+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RQ after test-processing times clarification

flybest1

Star Member
Jan 16, 2013
I got RQ after test on nov 2012, passed the test. Applied in Feb 2011, montreal. I ordered ATIP notes and there is a note in French saying “non-routine case 37 months”. I called them today since today it’s 37 months since application and no answer from them and now the agent is saying that it might take 37 months since they received the RQ, not 37 months since application. So I’ve been here 6 years now and it will take another 2 years…8 years to get citizenship…you must be kidding me…any ideas of what the 37 months might mean? 37 from application or from RQ?thanks

vinaypuri

Jan 1, 2014
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Time to go to your MP followed by doing a mandamus. This is nasty.

flybest1 said:
I got RQ after test on nov 2012, passed the test. Applied in Feb 2011, montreal. I ordered ATIP notes and there is a note in French saying “non-routine case 37 months”. I called them today since today it's 37 months since application and no answer from them and now the agent is saying that it might take 37 months since they received the RQ, not 37 months since application. So I've been here 6 years now and it will take another 2 years...8 years to get citizenship...you must be kidding me...any ideas of what the 37 months might mean? 37 from application or from RQ?thanks

flybest1

Star Member
Jan 16, 2013
yes I contacted my MP..will see ina week or two. I hate when the call center gives misleading info...called again and now they are saying 36-37 months since application but could take longer...ok but at least not 37 months since RQ..I have undercertainty and confusing..say yes or no or specific timeline..

ZYXWVU98

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
not so quick for mandamus. montreal is known for having severe backlog. 36 months is the processing time where office does not experience backlog. montreal is the one with bad backlog, edmunton is also the office had severe backlog, Toronto st Claire is also the one. I would give another 6 months beyond 36 months standard timeline. in the end, going for mandamus is costly.

Quebec resident

Star Member
Mar 2, 2014
Hi Flybest1 , I am quiet sure that your origine is part of the delay, if you are from meadle east country, I guess that officers in Montreal have like instruction to be hard with applicants from certain countries.
some applicants who applied longtime after you , are now citizens , and you are not the only one in this situation
I have a feeling, that Montreal officer have like obligation to delay for no reasons a quantity of applications just for fun
you may see , how they did treat a guy from afganistan: http://www.canlii.org/fr/ca/cfpi/doc/2014/2014fc74/2014fc74.html?searchUrlHash=AAAAAQAIbWFuZGFtdXMAAAAAAQ

flybest1

Star Member
Jan 16, 2013
I'm European, went to school in the US. Not going for a lawyer, why would I spend thousands for nothing. When I call them they say there is no problem with the file and that they are working on it.I dont trust the call agents anymore, they give contradictory info all the time. first they said i didnt pass the test, then they said i did, then that i didnt..well i did pass the test after confirming 10 times. I just dislike the fact that they are so slow and that they dont give you any concrete answers..reached 37 months since application...

Jabuela

Star Member
Feb 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hello Flybeast you are not alone in that boat my husband applied since October 2011 did his test may 2013 and received an RQ after the test immediately, until today there is no news. hopefully we hear something from them soon, we contacted the MP for Help... lets see what's going to happen.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
ZYXWVU98 said:
not so quick for mandamus. montreal is known for having severe backlog. 36 months is the processing time where office does not experience backlog. montreal is the one with bad backlog, edmunton is also the office had severe backlog, Toronto st Claire is also the one. I would give another 6 months beyond 36 months standard timeline. in the end, going for mandamus is costly.
Manadamus is governed by an objective criteria of "reasonableness" not a specific office's backlog. Applicants are not responsible for backlogs, CIC is. But yes, mandamus could be costly unless you succeed in getting the court to order CIC to pay your fees.

ZYXWVU98

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
Jabuela, your husband's timeline is exactly the same as my timeline. what is his local office? my local office is scarborough town centre. a little bit comfort to know that someone is in the same boat with me.

Jabuela said:
hello Flybeast you are not alone in that boat my husband applied since October 2011 did his test may 2013 and received an RQ after the test immediately, until today there is no news. hopefully we hear something from them soon, we contacted the MP for Help... lets see what's going to happen.

torontonian2003

Star Member
Mar 12, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
flybest1 said:
I got RQ after test on nov 2012, passed the test. Applied in Feb 2011, montreal. I ordered ATIP notes and there is a note in French saying “non-routine case 37 months”. I called them today since today it's 37 months since application and no answer from them and now the agent is saying that it might take 37 months since they received the RQ, not 37 months since application. So I've been here 6 years now and it will take another 2 years...8 years to get citizenship...you must be kidding me...any ideas of what the 37 months might mean? 37 from application or from RQ?thanks
I can't agree more with the inconsistencies, misleading and vague responses from the Call Centre agents. Makes you wonder how much they can really see in our files on the GCMS, whether they just make things up playing safe by giving us vague timelines, or worse they're just not being transparent.

I hope that for most of us here who will eventually get their oath and citizenship sooner and had to go through long waits and delays, that we take an effort to revisit our experience in writing and think carefully about constructive criticism about the whole application system. Sort of thinking based on our experience, ideas on how CIC can streamline the whole procedure by avoiding all the pitfalls that happened in our individual cases.

For example, I just wish CIC is more clear about the sort of documentation they want us to provide for our residency claims. Many cases could have been routine if CIC keep applicants better informed of potential problems. Example is the need for CBSA history of border crossing (when you miss a passport stamp). Given that most recent border returns to Canada are no longer stamped in major port of entries (like Toronto or Montreal where you only need to scan your PR card and customs form in an automated kiosk), this becomes problematic. If people are better informed then CBSA records could be requested by individuals well in advance and avoid unnecessary delays which sometimes happen right after testing/interview. The consent question (for CIC to ask CBSA in our behalf) is useless I realized. I gave my consent but they only asked for my CBSA record after I took the test when I already supplied all stamped passport pages to CIC at the time of application.

If you have ideas on how to improve the procedures, kindly write to the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration. It doesn't have to be something general but if a few of us make an effort, perhaps our suggestions and ideas may be heard or addressed to help others in the future.

Good luck to you guys. You're not alone in this agonizing wait.

panamera

Mar 31, 2014
Hi,

My citizenship application was received in June 2011 and I took my citizenship test in June 2012. CIC agent told me I passed the test and will be hearing for the oath. After 100 days I received RQ which I submitted almost 450 pages of supporting documents in September 2012. Since that time I have had no news which I am sure nobody has even looked at my file since sending the requested documents. CIC agent told me to call them in June 2014 (36 months from the date application was received) and they will send an email to St Claire office and the have to reply them within 3 months.
I know post test RQ will take much longer to process compared with pre test RQ.Have you heard anybody with post test RQ going for the oath ? if so what was the timeline.
Any similarities with my case ?
Thanks

flybest1

Star Member
Jan 16, 2013
they did sent a message at the local offic after 35 months for my case..now at 37 months and nothing,said to call them back at 38 months..

allyp

Mar 15, 2013
panamera said:
Hi,

My citizenship application was received in June 2011 and I took my citizenship test in June 2012. CIC agent told me I passed the test and will be hearing for the oath. After 100 days I received RQ which I submitted almost 450 pages of supporting documents in September 2012. Since that time I have had no news which I am sure nobody has even looked at my file since sending the requested documents. CIC agent told me to call them in June 2014 (36 months from the date application was received) and they will send an email to St Claire office and the have to reply them within 3 months.
I know post test RQ will take much longer to process compared with pre test RQ.Have you heard anybody with post test RQ going for the oath ? if so what was the timeline.
Any similarities with my case ?
Thanks
My timeline is

Applied Oct 2010
Test Oct 2011
RQ 2 weeks after test
RQ Submission Dec 2011
35 months - Sept 2013 - 1st message to st clair sent by call center.
38 months - Dec 2013 - 2nd message sent by call center.
41 months - Mar 2013 - 2nd 3 months over.
Current - 42 months no more messages can be sent as per call center.
In between - spoke to mp, got atip no progress.

P.S. Also follow the below link for Post test RQ applicants

https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13758&title=post-test-rq-receipients-Only-since-2009

vinaypuri

Jan 1, 2014
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
These days apps are getting processed within 5 months. Wonder if you guys have option to re-apply for Citizenship??

allyp said:
My timeline is

Applied Oct 2010
Test Oct 2011
RQ 2 weeks after test
RQ Submission Dec 2011
35 months - Sept 2013 - 1st message to st clair sent by call center.
38 months - Dec 2013 - 2nd message sent by call center.
41 months - Mar 2013 - 2nd 3 months over.
Current - 42 months no more messages can be sent as per call center.
In between - spoke to mp, got atip no progress.

P.S. Also follow the below link for Post test RQ applicants

https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13758&title=post-test-rq-receipients-Only-since-2009