about RQ. My parents would be immigrating to Canada in 2012 or 2013 and they won't be working in Canada. I intend to file their income tax returns as well for every year since their landing.

Honestly, I do not know what triggers an RQ. Is it one factor or a combination of factors. Please be advised that if you had filed income tax returns in past, you could have still received a RQ. I do not know what CIC is up to with respect to issuing RQ. Just a humble suggestion to everyone to file income tax returns. It may save a RQ or may not.

kfq

Oct 26, 2012
correction started processing May 2010.

My wife filed Tax returns since 2006 zero income till now but she still got RQ. We don,t know what triggered RQ

But the file does come up some day. :)