+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RQ - Extension - Is it possible?

jkfriends

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I applied for citizenship on Aug-1-2012 and got the acknowledgement a month later. Last week I got the RQ forms. The cover letter date is Mar-26-2013 however I received the mail only last week so obviously I lost about 18+ days. To get the OHIP medical records, it seems that it will take 30 calendar days. Is there a way to file for an extension since 30 days from now goes beyond 45 days limit.

Let me know.

Thanks for your help, JK

jkfriends

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Mary for the suggestion. For my own understanding, is there a concept of filing an extension for RQ process? Is there a process for it?

Halloum

Star Member
Apr 7, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A friend of mine called the 800 number and asked. They told him to send a request to the local office asking for an extension explaining the reasons etc. and then call the 800 again in a couple of days to see whether or not the extension was granted. But do not take my word for it .. call the 800 number and see what they say.. different people answer diffenet things.

Does your letter state 45 Business Days or 45 Calendar days?

Unless you get the extension, i agree with Mary it is safer to submit you RQ on time noting that you have submitted a request to obtain OHIP reports, etc. and that you will submit it as soon as you get them.

jkfriends

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In my cover letter, it says "within 45 days from the date of this notice".

Halloum

Star Member
Apr 7, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The RQ for one of my friends who submitted hers end of March said 45business days (she got her after test). My other friend who received his before the test (yet to submit) his RQ said 45 days. When he called they said calendar days . He did mention that the website says 45 business days but whoever answered him on the phone insisted it is calendar days despite the website. I suggest you call 800 number and see what they say.

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can submit your first file with a letter of explaination. Then submit whatever you have later on with another letter.

I submitted my RQ 1 year late...they recieved it, then I continue to submit additional papers. I called CIC, they confirmed its ok.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jkfriends said:
Hi, I applied for citizenship on Aug-1-2012 and got the acknowledgement a month later. Last week I got the RQ forms. The cover letter date is Mar-26-2013 however I received the mail only last week so obviously I lost about 18+ days. To get the OHIP medical records, it seems that it will take 30 calendar days. Is there a way to file for an extension since 30 days from now goes beyond 45 days limit.

Let me know.

Thanks for your help, JK
CIC Operational Bulletin 476 (November 2012) states 45 Business Days so this is the official timeline. Send what you have with a cover letter that you will mail the remaining documents when you receive them. CIC are aware of the delays for getting info. If CIC don't get anything after the 45 Business Days because you decided to do it your way they give you a 1 week grace period then send you a letter asking for the docs in 30 business days. After this your file is classed abandoned and your application closed. For this reason don't follow the previous posters action (thread above) and mail the docs in your timeline.

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Msafiri said:
CIC Operational Bulletin 476 (November 2012) states 45 Business Days so this is the official timeline. Send what you have with a cover letter that you will mail the remaining documents when you receive them. CIC are aware of the delays for getting info. If CIC don't get anything after the 45 Business Days because you decided to do it your way they give you a 1 week grace period then send you a letter asking for the docs in 30 business days. After this your file is classed abandoned and your application closed. For this reason don't follow the previous posters action (thread above) and mail the docs in your timeline.
I said " submit your first file with a letter of explaination"..meaning in the period of 45 days. Some people dont have all documents back in within 45 days so they can go ahead and submit what they have first and then when other documents arrive, they can submit the addition with explanation.

I have the same suggestion as yours...maybe I was not clear in the previous statement. See below

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nguyentu2001 said:
You can submit your first file with a letter of explaination. Then submit whatever you have later on with another letter.

I submitted my RQ 1 year late...they recieved it, then I continue to submit additional papers. I called CIC, they confirmed its ok.
I should be clearer in the statement above. Always submit in within 45 days.

I submitted 1 year late because the first RQ mail from CIC never got to me...one year later they sent me another letter for RQ requesting me to submit everything within 45 days. And I did.

Halloum

Star Member
Apr 7, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nguyentu2001 said:
I should be clearer for the statement above. Always submit in within 45 days.

I submitted 1 year late because the first RQ mail from CIC never got to me...one year later they sent me another letter for RQ requesting me to submit everything within 45 days. And I did.
Wejn did they send you the original RQ? This must be a long time ago.

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Halloum said:
Wejn did they send you the original RQ? This must be a long time ago.
Yes, first RQ letter from CIC last year. I got second one in Feb 2013.

A few weeks ago....first RQ submitted.
I am submitting additional documents later this month

Halloum

Star Member
Apr 7, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you. Should i assume that when they sent you the original RQ, they also failed to update the status online for you to know that they sent you a letter?

Good luck with your RQ. Focus on quality of evidence more than quantity. If you can think of any redflags relevant to your case make sure you explain them.

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Halloum said:
Thank you. Should i assume that when they sent you the original RQ, they also failed to update the status online for you to know that they sent you a letter?

Good luck with your RQ. Focus on quality of evidence more than quantity. If you can think of any redflags relevant to your case make sure you explain them.
Thank you for your kind advice!
E-Cas did not update detail of status at all for me. Since 2011, it is still in process.
I also changed my new address online when I moved but they never changed it online....until I renewed my PR card this year. It was stupid of me not to call them to change the address but did it online. Maybe, its the reason I did not get the first letter.