+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RQ Expected - Lost Expired Passport- UK Citizen

Flaykee

Feb 2, 2013
This forum has been a wealth of information.

I guess I'm here to vent, moreso because I am so angry with myself! I am Canadian, born and raised, but lived in the UK for 8 years after I met and married my hubby. Getting him to Canada went so smoothely; spousal sponsorship. From the time we applied till he got his visa it was a total of 5 months (this included getting his medical) The application was submitted in June 2007 and by the end of November 2007, he had his visa! This took us by surprise because we were expecting a long wait.

Now in Canada since 2008. He applied for citizenship in October 2011 and in January 2013, received notification of his test on March 6 and oath on March 7. (We live in a small community in Northern Ontario) EXCELLENT! When hubby read his letter, he was like a child, the excitement on his face was priceless!

Then the problem. I wanted to get all his documents together. But I can't find his expired passport. It SHOULD have been in the briefcase with the other passports. We have searched everywhere, and I am definitely blaming myself on this one because I am the one who carries the passports when we travel to the States. We went for a weekend trip to the US in May of last year, and took his old passport just in case we needed it as it had his visa in it. But I have never been careless with passports as I know how important the expired ones are, because of my visa to the UK. Then I keep asking myself if I tossed it out with other things. An old purse? A pile of papers on the computer desk? Grrrr! I am so mad at myself for not remembering!

The only trips we have taken are a few to the US fro weekend getaways. He has no immediate family in the UK, as an only child, when his mom passed away, we made the move to Canada. But without that old passport, there's no way to verify it all. I would have felt better if all passports were lost and not just the most important one with the stamps!

So I have been working my butt off gathering supporting documents. I have all his T4's and Notices of Assessment from 2008 to present, all his ROE's. We have our house deed (both owners), insurance policies, property tax and water bills (both our names, from 2008 onwards), our work insurance policies listing each other as beneficiaries, bank statements from 2008 onwards, copies of his bank account applications, receipts and credit card statements with his name on, a presciption transaction of all scripts from 2008 up, all his medical visits (we haven't received his report from OHIP yet but the clinic here provided this in the interim), all his dental visits, eye test receipt. My goodness, we even have letters of support from various community leaders: the Mayor of our town, a former town councillor, his former employer, our bank manager, the CEO of a neighbouring community I work in where hubby has done volunteer work....I will add at this point, there's something to be said for living in a small town where everyone knows everyone else! We don't have many immigrants here so when my hubby moved here, it was well noted lol. And his work in retail over the years has helped him get to know more people than I do!

We have sent away for the OHIP, CBSA and CBP reports but those won't be here anytime soon.

I don't know how it will go next month, but as it stands now, there isn't much we can do that hasn't already been done. We have a lot of documentation, but will it be enough? We'll have to wait and see. I feel so bad for my husband because he was so close and now, the RQ will mean his 4+ years here will count for nothing. The RQ process takes so long! But it's my carelessness that caused it and I guess that's where my guilt comes in.

I realize that there are a lot of people in worse situations and I do thank you for letting me vent.

I wish you all the best as you travel the path towards Canadian citizenship!

miltonian

Oct 24, 2012
Cross your fingers and hope for the best. He must registered report for his passport lost. Should bring all the documents with him on Test date. Explain the facts to the interviewer,try to show him/her documents.
Usually they don't see the documents other than asked in the test inviation letter, but this scenario is different. The only way to explain residency proof are the documents.
Wish you good luck. Kindly update after his test.

Flaykee

Feb 2, 2013
Thank you!

We have filed a report for the lost passport with the police. We even called the border crossings in Canada and US just to check. Called the hotels we stayed at. My gut feeling is I accidently threw it out.

Flaykee

Feb 2, 2013
My husband is now a Canadian Citizen! He passed his test with 100% and took his Oath of Citizenship the following day. I am so proud of him! It was very emotional for both of us.

He worked hard at learning everything in Discover Canada. This study guide is important to know cover to cover!

But with the lost expired passport, we weren't sure how it was going to go. It still wasn't cut and dry because he still had to go through the interview process as well as have the Judge make a final decision.

The mountains of supporting documents paid off, and they took copies of key pieces. The CBSA report was crucial which we received a few days before his test date. The interview with the Citizenship Officer was important. The one thing is, be organized and have everything you even only think might help.

Also, above all, guard your passports (old and current), PR Card and Landing Papers. Keep these all in a safe place.

Best of luck to you all on your paths to Canadian Citizenship.

crocdile

Nov 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am sitting here, imagining how the application would have been if your husband was originally from India or Lebanon!!! Immigrants are indeed different!

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
crocdile said:
I am sitting here, imagining how the application would have been if your husband was originally from India or Lebanon!!! Immigrants are indeed different!
I'm curious in what way this would make a difference?

crocdile

Nov 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Msafiri said:
I'm curious in what way this would make a difference?
Do you think a "lost passport" case would be processed normally (under 24 months) if the applicant was from Middle east or Africa? People are being RQed nowadays just for moving to a different apartment or just a shopping trip to the US!

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
crocdile said:
Do you think a "lost passport" case would be processed normally (under 24 months) if the applicant was from Middle east or Africa? People are being RQed nowadays just for moving to a different apartment or just a shopping trip to the US!
The applicant had extensive 'active' evidence of his physical presence in Canada at interview which satisfied the Citizenship Officer. Such evidence would have carried the day regardless of nationality.

crocdile

Nov 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Msafiri said:
The applicant had extensive 'active' evidence of his physical presence in Canada at interview which satisfied the Citizenship Officer. Such evidence would have carried the day regardless of nationality.
what are you talking about? They were never asked to provide those documents. Yes, she gathered them but never sent them because she was expecting RQ.

Flaykee

Feb 2, 2013
crocdile said:
what are you talking about? They were never asked to provide those documents. Yes, she gathered them but never sent them because she was expecting RQ.
We did have to provide the documents. My husband had to have an interview. They took copies of the documents. The Judge had to go through the documents. The judge had to make the final decision. My husband was informed by the officer that they might have to bring everything back to Mississauga and he would take his oath at another time, once it was all processed. The judge made the decision based on everything that we did provide.

I have to point out that we are a good 15 hour drive from our processing centre, up north so when citizenship tests and oaths happen here, the officers and judge must fly in for this. They try to get everything done at once because of our isolation. There were only 5 other people writing the test with my husband!

BTW, although my husband came to Canada on a British passport, you are assuming his birth nationality is British. As a side note, I am Indian born in Canada.